LegacyGT.com

Potential CVT Issue - 2015 3.6R

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well a little update.. Cars in the shop for the transmission diagnostic, So they gave me a 2020 Forester Sport for a loaner.. Review after a day driving it it's about a 5 outta 10 for me...

Pro's

New Eyesite is very nice Steering Wheel actually follows the road to a point. If corner is to sharp and to fast of speed steering kicks out.

Comfort of the seats are nice.

Large Sunroof

Apple and Android Auto

Cons

Poor Padding on Center Console lid plus very little storage

White background lights on stereo and dash lighting instead of red lighting which is on the doors and center console switches.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
HTCVT or whatever its called has been repaired twice with my car so far. 2015 3.6R. I noticed the first leak while doing an oil change, brought it in and they separated the engine and (tranny) replaced the leaking seal and sent me on my way. 3k miles later when I went to change my oil I noticed the leak again and thought i was loosing my mind. Brought it back and was then informed that there was a TSB on the replacement gasket they installed. It was bad. So, they separated them again and replaced the same seal. For those of you who don't know, it is a very involved process to separate 2 components that are not supposed to be separated. i.e, the exhaust has to be removed, the subframe dropped, etc, etc. You would think they would offer an oil change or to do a tranny fluid exchange, right? Nope. They literally just fill the tranny back up and done. I'm at 83k miles and I'm planning on not seeing 90k. Between the handling with the dead spot on center while highway driving and unknown tranny reliability... Not to mention a rough idle that appears to be (normal).. I love Subaru, but as Kenny Rogers would put it... - Know when to fold em' and walk away..

HTCVT or whatever its called has been repaired twice with my car so far. 2015 3.6R. I noticed the first leak while doing an oil change, brought it in and they separated the engine and (tranny) replaced the leaking seal and sent me on my way. 3k miles later when I went to change my oil I noticed the leak again and thought i was loosing my mind. Brought it back and was then informed that there was a TSB on the replacement gasket they installed. It was bad. So, they separated them again and replaced the same seal. For those of you who don't know, it is a very involved process to separate 2 components that are not supposed to be separated. i.e, the exhaust has to be removed, the subframe dropped, etc, etc. You would think they would offer an oil change or to do a tranny fluid exchange, right? Nope. They literally just fill the tranny back up and done. I'm at 83k miles and I'm planning on not seeing 90k. Between the handling with the dead spot on center while highway driving and unknown tranny reliability... Not to mention a rough idle that appears to be (normal).. I love Subaru, but as Kenny Rogers would put it... - Know when to fold em' and walk away..
My first tranny went 94k Miles before the replacement then 2nd one leaked at 40k from the seals as stated above I'm hoping this lasts to 200k because Labor is a Killer.. Once my Tranny Permanently Fails I'll have a Crusher Car because I'm not paying 10k for a New Transmission

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I'm at 136k, no leaks, original trans. This all makes me wonder if I should preemptively ditch the car.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Occasional external checks for leaks and even less frequent checks of CVT fluid level would probably be a good idea, though.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I'm at 136k, no leaks, original trans. This all makes me wonder if I should preemptively ditch the car. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Awww, C'mon Shooter .... you have the same year, same model (albeit a bit more mileage) as me ..... drain and fill the tranny fluid and keep it, ... I was counting on racing you to 300,000K :lol:

Awww, C'mon Shooter .... you have the same year, same model (albeit a bit more mileage) as me ..... drain and fill the tranny fluid and keep it, ... I was counting on racing you to 300,000K [emoji38]
Yeah, my response may have been just a little tongue in cheek. Lol!

While I read these reports with a little concern I have no intention of getting rid of my car over an issue I don't have. There are too many variables for me to make such a decision and besides, I like my car. When I bought it my intention was to put 200k on it and then see how it goes after that. 300k might be a bit of a reach but time will tell. I'll still race ya to 200k though. Lol!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk