LegacyGT.com

Rusted Recall Brake Line Failed

Hello Everyone as I know this recall was on the topics but I want to know if some of you change that brake line, the recall was done and anti-rust was applied but it failed as mine now was leaking, luckily I’m not driving it on the road, it was suddenly happens that it is in the garage and have to use it for some short errand but when I press on the brakes it goes down all the way

214c2fc9255c015cd4386c913f0961e4.jpg

9b97be10fe1da7c1cc5baf9a111455a3.jpg

c5fb8d06aab0fee65afa13656ba2f935.jpg

Now may I know if some of you did this task as I’m looking underneath the closest brake line is easy to replace but the Driver Side Rear went on top of the fuel tank, is anybody of you done this before, or just shorten the pipe and stretch it then plug it back again.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone as I know this recall was on the topics but I want to know if some of you change that brake line, the recall was done and anti-rust was applied but it failed as mine now was leaking, luckily I’m not driving it on the road, it was suddenly happens that it is in the garage and have to use it for some short errand but when I press on the brakes it goes down all the way

214c2fc9255c015cd4386c913f0961e4.jpg

9b97be10fe1da7c1cc5baf9a111455a3.jpg

c5fb8d06aab0fee65afa13656ba2f935.jpg

Now may I know if some of you did this task as I’m looking underneath the closest brake line is easy to replace but the Driver Side Rear went on top of the fuel tank, is anybody of you done this before, or just shorten the pipe and stretch it then plug it back again.

PM LegGTLT, he's been through this.

I had my wagon towed to my local dealer when it did the same thing about 18 months ago, they replaced all the brake line under the warranty.

Call them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Max good enough for your warranty, on mine 13y/o car warranty doesn’t exist anymore, does it ask again for a recall since the job was already done, I’m pretty sure the recall campaign did expired already. I don’t want to end up paying that service. I need to figure out the task. Edited by edgemoulic

My wagon was built may 2004. I think it was Nov 2016 that the dealer replaced everything, it was like a 9 hour job.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

My wagon was built may 2004. I think it was Nov 2016 that the dealer replaced everything, it was like a 9 hour job.

Subaru of America and Subaru Of Canada often take different stances on what they decide to cover on vehicles that are out of warranty. SoA is generally more generous (or more afraid of liability).

Max yours was covered by warranty or recall period. I know the recall started 2014 so yours still existed 2016 and didn’t have it fix before. Mine was already done and I won’t think they’ll do it again. Anyways I’ll call them soon I’ll see what they’ll say. Cross Fingers hoping that some might get this done without spending.

I took the car in for the recall notice when it came out. I remember posting in the thread here about it and thinking, yea, this isn't going to fix anything. The fix (waxy like coating) only covered the rust. With all the winter driving I do, it was just a matter of time before mine let go. Thankfully it was in the driveway while parked.

Alright I talk to Subaru Of Canada Unfortunately the issue will be at my own cost because I was told that the Recall was already done and no other recalls to be done on my car under their system.

So I went to the Dealer and ask an estimate on how much it will cost the repair, Tech told me around 6-9hrs. Labor which cost $700 plus parts on top of that. Wasted already 1hr. doing those.

Meanwhile which I should did this already before those start to do it by myself and sort out some parts. Mind me on posting ugly pictures which you should only see beautiful Legacy outside but this is the reality inside.

Anti-Seize was applied over the rust

a7bfb8d73dad0490d3a3e33bdb1605d1.jpg

Cleaned off the Anti-rust

70f8e59afdc1dea38916b0f5331f6c40.jpg

This causes the problem I don’t have a choice but to cut the pipes and take it off to soak on a WF to loosen the screws

0b78913e8bde09441c472388f64ab379.jpg

Lines that need to be connected

da99532cd1685076879f2f589d1b3264.jpg

With my Russian bear arms: I take line, lay on my arm, growl at it and it bent.

Not true....some people just like to show off...LOL

You can go into most auto parts stores and see how easy it is to bend the new brake lines. You buy in whatever the length is and bend by hand as needed. I replaced the front lines on my 1986 F-150 last Fall using them.

Rust proof wax on top on already started rust just seals the problem in. It has to be cleaned before treated.

If you won't get it done under warranty - purchase copper brake pipe and make a new fresh installation.

453747.png

My 94 legacy brake lines rusted out in the exact same location. It additionally also rusted out brake line going over the top of the gas tank. And rusted out the fuel lines on top of the tank as well.

Can't believe they wouldn't have figured out a better way 15 years later.

The fact that brake lines are made out of steel that can rust in the first place make absolutely no sense.

There is a thread about this from a few months back where someone else was declined also.

I don't understand why they cover some like mine and not others. Subaru replaced all the metal lines on my 2005 wagon. Car had about 220,000 mile on it at that time. I am the only owner and have a good relationship with the dealership. We were waiting for our 2016 Outback 3.6R to be delivered when the junction block failed.

Edited by Max Capacity

So... if it's rusting and they coat it with some aerosol can rust "inhibitor" after it's already rusting, they have satisfied the recall?

If that's all it takes to legally satisfy a known problem... man I'm going to become a prostitute. That's all I got to do to satisfy people? Spray them with rust inhibitor?

My dealership covered mine with a "warranty deductible" but that was last year. They needed to drop the gas tank to run the new lines. I wish they would make a package that would just give you stainless lines , both hard and braided flex lines from the factory... and just charge another 500 to 1500 for it. This way customers would not be losing their brakes at years 12 and up.

BDII has expert knowledge in this field. Try PMing him. If no reply right away, just send again. He gets a lot of PMs. It’s ok to send a few, he knows he can be slow to respond sometimes. He’s just trying to help everyone! :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/member.php?u=7334

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

BDII has expert knowledge in this field. Try PMing him. If no reply right away, just send again. He gets a lot of PMs. It’s ok to send a few, he knows he can be slow to respond sometimes. He’s just trying to help everyone! :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/member.php?u=7334

LegGTLT sorry I didn’t reply to your PM recently, anyways you’ve got the answer from your questions here. :lol: