LegacyGT.com

Switch to 5w30 in the 2.5L?

... only on paper can you tell a difference between oil when it comes to 0w-20 - 5W20, and 5w-30 - 10W-30.

Huh? Those numbers denote differing real-world physical properties of those oils.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I noticed my 2013 FB25 was eating some oil, I run Amsoil in all my cars, and was running 0W-20. I had some Amsoil 5W-30 sitting around from my old WRX and put it in and had no issue.

I went back to 5W-20 and will be changing my oil this weekend. I have know the 0w-20 was for miles and blah blah for a while. these car a tuff. I also did a deep dive and only on paper can you tell a difference between oil when it comes to 0w-20 - 5W20, and 5w-30 - 10W-30.

stick your car in -20F temps with no block heater and tell me that. the 0-20 synthetic will absolutely make it easier to start the car.. and flows much better in the cold...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree, most oil threads degrade into pointless arguing and incorrect info. They are more confusing than helpful.

Use whatever oil you want to, it is you car and you can do what you want. I have stayed with 0W20 in my 2019 2.5 and it has over 190K miles without issue. The thicker is better argument is a dangerous one on new engines. Maybe in a 1960s Chevy it might help.