LegacyGT.com

I’m in!

So I have been an on and off again lurker. Started back in late 04 looking for a car for my wife and based on her specifications went full on Subie. She ended up with an 07 outback 2.5i. I always loved the legacy gt wagon but was not meant to be...until now!

I got a red 05 gt 5mt. With ~66k mi.

Bought it from a dealership approximately 900mi away from my location and driving it back noticed I did not get a lot of power out of it. Turned out the turbo died due to the uppipe cat disinagrating and throwing bits into the prop.

The dealership owned up and paid for the repair.

The ultimate plan is to add a turbo upgrade, new down pipe, intercooler, and access port.

I will post pics later when I figure out how to do it.

At any rate y’all are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate all the info posted here.

Been a few weeks since this type story came up on here. Its pretty common, The turbo goes or the engine on the drive home form buying the car or with in a week.

Glad it turned out well for you.

Do you know if any metal got into the oil system ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Max, It’s funny because I was trying to be super careful in my hunt for the car that I thought I thought with this one having such low mileage that I would have avoided this. I drive less that 10kmi/yr so my think was that the turbo fail seeming to average around 100-120k mi that I would have had 4ish years of worry free driving and then I would put the go fast bits on. So I guess Christmas came early?

As for metal passing to the oil the shop that is doing the enhancements said they did not find anything today worry, but I am still doing an oil change regardless.

Once you have the oil drained (through a piece of panty hose or a paint strainer, looking for metal bits), straighten out a coat hanger and tape a Q-tip on the end and swab around the inside of the bottom of the pan and see if you find any metal. Do it about 3 or 4 times.

If you have nothing on the Q-tips, you should be OK. Might be prudent to change the oil cooler though as it's the best hiding place for metal.

Also, the paint (after 14yrs of life) needs some “refreshing”. My wife’s friends hubby does wraps, so if I can get a discount I would probably go that route rather than a full paint job.

I know that this can be contentious on wrap vs paint any thoughts?

Was thinking either galaxy blue or mica grey (my 2011 wrx was that color and it was pretty slick, but not sure how it would look on the leggy)

Archived