LegacyGT.com

Tons of power steering squeal

making the assumption that it didnt' change from your year to mine.

it would be on the passenger side. in front of the strut tower. it's a little tank. ....think it's beside the ABS thing/lines

...changing it out...im not too sure..but you'd have to obviously take the belt off...i think it would be pretty straight forward from there. but i could be wrong ~

For the last several weeks it's been happening when the wheel is turned all the way left or right. Now it constantly squeels when the car is stopped and I turn the wheel even slightly. What do nao?

Don't turn the wheel all the way left or right.:lol: You can always count on me to be helpful Etank.

If the fluids are fine it sounds like the belt must be belt slippage causing the ps to struggle. I had a Plymouth Valient that did it once upon a time but I don't know if it is the same thing.

Same thing happened to me a month ago. At first I thought it was the power steering pump going out. Turned out to be belt slippage

+1 to that! I had the same thing happening lately, and i had the belt adjusted and everything seems fine now!

JP

its your belt i just replace mines... it wasn't too expensive and fairly easy to change... basically I had the same problem u guys had until it got worst. Then I was trying to find the problem and realize some other guys had the same problem but their belt broke and mess up their A/C compressor and everything...

I've been trying to tighten my power steering belt using the bolt above the shroud near the alternator, but when i tighten it too much the sliding bolt underneath the belt touches the belt itself. I can't get it tight enough to stop the slippage without this bolt touching. Any ideas?

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
I've been trying to tighten my power steering belt using the bolt above the shroud near the alternator, but when i tighten it too much the sliding bolt underneath the belt touches the belt itself. I can't get it tight enough to stop the slippage without this bolt touching. Any ideas?

I know this is an old thread. My mechanic had exactly the same problem when trying to tighten this belt. He said that this is a design problem with Subaru. Is there any solution for this?

I know this is an old thread. My mechanic had exactly the same problem when trying to tighten this belt. He said that this is a design problem with Subaru. Is there any solution for this?

Perhaps the belt has stretched over time? I've got plenty of room for adjustment on my car. I don't think it's a design problem. That bolt simply pivots the alternator, and the other pulleys are fixed in position (crank and PS pump).

Yeah. that's strange. I never had any issue to adjust this belt on both cars. Wrong belt?

Well, the mechanic said that he saw this problem in the past on a Subaru and that the belt itself looked very good and probably was changed recently, so it is not likely to be stretched.

I've got plenty of room for adjustment on my car. I don't think it's a design problem. That bolt simply pivots the alternator, and the other pulleys are fixed in position (crank and PS pump).

That's interesting. I will take some pictures... The belt doesn't seem to be stretched...

Archived