LegacyGT.com

88k LGT transmission failing

Hey everyone, haven’t posted here in a long time. Hope you all are doing well! The poor 5th gen community has dwindled quite a bit as I’m sure they have moved on to other communities. Either way, my 6 speed Manuals synchros are getting bad, not able to find 5th sometimes, binding going into 4th and now got stuck in 3rd. Had to double clutch to get it out. I was gonna trade it in for and Rs3 or Tesla model 3 Performance but decided to keep her alive finding a trans 90 minutes away from me in NY for $2k with 77k miles on it. Luckily the install will be cheap as I get cheap labor where I work. Who else has had transmission issues on there 5th gen LGT? I don’t see many posts here.433ec8eb50f0ff114b6b83403796f872.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine just won’t find 3rd-5th progressively getting worse and cable, bushing etc all look good [emoji18]. Would love to do an Sti swap but don’t have the patience for it right now. Are you replacing or dealing with it for now.

Andrewtech has rebuilt two of my bug eye transmissions with 1-3 LGT gears ironically enough.

Edited by wrxwhit

My 4th gear synchro was a little noisy a while back. A stock fluid change seems to have made it happy. Back when I had my bugeye, it got a little grindy when it got up in miles, a fluid cocktail from AndrewTech quieted it down.

https://andrewtechautomotive.com/product/ata-transmission-fluid-cocktail/

We have a different transmission than the prior EJ255 WRX/LGT, the factory fill on them starting in 2014 is a different weight fluid.

I thought all of the MTs were using a GL5 rated 75w90 gear oil - did they drop down to 75w80 for the WRX? (answered my question with a quick search - apparently they did with Subaru Extra MT which is a 75W80)

Well, my 77k used trans just arrived!! Will prob start the install next week. This will hopefully get me by this year then a 2021 RS3 yaaaaayyyy!!!

Wtf!!! The shifter bracket on top of the tranny is bent to shit. How the heck does that happen? Is it possibly when I was trying to force it into gear from bad servos or are the internals ok and the bracket was the issue the whole time.

e3886dcd1cc93131234cbf27d76f4fab.jpg

0fcad54098536487cc216b722b468fd8.jpg

The new trans is working great but I’m having trouble finding 3rd and 5th feels tight. Maybe the shifter stop moved as well. Time to investigate more

e53edbab7c71427043eef3b678d0d931.jpg

Edited by wrxwhit