LegacyGT.com

New cheap all metal after market intercoolers $200 - Rev9

So last year I was forced to replace my intercooler. Didn't have money for a nice one. So I got a used stock one for about 200. The all metal ones were $500+ and I couldn't swing that cash. Now I'm paying the price as the "new" one is leaking. I'm trying a JB weld fix but I'm back in the intercooler market. Apparently since my last shopping adventure eBay has been flooded with these cheap $200 all metal intercoolers! And they look good but I'm weary of the cheap ebay trap. Granted there's no moving parts. I'm curious as to the public opinion and if anyone by chance has tried one of these or even has experience with the brand Rev9. I've never heard of them. How much can possibly go wrong with a non-moving part? And if something was wrong I would surely know before the 90 day refund period passes right?

I know cheap ebay parts are a bit of taboo in this community. But if these are good then we would have a cheap upgrade/replacement path for our intercoolers.

Screenshot_20180326-015732.thumb.png.e8314f6f97db46c3578574a3fc1b419c.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those actually come from the same supplier that Perrin purchases from. I'm sure it will work fine. The reason they've come down in price is because the cars are old now, and leftover inventory is most likely all that's left. I would bet that when they are gone, there won't be another run of them.

Looks like Perrin no longer offers them, which may be directly related to why they're now available via this cheaper channel.

Sweet price, if I wanted my intercooler banging up against my clutch slave cylinder I would totally grab one.

Looks like Perrin no longer offers them, which may be directly related to why they're now available via this cheaper channel.

Sweet price, if I wanted my intercooler banging up against my clutch slave cylinder I would totally grab one.

I wonder if you loosen the turbo on the up pipe, then install the tmic, locate it on the TB start the two bolts in the turbo outlet, verify you have clearance at the clutch cylinder, start the support bolts and tighten things up slowly you may be able to have the clearance you need. (?)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I might be picking one up in the near future. If I do I'll be sure to post back here with the results and how it holds up. I'm going stage 2 in week or two.

If it's the supplier Perrin uses I'd feel alot better about grabbing one.

That's what is in my 05 LGT, works great and I got it for $200 shipped with Best Offer. I also had the oem turbo heatshield ceramic coated to block more heat. I can upload a pic of it installed later this evening.

That's what is in my 05 LGT, works great and I got it for $200 shipped with Best Offer. I also had the oem turbo heatshield ceramic coated to block more heat. I can upload a pic of it installed later this evening.

Yeah that would be awesome thanks! I recently put a turbo blanket on mine. The heat shield didn't quite fit right anymore and was rattling so i figured id go for the blanket.

Also out of curiosity, How long has yours been installed?

I'm following this for sure. I am in the same camp of being wary like Max, but I don't feel that spending $900+ on the advised Grimmspeed is necessary for my DD car.

I learned this lesson with endlinks. Sure you can buy billet adjustable ones but the Moog endlinks are awesome for a lot less. I'm hoping the same is true for the Rev9 intercooler.

There were thousands and thousands of these style intercoolers installed on MT cars and they worked fine. If you have that issue, then there is an alignment problem somewhere as Max talked about.

If you are inclined to try one, then loosen everything up, make sure everything fits and nothing hits, and tighten everything up gently and evenly. I have no doubt it will work fine.

With a bit of tinker these should fit fine, can’t speak to build quality as I had an actual Perrin unit but I just swapped out to the GrimmSpeed TMIC after 9 years on the Perrin and it’s been hassle free the entire time.

Yeah that would be awesome thanks! I recently put a turbo blanket on mine. The heat shield didn't quite fit right anymore and was rattling so i figured id go for the blanket.

Also out of curiosity, How long has yours been installed?

Over a year now and I did have to trim the OEM heatshield because of the CNT downpipe/VF52 were bigger not because of TMIC size.

20170318_120120.thumb.jpg.761721fd294c22406d2c3737a0c2183b.jpg

Over a year now and I did have to trim the OEM heatshield because of the CNT downpipe/VF52 were bigger not because of TMIC size.

Wow thats cool. Thanks for the picture! Glad to hear how well its done. I am definitely considering it now. Also curious. How much did you pay for yours? I was a bit flustered to see how the price came down after i bought a crappy second hand stock one. Let alone a nice metal one.

I'd like to know too. If I'm completely stock, would I need a tune to run one of these?

Theres no reason you would need a tune if ONLY running this TMIC. Now if you plan on turning up the boost or something then yes you should get a tune. But just for this unit? It will do fine on a stock tune as far as im aware. Maybe someone with more tuning experience can correct me or back me up.

I believe you are correct a tune is not needed for one of these. But, we all know the stock tune in these cars is junk. They all should be on a custom tune or at least Cobb AP stage 1. Even a street tune is better then stock.

My Spec B is only street tuned for the 3" DP and GS TMIC.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I read a review from someone disappointed that it wasn't really bolt on, which I read to actually mean plug and play.

How was the install? What sort of modifications need to be made for it to bolt up?

Yeah i saw a review on amazon for this that said it didn't bolt up quite right and the gasket from the stock TMIC doesn't fit so you need to find one. This person was also using an aftermarket throttle body hose so im not sure his fitment is right. But still since there is not alot of reviews its certainly a gamble. But with ebays 90 day money back guarantee it you could always get a refund

That looks just like my Perrin and even Perrin had a little fit issues...I didn't have to shave any matl. or anything like that but the throttle body hose has to be clamped just right so you don't get boost leaks and put on first before bolting it up...But this thing kicks butt and just finished my tune from MIKE @(Tuning Alliance) and im really pleased with it all...

The thing I always worry about with these is the slag and shavings inside. I've seen a 1/4 cup of crap pour out of both ends. That eventually ends up clogging the IC or worse, in your engine. Not worth it IMHO
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Didn't really have to modify anything, I over-tightened the hose clamp that goes to the throttle body and replaced it cause I bent the tabs.

It came with a big O-ring type gasket that rolled into a slot where it bolts onto turbo side, but if you don't like that one there's always black silicone in a can.

Archived