LegacyGT.com

Noname 08 OBXT Rebuild Thread

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking through some threads here because I was thinking of doing that. Idk if the obxt and lgt have a different steering ratio but apparently some people were having issues with vdc kicking in for no reason after the swap. That coupled with a post from covertrussian stating that rebuild kits are about $50 and that he replaced the leaking seal on his without even having to pull the rack makes me think that's the better route.

It's never going to see a track anyway so I'm not sure that the difference if 0.4 turn to lock is going to be worth it enough for me. First step will be locating the leak though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll also have two weeks of the car parked while I'm in Florida (driving there in a different vehicle) and then another 4 days when I get back. So I'm thinking I can pull the starter and steering rack (if necessary) and regrease the starter and rebuild the rack, possibly with me tie rods, while I'm down there.

Yeah. You may have vdc issue with that rack.

As for the PS leak, how does the top of the PS pump look like? Is it bone dry? There are a couple of orings there that are known to leak.

Nah it looks greasy. But I didn't clean it while the engine was out. I don't see anything on the head around the pump, but the pump isn't clean. Maybe I need to clean it then. Wherever it's leaking though, it is definitely dripping to the ground and when I looked this morning I didn't see anything on the splash shield.

If you get a chance tonight, throw a big piece of cardboard under the engine and see what you have in the AM.

FWIW, the replacement rack in my wagon (June 2012) is slowly leaking from the box area. May be on the top and flowing down. It's not getting on the ground, the reservoir takes a long time to go down. I noticed a couple dirty drops of PS fluid on it when I changed the oil last Friday.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well I did the cardboard but I didn't think to remove the undershield. I had two spots though, one in the area of where the hard lines go into the steering rack, and one under the turbo. Definitely going to get under there tomorrow and see what I can see.

Yeah. Just put the car on jack stands, remove the plastic shield and carefully inspect.

Yea that's the plan. I'm just technically not allowed to do that. I've lost access to my work space and supposedly my apartment complex forbids it. Thought about trying to find a friend with a driveway, but that requires more friends and people who don't live on the mountain side.

Sigh. Man these rules in apartment complexes. I bet they refer to actual dismantling and stuff like that. You are only checking things really, not taking stuff apart. It would take you 20mn no? I mean, I am not encouraging you to break these rules :spin:.

Yea. It actually says no vehicle repair and no oil changes. Not that it stopped my 8pm oil change a few weeks back. People are dumb and I'm sure they don't want them tossing used oil in the dumpsters.

To be fair to the complex, my jack and stands left small indentations in the tarmac and there was not nearly enough space to work. I'm moving at the end of March and plan to get a place with at least a garage. Preferably a house with storage space for a project car as well. For now it sounds like I might help my buddy clean out his garage although he lives about an hour away and in the mountains.

Any stores with big backlots around? I used to go behind a RiteAid and nobody said a word.

That's a fantastic idea. Yea I can think of a couple places actually and that'll let me get under there tonight while the ground is still dry.

Well, you're not repairing anything. You're just looking no? But yeah, jack stands on asphalt is not a good idea.

Yea I hadn't realized it would be an issue. The small wheels on my floor jack dug in as well. I don't think I'd really get in trouble working quick stuff out there, but it's at best not ideal.

You can remove the plastic under engine shield without jacking the car up at all.

It's not easy, but I've done it several times.

Yea that's how I got it back on haha. I don't think I've ever had so much gross stuff in my beard. I've decided it has to get ponytailed now when I get under the car. It's just too large and everything is covered in salt and grime from winter under there.

Yea I have but they always seemed like more trouble than a jack and stands. Might be time to reconsider. Would certainly be easier to carry down the stairs and throw in the car.

Well I got under there. Just left it on the ground, advantage of the outback I can just barely fit under it. Pulled the shield and it's definitely coming from where one of the hard lines goes into the rack. The rack itself appears to be OK and the oil spots I saw were from it dripping into the crossmember. No leaks around the turbo.

The prior fluid that was in there is red. It looks pretty clean so I'm thinking po had been filling it frequently with atf. Still plan to drain and fill it tomorrow. It also looks like there is some grease build up around where the steering column goes into the rack. I'm not sure if that's old road grime I didn't clean off or if something around there is leaking too.

What I was surprised and disappointed to see is that my driver side valve cover appears to have a small leak. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from but it's clean on the top and by the oil filler. And it doesn't appear to be an issue of the spark plug gaskets. A bit bummed because I had the machine shop assemble that. But the oil looks brown not red so I don't think it's splash from the steering.

Tried to get photos but it's dark and not lots of room bbe68526f1c010cb850f2feacb3e36e8.jpg505a523a5b298e1c5637c0eb2a13a85a.jpgf3a0c9dbe79493c8f3bfdb5ff3df4470.jpg

Also while I was under there I grabbed a hold of my cv joints. Drive side definitely has more axial play than the passenger side. I'm going to take a guess that's what my whining noise is coming from.

Shower thoughts make me realize that doesn't make sense. It doesn't have play in the boot, but at the connection between the shaft and transmission. As in if I grab the shaft and move it in and out or try to twist it, the only movement I get is between the axle and transmission not in the actual bearings in the boot. Oh well. Time to dig around and learn what I can about the rack.

Edited by Nonamedude

Big bummer. I'm currently having similar issues. Minor leak from the heads, a small leak from the valve covers. Oil leaks are no fun at all. Good luck. I look forward to hearing about what else you uncover.

Yea it's been quite the adventure. I'm hoping the machine shop will just agree to take care of the valve cover since they assembled it. I'm hoping the steering rack will be easy as well. Can't wait to be able to move on to fun stuff. Winter tires, tune, functional fog lights.

I'm pretty sure it's not. The top of the head and valve cover are clean as well as the banjo bolt and around the ocv. The spark plug area also appears to be clean although the coil pack wire has some splatter on it. Plan is to wipe it down real good and check it tomorrow.

Bought new (to me) skis today. First pair actually. So going out tomorrow morning. No canyon driving though because it's supposed to be snowing and my tires aren't legal. I'll be taking the park and ride shuttle.

Well to probably no one's surprise, I have a new potential problem. On the way home tonight driving slow through a neighborhood, it sounds like I run over some metal, and a few feet later it sounds like it's in the rear right tire. Well I get out to check and don't see anything particular but for whatever reason I grab and shake the tire and I hear and clunking.

Pull into a parking lot and get under the car and everything feels tight. Trailing arms, struts, sway bar, brake dust shields, rear cv, differential, exhaust. Can't get anything to move. Go rip around the parking lot trying to put some stress on the rear and get out and try to knock things around. Everything feels good except some small play in the wheels.

I'm not hearing the metal sound so I might come out to a flat tire. But I'm not sure about the side to side play. I also can hear the clunk if I grab the roof bars and shake the car. I'm thinking maybe it could be suspension related? The struts aren't leaking.

First the oil leak: did you carefully inspect the base of the oil filler neck? There is a gasket there. Mine leaked and oil slowly went down the valve cover (including part of the coil pack). Almost looks like yours. Just needs to change that gasket.

The clunking you hear may come from the rear swaybar/endlinks touching some other suspension part. Have a body shake the car while you are inspecting.