LegacyGT.com

2015 3.6r CVT Replacement

Discovered that my CVT was leaking at 65k miles. The dealer determined that repair is not possible and is replacing the entire unit under warranty.

Curious if there is any long term risk to swapping out the CVT? I understand that the engine has to be pulled as part of the procedure. Wondering if there is anything inherently detrimental or anything that would affect longevity.

Any idea where it was leaking from? There is a TechTIPS bulletin about people overtorquing the plugs leading to a leak... I believe they'll use a remanufactured unit most of the time which means new internals but most likely a refurbished housing.

I had to have my engine pulled 2 years ago as part of the oil consumption issue.

I have worked on engines for over 20 years, AND I'm a neat freak about my car, and don't like anyone touching it, not even for oil changes and car washes. I do them myself.

I even keep my engine and engine bay clean.

So you can imagine the angst I had with letting a dealer pull my engine and replace the short block, and then rebuild the new short block with all components from my original engine!!!! YIKES

I basically "interviewed" the dealer that I was looking to use for the work. I sat with the Service Manager, and even the owner, and expressed my concerns and expectations.

The Service Manager was a moron but the owner stepped up and promised me that he would oversee this work personally and have their best tech do the job.

I even took a ton of photos of the engine and engine bay, front of the car, as evidence, just in case.

The result:

Honestly, the average person would never notice that the engine was pulled and replaced. Sure, I could tell in many ways, like the blue gasket sealant was squeezed out between 2 mating surfaces in many spots. Not messy, but also not factory done by a robot.

But honestly, things like a healthy amount of gasket sealant used by a top tech are probably GOOD things, meaning that the new short block work may actually be an upgrade as the engine SHOULD go longer before any coolant/oil leaks.

For your situation, it's even simpler. Disconnect old trans. Pull engine. Drop in new trans. Bolt back up to the engine.

If you are worried and crazy like me, you can take "before" photos from the top down, and also from under the car.

You can also interview the dealer and speak with the service manager to express your concerns.

more than likely its an over repair and the dealer will probably be charged back. more than likely its related to tsb 16-103-16r and needs resealed.

This bulletin has been developed in response to a small number of customer concerns regarding fluid seepage found coming from the CVT assembly. Investigation has identified a likely source of the seepage to be the sealant used on the CVT’s oil pump chain cover. The repair involves removal, a thorough cleaning and inspection of the sealing surfaces followed by re-sealing the cover.

Thanks All... the initial diagnosis was a faulty seal. However they called the next day and said that the unit was not repairable and that they instead would replace the entire CVT. I'll get the details when I pick it up.

more than likely its an over repair and the dealer will probably be charged back. more than likely its related to tsb 16-103-16r and needs resealed.

This bulletin has been developed in response to a small number of customer concerns regarding fluid seepage found coming from the CVT assembly. Investigation has identified a likely source of the seepage to be the sealant used on the CVT’s oil pump chain cover. The repair involves removal, a thorough cleaning and inspection of the sealing surfaces followed by re-sealing the cover.

did you not, trade your subaru? (fingerprints on the glass and all).

if the OP wants to read what the process is on a 3.6 2015 trans swap here are a couple posts on discussions with SOA:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/429481-cvt-warranty-extension-2010-15-a.html#post5352105

The techs that are gonna be put on the job will definitely know what to do.

What a funny irrational belief in stearlership's tech abilities. Chances are high they have little clue and will **** up at least some of the work. Techs hate warranty work because it pays less.

However, this being whole unit replacement bodes better. E.g. cracking into engine not so much. Speaking from experience (dealer ****ed up so many things during SB replacement...).

Thanks All... the initial diagnosis was a faulty seal. However they called the next day and said that the unit was not repairable and that they instead would replace the entire CVT. I'll get the details when I pick it up.

Which dealer is doing the work? It sucks a transmission with 65k is not repairable just for a leak.

Walker's Renton Subaru is doing the replacement. My car has been there for a week, work hasn't started asfaik. They gave me a 2018 Forester for a loaner (updated Eyesight is a noticeable improvement).

I am concerned on two fronts; quality of the workmanship on the install and quality of the replacement CVT.

When I was shopping for 60k service, the Walker rep on the phone was pretty ignorant. She claimed they didn't offer CVT service (fluid flush). So I went with AWD Auto in Kirkland - they confirmed my suspicion about the CVT leak. But I don't know if Walker's front desk is any indicator of the techs' performance. We'll see.

I am also concerned about the replacement CVT. I assume I get the same year/model. Does that mean is it is vulnerable to the same defect? Is it rebuilt?

Where was the leak from, exactly? Do you know? Is it from a plug?

From what I've read the internals are all new, but have a re manufactured housing - which isn't a big deal. Considering the number of CVT's out there, this seems to be an uncommon thing - though 2015 was the first year of the HT-CVT on the Outback 3.6...

Subaru is well known for the quality and robustness of their CVTs and is rated as one of the best on the market. Things happen and I wouldn't sweat it. Cars and the parts that make up the car are all made by humans and we all make errors. Enjoy the new tranny and don't look back or over think it.

Which dealer is doing the work? It sucks a transmission with 65k is not repairable just for a leak.

The transmission itself is absolutely 'repairable'. Subaru will not pay, nor will the dealer charge, or likely have on staff a tech with the expertise to sink 20+ hours in pulling, rebuilding, and replacing the transmission assembly.

Much easier to pull and replace with a refurbished unit.

The SA then tells the car illiterate owner that the unit is not 'rebuildable'.

Walker's Renton Subaru is doing the replacement. My car has been there for a week, work hasn't started asfaik. They gave me a 2018 Forester for a loaner (updated Eyesight is a noticeable improvement).

I am concerned on two fronts; quality of the workmanship on the install and quality of the replacement CVT.

When I was shopping for 60k service, the Walker rep on the phone was pretty ignorant. She claimed they didn't offer CVT service (fluid flush). So I went with AWD Auto in Kirkland - they confirmed my suspicion about the CVT leak. But I don't know if Walker's front desk is any indicator of the techs' performance. We'll see.

I am also concerned about the replacement CVT. I assume I get the same year/model. Does that mean is it is vulnerable to the same defect? Is it rebuilt?

Walker is ok. I bought my last 2 Subs there and serviced the 2015 exclusively at their shop which were just basic oil changes.

I highly recommend Smart Subaru for future servicing as well as having them inspect the work Walker did.

GL and keep us posted

The transmission itself is absolutely 'repairable'. Subaru will not pay, nor will the dealer charge, or likely have on staff a tech with the expertise to sink 20+ hours in pulling, rebuilding, and replacing the transmission assembly.

Much easier to pull and replace with a refurbished unit.

The SA then tells the car illiterate owner that the unit is not 'rebuildable'.

That I completely agree with!

As far as dealer's "front desk/service advisors" being ignorant, I would have to agree.

Unfortunately, service advisors tend to simply be customer relations/sales between the customer and the service dept.

Service advisors typically aren't very technical. Most aren't at all...

Most service advisors are glorified sales people, but instead of selling CARS, they are selling SERVICE.

I've requested to talk with the tech that was assigned to my car in a few instances. Not often, but on occasion the disagreement comes up.

That being said, I believe that most people aren't as passionate about their ride as we are - we're trolling car forums, ya know? I think most people view their car as an appliance, like a toaster or a refrigerator. I view it as an extension of me.

OP, however told you the engine has to be 'pulled' to remove the CVT is full of it. The engine has to be supported, but not removed from the chassis.

Replacing a transmission on a Legacy and most cars with longitudinal drivetrains is a pretty straightforward job. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Even a junior tech can't really mess up pulling and replacing a CVT.

they pulled my CVT out and replaced it within a day. dropped it off on a Monday, got it back Tuesday. My CVT had 39K on it and the reason it was replaced was due to a Subaru Gorilla Tech splitting the differential case when they over tightened the drain plug...car is a 14 legacy but overall the procedure is the same for the '15+ cars

Interesting, the front desk at Walker's told me that they have to pull the engine to replace the CVT. The car has been at their shop for about 1.5 weeks now, they last told me it would be done last Saturday; still haven't heard from them. Gotta say my confidence isn't very high.

Perhaps again it's time to get corporate involved.

"Tell you what, keep my 2015, and give me the guaranteed trade in price of a 2017, and I'll put it towards a new 2018..."

Now you're talking :)

Did you notice it leaking initially or did the dealer bring it to your attention?

I want to know what signs to look for in the event this were to happen to me.

I noticed the leak when doing an oil change. Dark fluid appeared windblown on the front differential, so initially I thought it was the diff that was leaking. An indy Subie mechanic determined that it was the CVT because he was able to tell that it wasn't gear oil but rather CVT fluid. From there, I took it to the dealer because the CVT is under warranty for 100k miles.

Archived