LegacyGT.com

Pass. fog light pocket for "ram air"?

smallblock

Has anyone put together a cold air intake that uses the pocket where the passenger side fog light resides as a "ram air" inlet, and relocated the fog lights? Seems like it would work. Plenty of room in there.

I just took out the fog light and used some heater pipe to route the air from the fog up to the intake. i hardly use my fogs during summer so its no big deal. figure when winter comes the air will be cold enough that it wont need a ram air so i will

take it back apart and put my fog back in.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

So did you just plumb it into the resonator hole in the stock airbox?

I need to measure the air pressure at the stock air intake point and at the fog light hole with a manometer. I'd still rather relocate the fogs.

might be a dumb question, but how is this any different from the stock intake scoop mounted at the grille? it's "plumbed" to the airbox as well. is the idea to have both? seems like you're still gonna get the same flow out of the air box anyway, no matter how many feeds you run to it.

am i missing the idea?

It's not about speed, it's about acceleration!

I made mine so i could get additional air into the engine bay where the air filter sits. i have a k&n typhoon and it gets mighty toasty at idle. so i rigged up a way to get cooler air from outside the engine bay.

But if you are idling there is no movement to "ram" the air in.

its more of a cooling unit, mainly made it for when i was on the dyno. so i could set a fan up in front of it so the intake temps would be 200+. plus it doesnt hurt to have for autox, any air i can get to the filter helps a great deal.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

The path through the stock air scoop behind the grille looks quite torturous, and I'd like to get cool air from a high pressure area. The fog light looks like an ideal place, although testing may show that it holds no benefit over the stock scoop due to its location.

I'm just looking to see what kind of data exists for those who have tried it.

Thanks to legacy2005 for your observations about your setup. Time for some instrumented testing, I guess.

We all seek to maximize n in PV=nRT (the ideal gas law), this applies to NA or forced induction. Colder, higher pressure air is always better, be it straight into the throttle body or compressor.

What I did is take a piece of aluminum and angle it from behind the grill into the stock air inlet under the hood. Attaching it to the radiator support. It didn't seem to do much at low speeds but something is going on there because I am getting better mileage. Most of my driving is highway and when it rains (real hard) the filter gets wet.

I ended up going to an AEM CAI because when I put the Subaru Bug Deflector on it basically closed that intake on the top of the grill off almost completely. Now my air filter is way down in the passenger tire well where there is really no "open or free-flowing" access to the outside air. It runs better with the skidplate off, but I would rather not, so this may be a good option or starting point. I may just make a snorkel that goes through the side of the skid right in that area.
Let's kick this pig!

I ended up going to an AEM CAI because when I put the Subaru Bug Deflector on it basically closed that intake on the top of the grill off almost completely. Now my air filter is way down in the passenger tire well where there is really no "open or free-flowing" access to the outside air. It runs better with the skidplate off, but I would rather not, so this may be a good option or starting point. I may just make a snorkel that goes through the side of the skid right in that area.

Actually, I don't think you have to do, or remove, anything with that AEM down there. Taking that 'skidplate' off is bad both for the car's airflow and for cooling. It helps draw air through the TMIC as well as engine compartment.

Extensive logging has shown that the AEM CAI allows IATs from 0 to 3 degrees of ambient, excellent numbers unaproachable with short rams or stock intake.

The ONLY modification to the AEM installation I made concerned potential water problems some have reported. You can bet that taking that undercover off would greatly exacerbate that issue.

Ya, I'm just talking about track days. I'm aware that the bottom of my air filter is only about 8" off the ground on the gutter side and the engine bay opening is perfect for water splash. Thats why I have a heatshield on the exposed side of my filter already. Besides, I don't drive my car in the rain or the winter if I can help it. Thats why I have a Jeep, Range Rover or Yaris.;)

As for cooling; (again at the track) with the skidplate and engine shroud on; my engine won't cool down at all inbetween runs this time of year even after an hour between runs. Removing the skidplate would at least allow air to actually flow through the engine compartment(by convection if nothing else) and blow onto the block and oil pan while the vehicle is sitting still with the hood up and the engine is not running.

Let's kick this pig!

• 12 years later...

Has anyone come up with a decent way to do this? My goal would be getting intake air as close to ambient as possible. I will have a large Cone air filter sitting down in that area where the airbox used to be.

I could just remove the pax side fog light but I think it will look pretty bad.

I don't need either fog light so willing to remove both, but would like something that looks decent and preferably inconspicuous.

Maybe it would look fine w/o the fog light at all?

Just a big gaping hole?

a_20161006_1510395774.png

for a track car, you want air from high up on the car. Everything near the surface is dirty, oily, gritty and otherwise terrible for your engine. The front snorkel is extremely good at bringing in enough air with very little water content.

If you really want a bigger snorkel, I had one custom made in cf. Has a scoop to gather more air.

At the moment I have a very large cone filter in the stock airbox location, probably not bad for IAT. If nothing else, leaving the air filter ON and temporarily removing the fog light for a drag strip day should not hurt, but not sure if it would help to make it worth the effort.

If I could get the air UP to cool my supercharger (like the brake duct one) that might be the best use of it.