LegacyGT.com

Possible Upgrade?

So I have been thinking lately of going from the Legacy 3.6r to the STI. Can anyone tell me what to expect with the STI in terms of daily driving? I mean I know they are completely different but I want something fun to drive. Is the STI the right direction for me?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is the STI the right direction for me?

If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be buying anything right now.

IMO, an STI would be totally unsuited to congested LA traffic.

CVT only is the worst of all worlds.

Says you!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Says you!

Damn right says me. If I must use an automatic, give me one with a torque converter or clutch packs. None of that rubber band witchcraft.

I could suck start a snow blower.

... give me one with a torque converter or clutch packs.

The Subaru CVTs have both. Of course, they're used in a totally different way.

That said, I do understand your lust for something different.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I can tell you what a buddy of mine mentioned (as I "lust" after a bit more speed and handling too). He has an STi (keep in mind I'm in Colorado) and said the "it's fantastic in the mountains and on similar type roads, but not so much as a commuter car". That is his impression. I have personally gone the two car route. A DD and a 6spd. rocket and that is the only solution I found that works. I have since sold the Z06 but a one car does all does not seem possible here unless you got the budget and maybe have a desire for German.

I thought about getting STi before I took home my legacy,but what threw me off was the mpg of the wrx/STi and also too small for my needs,i needed more room for family trip,even my wife wanted the STi but I said NO!lol

I thought about getting STi before I took home my legacy,but what threw me off was the mpg of the wrx/STi and also too small for my needs,i needed more room for family trip,even my wife wanted the STi but I said NO!lol

You should incorporate some meat into your diet. Might straighten out your thinking over time.

I found in city driving I wasn't enjoying it because you don't use that much power in normal commuting situations in a city. The hard suspension doesn't help either when there are potholes. In short, the enjoyment of the car did not surpass the sacrifices I made to have that kind of car for city driving.

If my commute was more highway driving then that would be a different story.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that car in the 7 years I had it! Working on it was tons of fun though.

I only commute about 5 miles a day and just want something fun. What other reasons did you trade it in?

I'll be shopping for a more fun commuter next round, contenders are: Mazda 3 (with bigger engine), Hyundai Elantra GT Sport, or GTI.

Legacy, not so much fun for me. WRX CVT was ok.

If you live where it snows, and you go with WRX or STI, you will need to budget for snow tires, those come with summer rubber and you do not want to try those out in the snow.

• 1 month later...
I found in city driving I wasn't enjoying it because you don't use that much power in normal commuting situations in a city. The hard suspension doesn't help either when there are potholes. In short, the enjoyment of the car did not surpass the sacrifices I made to have that kind of car for city driving.

If my commute was more highway driving then that would be a different story.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that car in the 7 years I had it! Working on it was tons of fun though.

I actually find the 3.6 a great city car compared to my BMW. More space, regular tires and regular gas. (The sacrifice was not having a euro sport sedan after 20 years).

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

So I have been thinking lately of going from the Legacy 3.6r to the STI. Can anyone tell me what to expect with the STI in terms of daily driving? I mean I know they are completely different but I want something fun to drive. Is the STI the right direction for me?

I own a 2011 wrx limited with low miles on it. I use it on the weekends when I'm not driving my 18 3.6r. I also had recently driven the latest sti. If you want something fun, that takes effort especially in traffic, gets a lot of attention, that is faster in all respect, then sti is for you.

keep in mind you have to pay much higher prices for the car, the insurance, and the premium gas.

you will also lose a lot in comfort and space. you will have people that will always want to race. the technology in the car doesn't match the technology in the latest legacy 3.6r (android auto, seating adjustments etc) plus the sti is a rough loud car.

for the people that recommended the xt, the legacy 3.6r can run with it. I test drove it and it has a better kick but highway speeds they are about the same. the interior and premium feel plus the cheaper gas is what sold me on the 3.6r.

For those that put down the CVT in subaru, subaru makes one of the best especially in the new models. We still have a tribeca ltd and even new the 3.6R tranny is just as good if not better.

It's all what matters to you. For me personally, the fun in the wrx is good enough for a weekend. After that, I can only take so much.

If subaru re-released the legacy gt again, i would trade in my new legacy today. It meets the best of both worlds.

Archived