LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

My friend says he gets 18mpg but he has more of highway commute. Generally people aren't buying 550+ hp cars for fuel economy.

Per the EPA gov site The 6MT CTS-V was rated at 14/19/16 (city/hwy/avg) and Auto CTS-V 12/18/14. The current ZL1 Camaro is rated 14/20/16, current Z06 is 15/22/18. I only grabbed the MT's, the Camaro is in the same ball park and the COrvette is significantly lighter than the Camaro & CTS.

Personally I think they are bit too fast for my daily driver needs. It crossed my mind to keep my 2.5i and wait a couple years to buy a CTS-V or few year for a ATS-V.

Check out this guy's experience, I don't care how fast it is, for the price you can do better in refinement and cost to own. I agree these are not really daily drivers IMO unless you are just cruising through work until retirement, lol.

https://dougdemuro.kinja.com/cts-v-wagon-update-how-bad-is-the-gas-mileage-really-912522859

Check out this guy's experience, I don't care how fast it is, for the price you can do better in refinement and cost to own. I agree these are not really daily drivers IMO unless you are just cruising through work until retirement, lol.

https://dougdemuro.kinja.com/cts-v-wagon-update-how-bad-is-the-gas-mileage-really-912522859

How is any of that surprising given the context he provides? The guy admits every other paragraph that he puts his foot to the floor when he's accelerating, and appears to essentially treat backroads like a race course. He's accelerating and decelerating constantly given where and how he drives. I get shitty gas mileage in my LGT when I drive like that too, but I simply have less physical space to cram fuel into my cylinders.

I got 8 mpg at Laguna Seca. Lol!

Lets do the math.... 40 laps x 2.5 miles per laps is 100 miles on the race track, so 12 gallons used. With a 250 mile round trip to the race track, I averaged 14 mpg on the day. Started the day with a full tank, put 13 gallons in at the track, and got home with 1/4 tank left.

Edited by GTEASER

• I Donated
CTS-V wagon manual.

:wub:

Baller status though. Those are still mostly over $60k used.

Thirsty v8 in a not that great/roomy of a car.

I disagree that the car is not great. And most V8s are thirsty. My SS is rated at 14/22. I generally get closer to 14 (or below) than 22.

At least for me I really really liked the CTS-V, the super charged LS motor is on my bucket list (most likely in a Corvette).

I may eventually supercharge my SS, once the warranty is up.

I would just expect that it would do better than 14ish mpg average, based on motor trends long term tester.

Especially considering how much more efficient the Camaro and corvette are in with the same engine and power. Even a pickup does better than that.

Nope, sorry, a big V8 will always be thirsty, even NA, but espeically with a supercharger. It's why so many manufacturers are going to turbo V6es instead of V8s, and turbo 4s instead of V6es. Hard to meet CAFE requirements with a big NA engine.

You guys are bending over hard to justify the poor gas mileage of this wagon...I get it big engine drinks a lot of gas...but when a 7klb 4wd truck gets the same gas mileage as your 2wd midsize wagon...performance be damned your doing something wrong or you just don't care. That caddy should be pulling high 20s low 30s on the highway if you stay out of the go pedal and it can't.

Technology has come way too far for that to be acceptable to me.

You guys are bending over hard to justify the poor gas mileage of this wagon...I get it big engine drinks a lot of gas...but when a 7klb 4wd truck gets the same gas mileage as your 2wd midsize wagon...performance be damned your doing something wrong or you just don't care. That caddy should be pulling high 20s low 30s on the highway if you stay out of the go pedal and it can't.

Technology has come way too far for that to be acceptable to me.

Sorry it won't. It does not have DI, nor cylinder deactivation.

In return, though, it's uber mod happy. 600 whp for less than $2k in mods all day long. Though mine is stock.

Lol, for the price of that cts-v you could have a prius and a nice used corvette, ;)

I just think for the money Cadillac wants they should be offering more even if you want pure performance there are better options.

As to doing something wrong or not caring. I don't care!

However, I admit range of 200-250 miles is slightly annoying. Wish it had a larger tank.

Lol, for the price of that cts-v you could have a prius and a nice used corvette, ;)

I just think for the money Cadillac wants they should be offering more even if you want pure performance there are better options.

Yeah, but.. At least in my case, track would be 3-5 times a year (if that), driving around town, to/from work, etc is almost every day. Would much rather have a CTS-V for that driving profile than a Vette that gets driven maybe 30-40 times a year if I plan correctly, and a Prius I have to drive 200+ times a year..

I'd imagine part of the "problem" is that the Caddy is intended to be more performance-oriented than a truck, and with the LS_ (or the derivatives you see in trucks) being a fixed-cam, 2-valve, cam-in-block engine, you're "stuck" with whatever cam you have in there, and you can only do so much with ignition timing. If you have a performance cam, that's not going to help much with mileage, and a mild cam is gonna suck for go-fast applications. We in LGT-ville are spoiled with DOHC and DAVCS, in addition to the lower fixed displacement.

...now if GM made an LS derivative that used that fancy no-spark ignition Mazda cooked up when cruising, that'd be pretty interesting.

At least for me, if I was dreaming and Kia appeared as my next car, I would classify that as a nightmare. Sorry.

Why?

My Santa Fe Sport has 10x the build quality, fit n' finish, features, and dealer support than my Subaru. And a hell of a lot better reliability... Just sayin' [emoji6]

At least for me, if I was dreaming and Kia appeared as my next car, I would classify that as a nightmare. Sorry.
I would probably be saying the same thing but this appears to be a step in an entirely new direction for them. And it's a full size Grand Touring, well powered, awd sedan. I'd give it a test drive before dismissing it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Why?

My Santa Fe Sport has 10x the build quality, fit n' finish, features, and dealer support than my Subaru. And a hell of a lot better reliability... Just sayin' [emoji6]

I think 10x is exaggerating a little bit.

My nice answer is the historical the long term reliability and quality of Hyundia and Kia has been poor. I have heard over and over that Hyundia quality and reliability 90's, 00's, and now the 2010's has improved. It is too early to judge the newest models, but past history has shown that Hyundia and Kia fall short to their direct competitors and I would not buy or recommend one without a drastic shift and some long term history to back it up. I have no experience with a 2013 Hyundia Sante Fe though. I have never driven one or know any with issues.

If you have some thick skin you can keep reading for my unfiltered opinion.

[rant]Pre 2010, I think they are piece of ****. The jury is out for the newer models, I suspect the new ones are same old POS. The older models used sub standard parts and cut corners. Their is a reason why they always cost less than their competitors, it is smoke and mirrors. They are cheap POS car that they try to cover up with marketing and styling. The performance cars always underperform for the advertised hp. The couple people I know that have modified them have quickly run into issues with low quality parts. I am mechanically inclined. When I have wrenched on them, the parts look to **** quality. The fasteners are low quality and don't hold up well to salt belt.

Car companies with the longest warranty have also been historical unreliable. The marketing use the long warranty to cover up the unreliable car, the 2000's Hyundia have proven to be no fluke. I do not expect the newest models to be any different. Co-workers that have or currently own them do often mention the best in class warranty. I think they are suckers, because most reliable cars have no major issue to 100k anyways.

From 2012 to 2015 I travelled a lot for work, so I ended up renting a lot of cars. The Kia Soul, Hyundia Elantra and Sonata rental cars I drove left me unimpressed. The Hyundia transmissions were among the worst I drove in their class, which is IMO is pretty low standard these days. (the Kia wasn't that bad) The way the car handled and steered was numb and again the standard is pretty low these days. The interior may look at first glance looks good, but their isn't a soft plastic in those cars, it is a sea of cheap plastic. Again worst in class. The infotainment looked impressive but was clunky. Maybe it was rental car option level that were. The Sonata make the Legacy seem like a luxury car. I tried to avoid them like the plague as rental. I have no idea who would buy those particular rental level of cars, maybe someone who doesn't like to drive cars or didn't test drive the competition or only judges the car by the price, spec sheet and pictures.

I have dozens of stories and experiences over the last 30 year for Hyundia (less of the Kia) of why they are POS. I don't trust them. Obviously I am biased against them, but I think I have good reasons to be. This is why a Kia Stinger would be in my nightmare.[/rant]

I think 10x is exaggerating a little bit.

My nice answer is the historical the long term reliability and quality of Hyundia and Kia has been poor. I have heard over and over that Hyundia quality and reliability 90's, 00's, and now the 2010's has improved. It is too early to judge the newest models, but past history has shown that Hyundia and Kia fall short to their direct competitors and I would not buy or recommend one without a drastic shift and some long term history to back it up. I have no experience with a 2013 Hyundia Sante Fe though. I have never driven one or know any with issues.

If you have some thick skin you can keep reading for my unfiltered opinion.

[rant]Pre 2010, I think they are piece of ****. The jury is out for the newer models, I suspect the new ones are same old POS. The older models used sub standard parts and cut corners. Their is a reason why they always cost less than their competitors, it is smoke and mirrors. They are cheap POS car that they try to cover up with marketing and styling. The performance cars always underperform for the advertised hp. The couple people I know that have modified them have quickly run into issues with low quality parts. I am mechanically inclined. When I have wrenched on them, the parts look to **** quality. The fasteners are low quality and don't hold up well to salt belt.

Car companies with the longest warranty have also been historical unreliable. The marketing use the long warranty to cover up the unreliable car, the 2000's Hyundia have proven to be no fluke. I do not expect the newest models to be any different. Co-workers that have or currently own them do often mention the best in class warranty. I think they are suckers, because most reliable cars have no major issue to 100k anyways.

From 2012 to 2015 I travelled a lot for work, so I ended up renting a lot of cars. The Kia Soul, Hyundia Elantra and Sonata rental cars I drove left me unimpressed. The Hyundia transmissions were among the worst I drove in their class, which is IMO is pretty low standard these days. (the Kia wasn't that bad) The way the car handled and steered was numb and again the standard is pretty low these days. The interior may look at first glance looks good, but their isn't a soft plastic in those cars, it is a sea of cheap plastic. Again worst in class. The infotainment looked impressive but was clunky. Maybe it was rental car option level that were. The Sonata make the Legacy seem like a luxury car. I tried to avoid them like the plague as rental. I have no idea who would buy those particular rental level of cars, maybe someone who doesn't like to drive cars or didn't test drive the competition or only judges the car by the price, spec sheet and pictures.

I have dozens of stories and experiences over the last 30 year for Hyundia (less of the Kia) of why they are POS. I don't trust them. Obviously I am biased against them, but I think I have good reasons to be. This is why a Kia Stinger would be in my nightmare.[/rant]

Fair enough. You were obviously driving base models because uptrim Subaru interiors are not even in the same league as uptrim Hyundai's. They just aren't.

Look, I get it... They used to be total crap. Same was true for Toyotas and Honda's 30 years ago and Mazdas 15 years ago. I'm just saying that it's simply not true now. I can tell you that the warranty issues I've had with both my Hyundai and my Subaru make me wish that Subaru treated me even close to as well as Hyundai has.

But hey. Maybe I'm just imagining it [emoji6]

In any case, thanks for the background info.

Why?

I drove a 2017 Sante Fe (bigger one). Overall agree with you. Except suspension was crashy at 80 and the fatal flaw the dash gauges grabbed the sun and threw it in my eyes.

Subaru is going the way of the "pretty good car". Which worked amazing for Toyota, so can't blame them.

• I Donated
You guys are bending over hard to justify the poor gas mileage of this wagon...I get it big engine drinks a lot of gas...but when a 7klb 4wd truck gets the same gas mileage as your 2wd midsize wagon...performance be damned your doing something wrong or you just don't care.

The terrible mileage in my SS is justified every time I floor it. And I do that a lot. Hence the terrible mileage. ;)

And the SS only has 415 hp, to the CTS-V's 556. I'm sorry, there are no internal-combustion engines with 556 hp that get good mileage.

Yeah, but then, as others have said, you'd have to drive a Prius most of the time. I have a car that I can drive 365 days a year, take my coworkers to lunch, grab groceries or even building/garden supplies (in limited quantities) at Home Depot, and still go 0-100+ on my favorite stretch of road on my morning commute.

Name a better/faster option for $60-70k new.

I'm usually in the 18 mpg range with mostly city driving, but we are talking post LGT. I would want more if I am paying more.

If you want more mileage with that kind of performance, buy a Tesla. Be prepared to pay accordingly though.

[/rant]

My wife's Veloster Turbo is a great commuter car. Plenty of pep (200 hp in a 2600 lb car), automatic transmission does what you want it to most of the time, interior is waaaay better than the WRX I had before my SS, and it has been pretty reliable. Currently at around 55,000 miles and no mechanical issues. Only warranty problem has been a tailgate handle that needed replacement. Is it perfect? No. But it's at least on par with your average Toyota from a reliability/polish standpoint, and better from a performance standpoint. And considering Toyota is their competitive benchmark, I'd say that's pretty good.

Fair enough. You were obviously driving base models because uptrim Subaru interiors are not even in the same league as uptrim Hyundai's. They just aren't.

Look, I get it... They used to be total crap. Same was true for Toyotas and Honda's 30 years ago and Mazdas 15 years ago. I'm just saying that it's simply not true now. I can tell you that the warranty issues I've had with both my Hyundai and my Subaru make me wish that Subaru treated me even close to as well as Hyundai has.

But hey. Maybe I'm just imagining it [emoji6]

In any case, thanks for the background info.

I would disagree, 30 years ago Honda's and Toyotas were still much better than their rivals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would disagree, 30 years ago Honda's and Toyotas were still much better than their rivals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Agreed, I wasn't going to split hairs over the difference between 30 and 40 years.

I actually think Toyota's heyday for enthusiasts was 25-30 years ago. The Supra, All Trac Celica, MR2, they even had GTS performance models for the Corolla and Celica. The Camry 4's, Corolla's, Trucks, 4Runner all were dead reliable and with many examples going 300k+ miles. I had an 85 Supra that was one of favorite car I have owned. It even had better interior build quality than my 86 Corvette I had, even thought the MSRP was more than 50% more expensive.

Agreed, I wasn't going to split hairs over the difference between 30 and 40 years.

I actually think Toyota's heyday for enthusiasts was 25-30 years ago. The Supra, All Trac Celica, MR2, they even had GTS performance models for the Corolla and Celica. The Camry 4's, Corolla's, Trucks, 4Runner all were dead reliable and with many examples going 300k+ miles. I had an 85 Supra that was one of favorite car I have owned. It even had better interior build quality than my 86 Corvette I had, even thought the MSRP was more than 50% more expensive.

My dad currently owns an 88 camry that car feels light and nimble with plenty of grunt from the 2.0. And runs like a champ.

The terrible mileage in my SS is justified every time I floor it. And I do that a lot. Hence the terrible mileage. ;)

And the SS only has 415 hp, to the CTS-V's 556. I'm sorry, there are no internal-combustion engines with 556 hp that get good mileage.

But there are cars that can match those performance figures and still eek out better mileage, that was my point. And again its my opinion, for my money a Lexus or BMW sport sedan would be the choice, or a preowned P85.