LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy 3.6R engine shutdown

I was hoping that maybe someone has had the same experience with their 2017 Legacy and that they learned what the cause is. Within 3 months of owning my new Legacy I couldn't start the engine. I had to have it towed to the local dealer and they could not get the engine to fire up either. They had the following codes: B14A1, B2806, U0162, B2A0E, B2C22 and not P1603, P1604 and P0335 as they expected. After resetting the codes and systems they could not duplicate the issue and returned my car to me after a week. I have looked everywhere but the only code I could find an answer for was P0335.

This past week I had the same issue and after finally getting it to start I took it to the dealer. This time they said there were no codes that came up and the battery was fine, however, they tightened the battery terminals in case they were coming loose and causing my problems. 2 days later I started my car and after 10 seconds the engine shut down. I managed to restart my car and after driving for about 300 yards I came to a complete stop. When I hit the gas pedal and started moving my engine shut down again and the steering locked up. After coming to a complete stop I was able to restart the car and get home without any further problems. My car is now back at the dealer and they are supposedly calling in an expert from the "Subaru Tech Line" to take a look.

Has anyone had the same issues with their Legacy or do they know what might be going on? It's brand new and I've had it for just a day under 6 months. I'm not confident they will be able to duplicate the issue and I will receive back a car I do not trust to function properly. From what they told me last time Subaru had not received any other similar complaints and even they could not diagnose the problem. I would appreciate any input.

Thank you.

Wow, well welcome to the forum, it sucks it’s under this circumstance. I recommended getting Subaru of America on the phone tomorrow and bringing them up to speed. Their number is (800)- 782-2783.

I have spoken with them a couple of times over the years of owning Subaru’s, and they are very helpful.

This being the third occurrence, I feel you’re approaching a buy back. This is a huge safety concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, not that I condone taking videos while driving, you should record your issues as they happen. This way, it does not matter if the dealer can replicate the problem or not. If you can show them, they can’t deny anything. My local service advisor recommended this to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, not that I condone taking videos while driving, you should record your issues as they happen. This way, it does not matter if the dealer can replicate the problem or not. If you can show them, they can’t deny anything. My local service advisor recommended this to me.

Bingo. Video doesn't lie.

I did some research on this.

To make a long story short, I understand if you want to let subaru handle everything, it's under warranty and all.

In your shoes, I would check all of the fuses boxes (2 in my 4th gen), and make sure all the fuses are fully seated properly. Yes, I understand it might sound unlikely that a fuse might have partially popped out, but from what I'm reading, it happens.

From trying to figure out what most of those codes mean, it's all electrical it seems. Maybe a mouse chewed up a wire too or something..

Has the windshield or anything ever been replaced? Any work on the car at all before this?

Here's a kit of codes found when searching the net.

B14A1 SUNLOAD SENSOR CIRCUIT OPEN http://www.suimpreza.com/products/DTC-B14A1-SUNLOAD-SENSOR-CIRCUIT-OPEN-3971

B2806 ECM ABNORMAL http://www.suimpreza.com/products/DTC-B2806-ECM-ABNORMAL-1013

B2806 VDC Malfunction

U0162 lost communication with audio visual navigation display module http://www.sulegacy.com/dtc_u0162_lost_communication_with_audio_visual_navigation_display_module-1167.html

B2A0E mute line circuit http://www.sucross.com/dtc_b2a0e_mute_line_circuit-3850.html

P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/obdcodes_Subaru.txt

P1603 Camshaft timing over retarded

P1604 Startability Malfunction, seems to be set when cranking too long.

Check that you have a grounding strap between engine, chassis and negative connector on the battery.

453747.png

I had this issue on my Benz and it was the Crankshaft Sensor. It would shut down while driving and if you let the vehicle cool down it will fire up and once the motor get's warmed up at a certain temperature it will shut it down. Something to look into.

Archived