LegacyGT.com

Motor Blower Fan Getting Louder...

Hey everybody. I've been noticing that the motor blower fan in my car seems to be getting louder. Any suggestions as to what I should use to replace it? I feel like it might be a bearing or something. I attached links below to the videos I took of the sound.

Part 1:

Part 2:

(Better sound of the motor blower)

Remove the blower fan assembly and clean the fan with compressed air. You'll find lots of dust bunnies and such on it. Usually when the fail they really make a racket, or don't work at all. I attached the FSM on how to remove it.

Based on you video - check the cabin air filter. That sounds more like a restriction in the ductwork than a bad fan.

10. Blower Motor.pdf

Edited by poconoracing

Remove the blower fan assembly and clean the fan with compressed air. You'll find lots of dust bunnies and such on it. Usually when the fail they really make a racket, or don't work at all. I attached the FSM on how to remove it.

Based on you video - check the cabin air filter. That sounds more like a restriction in the ductwork than a bad fan.

That's the thing though, both videos were taken with the air filter out... I replaced the filter after I took the videos. I also did what you mentioned, which is clean it with a can of compressed air. There were a few things of dust, but nothing crazy. I guess I can live with the noise. I mainly notice it when it's quiet in my car (no music/not driving) while the air is on the lowest setting.

Cycling the HVAC through the different settings does the air come out of the correct locations? temperature change correctly? Maybe you have a stuck blend door or actuator making it sound different.

If its not that, the blower assembly is pretty cheap - like $45 aftermarket on amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=2013+legacy+blower+motor&ref=nb_sb_noss

New OEM is ~$160 MSRP- PN 72223AJ01A.

Might be able to find it cheaper online or ebay

Cycling the HVAC through the different settings does the air come out of the correct locations? temperature change correctly? Maybe you have a stuck blend door or actuator making it sound different.

If its not that, the blower assembly is pretty cheap - like $45 aftermarket on amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=2013+legacy+blower+motor&ref=nb_sb_noss

New OEM is ~$160 MSRP- PN 72223AJ01A.

Might be able to find it cheaper online or ebay

All the settings work perfect. Whether it be heat or A/C. Temperature is spot on, never have any issues with it thankfully. That's what throws me off, considering the noise is a bit loud. Maybe at some point when it warms up again I'll try swapping the assembly.

All the settings work perfect. Whether it be heat or A/C. Temperature is spot on, never have any issues with it thankfully. That's what throws me off, considering the noise is a bit loud. Maybe at some point when it warms up again I'll try swapping the assembly.
I would pull it out and check for dirt and debris in the blower wheel. Cleaning it will certainly help in any case.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk