LegacyGT.com

How to Install JDM Mirror + Powerfolding (Or SAP non-power)

Searched through the forums and didn't find a dedicated post for this. I have compiled a bunch of images in my build thread, but figured I should separate it out for those searching for it.

Parts List:

• JDM Mirror (Or SAP/Ebay Mirror with turn signals only, No Power Folding)
    • PN: TBD

• Fog light Switch (if OEM option not installed)
    • PN: H4510AJ000

Tools:

• Flat head screwdriver (to help remove caps for door panel)
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • 10mm
  • Wire (USDM cars do not come with turn signal wires, or power folding, #Gauge is what I used)
  • Wire Cutters
  • Soldering Iron or Connectors
  • Multi-Meter
  • Coat Hanger
  • Heat Shrink
  • Zip Ties

Procedure:

1) Remove door panel (2 screws)+ Mirror cap to expose hardware and plugs for mirror

2) Unbolt Factory Mirror by removing (3 Bolts)

3) Bolt JDM (SAP) Mirror in place of factory mirror

To add Turn Signal/Power Folding Function to Mirrors

1) You will need to feed wires through the wire loom/grommet.

Note: There are multiple ways to do it, but this is the CLEANEST and OEM like.

• Unplug the Door harness from the footwell area as circled. Pull the Grommet through the sheet metal door (there's a plastic locking cap on the fender side that needs to be removed; it has 3 prongs). It is easy to remove the door bar to gain some more access, but not needed.

pvWP8pW.jpg

2) Feed 2 wires (for turn signal) or 4 wires (for turn signal + power folding, if avail) through the grommet using clothes hanger. It is easier to keep the grommet straight, run the hanger through, then pull wires out. I made sure to label the wires I wanted to designate as turn signal and power folding.

86H6Bq5.jpg

3) At this point, you can run the wires back into the door and back into the footwell for the rest of the wiring.

ua4nqeL.jpg

4) The JDM mirror comes with a different mirror connector, so I de-pinned the USDM mirror connector and swapped the JDM connector to USDM. This is NOT necessary, but cleans up the build. Whatever you do, just connect the identical wires together, which leave 4 wires untouched (for turn signal and power folding). I started adding new connectors (4x Molex connector that I salvaged from computer parts).

Per Sam Wong: Wiring harness is as followed

Mirror Adjustment (Mirror Side)

• Blue - mirror (switch polarity between either purple or red)
  • Purple - negative down - positive up
  • Red - negative right - positive left
  • Black/black - heater (defrost)

Turn Signal Wires (Mirror Side)

• Driver: Green (+) (Positive) | White (-) (Negative)
  • Passenger: White (+) (Positive) | Green (-) (Negative)

Power Folding Wires (Mirror Side)

• Brown/Grey - fold in/out (switch polarity)
  • Brown - Positive(+), Grey - Negative(-): Close Mirror (Folds in)
  • Grey - Positive(+), Brown - Negative(-): Open Mirror (Folds out)

X73u2RD.jpg

For Turn Signal wiring

5) On the Chassis Side, the turn signals can be tapped into the wire harness in the footwell. The following colors are what to look for:

• Driver Side: Solid Blue Wire for Positive (+); ground (-) to chassis
  • Passenger: Red with Green Stripe Wire for Positive (+); ground(-) to chassis

Driver Side:

Zm5hC0b.jpg

Passenger Side:

SMaKbVe.jpg

For Power Folding Function

Note:

IMPORTANT!: Make sure the fog lights are off (open position) if you want to relocate the fog light switch to the turn signal stalk.

6) Pull the lower dash panel to gain access to the factory -OEM optional fog switch, if not purchase. PN: TBD

3hnkbgC.jpg

7) Depin the Fog Light wire (Green / Red) [Follow the important note at the beginning. Make sure the Fog is turned off if you want to relocate the fog light switch!]

• I am not responsible if something happens to your car. Make sure you measure with a multi-meter before connecting anything.

C4T0UkW.jpg

8) The following wires in the fog light switch is used to power the folding feature:

• Solid Blue (Positive) | Solid White (Negative) (Paired together)
  • Blue/Red (Positive) | Black/White (Negative) (Paired together)

a8uKhK5.jpgVPWGHd7.jpg

8) Run newly created power folding wires back to the wires the wires from the mirror.

• Driver side was fairly simple; however, passenger side require running the wires across the vehicle.

WpjTQ90.jpg

9) Attach wires to fog light module and test!

qD5ps9h.jpg

Edited by valkrie hunter

Thanks to Jerry, he was able to confirm connectors for SAP (Special Appearance) Mirrors. We believe the plug is the same for JDM models, you would need to add wires through the door grommet for the turn signal (2 wires per side). It would either need to be T-Tapped, or connected somehow.

Note: I would de-pin and re-pin the connector for the cleanest setup.

Wiring:

Turn Signal Wires (Mirror Side)

• Driver: Green (+) (Positive) | White (-) (Negative)
  • Passenger: White (+) (Positive) | Green (-) (Negative)

Jerry's Photos of SAP Mirror connector

iva1ekP.jpg

mrATROU.jpg

Edited by valkrie hunter

if you arent interested in power fold like myself, I just ran the signal wires through the door loom and then up into the engine bay where I tapped the front signals for power. Youll obviously need to extend the wires for this method though

• 4 weeks later...