LegacyGT.com

Winter Gas Mileage

I drive a 2007 Legacy 2.5i and I've noticed a significant drop in my my gas mileage as the weather gets cold. I've seen a drop of around 25-30%. I've read online that "winter gas" is a contributor as well cold weather starts, but 30% drop seems extreme to me.

Anyone else experience the same?

I have been complaining about this in my 5th gen since I got it. It is not winter gas.

I took 2 identical trips this year, one at Thanksgiving when it was cold, and one at Christmas with the inexplicable 70 degree streak. Long trips from Atlanta, GA to west TN to middle TN back to west TN and back to Atlanta.

In the cold I got 25.5 average, in the warm I got 29.8 (calculated and within .3 of the dash computer I have adjusted to be close to correct).

Some of lower winter gas mileage is due to increased drag from thicker drivetrain (rear end, transmission) fluids and lower tire pressures, which most people forget to check (it decreases about 1 pound per 10 degrees) and to raise when it gets colder. Minutes after your car leaves an attached garage, the pressure drops by 2-3 psi.

In addition, the dash computer is optimistically inaccurate.

Winter blends are fully rolled-out by 30 September and usually remain in effect until March 31st. I have always lost 3-5mpg with my first tank and subsequent tanks of winter blend. Notice improved MPGs with first tank of Summer blend. And, FWIW, my actual mileage doesn't settle-in on any of my Subes until >20K miles.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Is anybody else with a 3.0 or 3.6 running premium fuel? I didn't buy into the premium gas myth for a long time, then started tuning, and had a lot of pinging. Switched to premium, and it feels like a completely different vehicle. Better gas mileage too!

Pretty much what I get. And I am anal about cleaning MAF/Filter/Plugs/etc but drive spiritedly

I clean the MAF and air filter once a year. I did the spark plugs when I bought the car with about 65K on it. Its got 77K now.

Is anybody else with a 3.0 or 3.6 running premium fuel? I didn't buy into the premium gas myth for a long time, then started tuning, and had a lot of pinging. Switched to premium, and it feels like a completely different vehicle. Better gas mileage too!

I only run premium. Which is 93 in my area.

3.0 H6es were designed to be run on 91+ premium fuel (higher CR) while the 3.6 H6es were designed to be run on 87 regular fuel (lower CR).
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'm doing better than you guys. Averaging 29.4 mpg (US gallon) right now and its below freezing. I do however commit the cardinal sin of either warming my engine up for 5 minutes or generally taking it easy until the engine is fully warmed up.

Update: Last night I checked and I'm at 28Mpg for this tank. I'll attribute that to the weather creating more stop'n'go. My car is manual BTW.

Archived