LegacyGT.com

What did you buy for your 5th gen today? - V3

I rebuilt an AMC 401 for my old CJ-7 with my dad about 23 years ago. He is a mechanic so he did most of the work. For some reason rebuilding the flat 4 seems daunting to me though.

That being said, looks good and hope everything goes smooth.

I am going to take my time, read the service manual a bunch of times, and double check everything. I assembled my GMC Syclone V6 motor 11 years ago, so I have done this level of work before (I also rebuilt the automatic transmission on that truck as well which is an even more daunting task)

In some ways this boxer 4 is easier. The machine shop already set the valve lash (my 4.3 has shaft mount rockers that that you set lash with the pushrod length). The timing belt is easier than measuring and degreeing in a camshaft. On the flip side, I am not as familiar with a boxer engine and its seems like it has more bolts and parts.

It will likely take more than 1 weekend to assemble it, because I will have forgotten something that I have to order or I will have a question about assembly. I would rather do it right and wait another weekend or two. On flip side I would like to be driving a GT again and I have snow tires for it ;)

Subaru engines are incredibly simple, even though they seem more complicated. Everything goes back together relatively easy and there aren't many surprises. Even the block is straightforward. The timing set is the hardest part of all of that, IMO.

That generic front lip I grabbed from Ebay is complete garbage and doesn't fit in any way shape or form that looks any sort of good lmao. I'll post some details and pictures for reference when it's not so cold outside.

which one did you get? seems people in the past have had good results

One of the 3-piece generic Chinese ones. They popped up about 4-6 months ago on ebay and seemingly have fitment for just about every car, but its all just """"fitment"""" and not actual fitment. It's no where near the right shape or size. It's this one. I was 95% sure it wouldn't fit but just thought to try it since it was on a cheap sale. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumper-Lip-Body-Kit-Spoiler-For-Subaru-WRX-STI-Impreza-Legacy-2002-2019/401728465174?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

ah, yeah, universal fits always seem to be universally don't fit without a ton of work. i think picking up one of the v limited style fronts is the way to go--little more expensive, but basically guaranteed fit makes that worth it

First off, not trying to copy Humble [emoji6]. But I love his use of Cusco parts. Anywho, found these on Craigslist 2 hrs outside of KC and since we were kinda around there for a weekend trip, we swung by and picked them up.

f1f186ab0e41b68f34ebe05a64ac6d10.jpg

A guy had a fairly modded ‘14 Forester XT and was taking it back to stock. This was the only part that fit our cars (that I needed). Got them for $80. I would love to have the steering wheel, but would still need the airbag, and I have a 20mm rear sway bar already.

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/pts/d/columbia-aftermarket-parts-subaru/7061307529.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Falcor

^That set is actually the only brace I DON'T have installed yet for two reasons 1. Luis sourced an extra set of that hardware and I misplaced it in my house and 2. They attached to the lead bolt of the rear LCA, and since the Whiteline LCAs have an eccentric bolt there, I'd have to get re-aligned afterwards.

I was wondering if alignment would get jacked up installing these. The next Cusco brace I want is the front member brace (687 492 FM), but really think we could fab that up here at work.

I may wait till I do the suspension work to install the rear braces though.

I was wondering if alignment would get jacked up installing these. The next Cusco brace I want is the front member brace (687 492 FM), but really think we could fab that up here at work.

I may wait till I do the suspension work to install the rear braces though.

If you have stock rear LCA's there should be no hesitating installing these because the removing the stock LCA bolt and putting it back won't affect your alignment.

The Front Member braces are easily the most noticeable change on install and the easiest to install. Highly recommended, I think I've said it before but they honestly should be like the 2nd thing a 5th gen does after a rear sway bar.

The Front Member braces are easily the most noticeable change on install and the easiest to install. Highly recommended, I think I've said it before but they honestly should be like the 2nd thing a 5th gen does after a rear sway bar.

Pic of installed brace pleez?

Have to say that shopping for the braces isn’t super easy/transparent. CUSCO uses a part number for different braces that differ by one or two letters, and many vendors have pics that don’t correspond to the specific brace. “687 492 FM” gets you a lot of different pics and my fingers are crossed that where I bought mine yesterday gets it right. Even the Cusco US site is wonky.

I was having trouble finding somewhere I felt confident in purchasing from yesterday as well... I guess I'll wait to see what you end up with dudemonster. Like you said, lots of different pictures out there for the same part#...

Where did you order from?

I ended up with mine as a set from Yahoo.jp auctions, but a consistent easy way to find all the braces is to search "Cusco Legacy BM" on ebay. The plates are the second result. Granted, not for $132.30, but it's at least a consistent way to locate a seller for them and the other braces.

Cusco search: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=cusco+legacy+bm&_sacat=0

Plates: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSCO-Power-Brace-Front-Members-End-For-LEGACY-B4-BM9-4WD-25002500T-687-492-FM/192658791717?hash=item2cdb5bdd25:g:gNAAAOSwj81bnSgo

Since we’ve got people a sniffing around the braces again, figure it’d be important to share this info to make sure no one needlessly spends their money.

Here’s Cusco’s 5th-gen specific catalogue:

F649-E578-DD00-49-E8-8-D9-C-3-A238-F770-F28.jpg

Concerning the Power Braces, USDM cars can make use of the braces marked B, C, & D. So that would be:

B) 687 492 FM - Front Member

C) 687 492 RS - Rear Side Member

D) 687 492 RM - Rear Member

The Power Brace marked A - 687 492 F - Front WILL NOT WORK FOR ANY USDM MODEL. As it says on the sheet, it’s not for BRF, and for AT only. BRF is the designation for the 3.6R Outback (BR = wagon, F = EZ36 engine, Japan only had the 3.6R available as an Outback, not a Legacy) and as far as I’m aware, AT specifically means 5EAT, NOT the CVT. So it will only fit auto 2.5GT’s with the 5EAT transmission, which don’t exist in America. It won’t fit the 3.6R because the headers obstruct it, and I can’t confirm if it will fit the CVT or not but I don’t know any 2.5i here crazy enough to drop $400 to find out. There is a North American 3.6R that is working on having a custom-routed exhaust made to work around that brace specifically to be able to fit it, but for everyone else in North America, don’t bother with that one.

FRSport notified they are out of stock on 687 492 FM, despite their site saying it was available, and that it would be 2 months getting it from Cusco JP. Canceled and ordered at andysautosport.com for $139 (free shipping). Let’s see how they do.