LegacyGT.com

High power gain from vf52

I had my legacy gt protuned and hit huge numbers for legacy gt with a vf52 and basically stock block with refresh heads and arp head studs.... I made 375 whp and 450 torque... Granted I do have a lot of supporting bolt on mods. 850 cc injectors, fuel pump and basically everything that u can bolt on... Even killer b equal length headers... I just wanna know if other people have made similar power as me.

Nah, it would be nice, but a VF52 on pump gas won’t make that kind of power. Dynos read differently depending on what they are, (Mustang, Dynojet, etc) and depending on how they are calibrated, they can vary widely. Typical VF52 numbers with supporting mods are around 300HP to the wheels

And how is the tune? Is this thing living on the edge? You can squeeze every last bit out of them but they usually don't last long. Remember they usually run better than they ever have right before they go boom.

I'm not doubting your results but those are very good numbers. My H/C/I 5.0L V8 posted less but runs very strong. That car will be a blast for you.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
I had my legacy gt protuned and hit huge numbers for legacy gt with a vf52 and basically stock block with refresh heads and arp head studs.... I made 375 whp and 450 torque... Granted I do have a lot of supporting bolt on mods. 850 cc injectors, fuel pump and basically everything that u can bolt on... Even killer b equal length headers... I just wanna know if other people have made similar power as me.

No way, you made these numbers. 450 TQ, I hope your looking for a 6 speed cause that tranny will not hold. You can check my build thread and see all my parts, and I have a tad bit head work done minus the killer b ELH and I made 311/324 on a very conservative 18.5 PSI.

I also have the clutch and fly to support it. My tuner did a great job, and the car move out strong with an EJ257 now, but he said we would leave it at that power to be safe. I would like to see 320, but the tranny will never last long with 450 TQ.

I have ARPs and studs, and rails, custom lines, pump, 1000cc injectors, and soo much more. Yeah I could get you power and turn it up but it will not last. You will have fun but not for long.

To hit those numbers in the summer would be nearly impossible... In the winter on a dynojet with e85 maybe. Is that pump gas or e85? Do you have a scan of the dyno sheet? Did they add any SAE correction factor? What brand dyno?

To hit those numbers in the summer would be nearly impossible... In the winter on a dynojet with e85 maybe. Is that pump gas or e85? Do you have a scan of the dyno sheet? Did they add any SAE correction factor? What brand dyno?

E85 on a Dynojet. I do have the dyno sheet, pretty typical looking. Idk about the correction factor but I do believe it has one. I’ve seen people make as much as 330whp with a VF52 on a Mustang dyno. Giving a standard 15% difference, the numbers are believable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TheMonaLisa

post the dyno chart?

generally threads like this get followed up with threads in wtb of "need 5mt as mine blew up" or my personal favorite "ynansb".

my pro tuner said he could get 450tq out of my build. I passed. Not long after, the shop got a bad rep for high tq builds that failed catastrophically.

A tune that looks like "^" will make big numbers.

I achieved these high numbers on a Spec.B (6MT) with a built short block, head studs, head gaskets, header, catless, clutch, light flywheel, full fuel system. The car is a turbo upgrade away from 500hp. Edited by TheMonaLisa

1c53959dc73aef4ebfb76a698754ae41.jpg

My tuner believes his dyno is calibrated appropriately because multiple cars tuned on it have hit the calculated 1/4 mile times given the dyno horsepower numbers. I’ve seen a VF52 WRX run 11.9 in the quarter mile so I do think it’s accurate.

e34d01436e2eaaca7fbfb84c15381e86.jpg

This is what my car was capable of with a VF52 on E85 (bottom numbers) at 23 psi boost. Bare in mind it has every supporting mod available except for an external waste gate.

numbers on a dyno sheet don't tell much. Where's the rest?

This was my first run. The final one is lost on a cell phone somewhere, but is flat from 4000-7000.

attachment.php?attachmentid=118132&d=1337095106

Edited by boxkita

I couldn't find my latest Dyno print out but I had it protuned almost 1 1/2 years ago. I do have my Dyno sheet prior to the last one. I am aware of weak transmission and I don't drive car hard at all probably why it's still going lol.

But thanks again for the response. When I have time I will look for the latest and post it

Am curious why you build a setup that is undriveable with transmission? Seems like being able to drive it hard on the existing would be more fun than having a dyno queen?

Even my wimpy build destroyed the 5mt twice. First time, it was rebuildable. Second was just shrapnel, so bot a new one

Yes I believe it is for standard ambient temperature and barometric pressure.

Those numbers aren't crazy for a dynojet. Dynojets will always read higher than Mustangs or Superflows, I think my torque was 100 ft lbs higher on a dynojet than a Mustang. I helped a friend install his mustang dyno so we used my car as a test pig on his Mustang and on an dynojet and superflow, just to get comparisons.

I'm at altitude, which makes a huge difference...

MAC (Dynojet) - 1.24SAE, 70deg day

Carz (Superflow)- 1.24SAE, 85deg day

Cryotune (Mustang) - 1.19SAE, 55deg day

MAC corrected - 391 ft lbs, 361hp

Carz corrected - 360 ft lbs, 336hp

Cryotune corrected - 352 ft lbs, 292hp

Those look wildly different. I decided to plot the uncorrected for fun and that's where things start to look a bit different.

MAC uncorrected - 315 ft lbs, 291hp

Carz uncorrected - 290 ft lbs, 270hp

Cryotune uncorrected - 295 ft lbs, 245hp

This is where things get even more fun, I tested the same dyno on different temperature days.

For reference, there was a 2017 STI on the MAC dynojet before me, he had intake, full exhaust and a couple other things. His graph corrected was 294hp, 352 ft lbs. So we know the dynojet torque reads high, again, just look at the changes vs the final number.

MAC dynojet corrected at 1.24SAE (70deg) - 391 ft lbs, 361hp

MAC dynojet corrected at 1.23SAE (62deg) - 444 ft lbs, 373hp

Carz Superflow corrected at 1.24SAE (85deg) - 360 ft lbs, 336hp

Cryotune Mustang corrected at 1.19SAE (55deg) - 352 ft lbs, 292hp

Now for the uncorrected numbers....

MAC uncorrected (70deg) - 315 ft lbs, 291hp

MAC uncorrected (62deg) - 362 ft lbs, 304hp

Carz uncorrected (85deg) - 290 ft lbs, 270hp

Cryotune uncorrected (55deg) - 295 ft lbs, 245hp

On the exact same dyno with the exact same tune and exact same parts, it picked up 47 ft lbs and 13hp by just an 8deg change in ambient temp. Damn...