LegacyGT.com

Can we use these dip sticks?

I found these pressure releasing dip sticks from Subie Speed, they are listed for the WRX and a few others so I was wondering if they would work for and help us or if someone has another alternative.

http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-wrx/engine/oil-and-accessories/superstik-performance-dip-stick-2015-wrx

Im curious why you think a bunch of guys here will have the answer to this very specific question as opposed to picking up the phone and calling the retailer that sells them? But then again, I would also wonder why anyone would want to spend $100 putting a goofy dipstick into the engine bay of a mundane commuter car.

It is simple. The pride of ownership, making your Legacy your own and it makes someone happy. Looking back, I have owned Audi's from 100 to A6s and that was just used for status symbol for my company. It was just a stupid overpriced DD and that I able to take it off my taxes.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Im curious why you think a bunch of guys here will have the answer to this very specific question as opposed to picking up the phone and calling the retailer that sells them? But then again, I would also wonder why anyone would want to spend $100 putting a goofy dipstick into the engine bay of a mundane commuter car.

I think you may have completely missed the point of car forums...

I found these pressure releasing dip sticks from Subie Speed, they are listed for the WRX and a few others so I was wondering if they would work for and help us or if someone has another alternative.

http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-wrx/engine/oil-and-accessories/superstik-performance-dip-stick-2015-wrx

Contact the company direct because each dip stock has a different length.. I just got one for my 3.6R.. Silver with a Black Button.. [emoji44]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm all for upgrades and improvements, but $100 for a dipstick with a pressure-release valve, to attain a slightly better accuracy due to the "possibility" of a slight vacuum created when pulling the dipstick out? hmmm... I think I'll pass.

I've worked on engines for over 20 years. Including 3800HP Diesels down to lawnmowers, and everything in between. Ford vans in the 90's had a transmission dipstick that seemed like it was 4' long, and the oil level was on the bottom 3-4" of it! Talk about a tricky measurement! I could pull and wipe that dipstick 5 times and get 5 different readings. But it wasn't a pressure issue with the stick.

Our Subaru's have a rather short dipstick. At least the 2.5 does. The angle and turn that the metal tip of the dipstick makes when it leaves the tube and enters the oil in the pan, is probably the cause of the variations of the oil level.

That's just my opinion.

But like the expression goes "measure twice, cut once", I follow this when checking the oil in ANYTHING, from an 8HP lawn mower to a 3800 HP diesel, to my Subaru. I check the dipstick generally 2-3 times before making any determination.

If I had this fancy Superstik, I would STILL follow the same procedure of checking 2-3 times. I guess I would look cooler when doing it.... in my garage...with nobody to see me... or anyone to see my super cool and fancy dipstick. I guess that's why Subispeed has a fancy colored head on the stick - so when you are showing off under the hood, people can oooh and aaah over your high performance dipstick head.

Hopefully you color match/coordinate it to your high performance STI battery hold down bracket, too.

I was simply asking a question about a part that sounded interesting to me No I wouldn't buy a $100 dipstick but someone would. I asked on here out of the little bit of respect that I had left for what seemed like some knowledgeable people but instead I get the trolls who want to sound like car gods. (no offense as this is the first time I've noticed your replies). I don't have the same knowledge of cars like some others and how many questions can you ask the service dept before getting treated like crap every time you show up. So I guess my impression of a forum was an opportunity to ask any question you had in regards to a topic vehicle or situation and get reasonable answers or guidance from someone who either knows the situation or just willing to assist for their own future knowledge but apparently this is not the place.

I'm all for upgrades and improvements, but $100 for a dipstick with a pressure-release valve, to attain a slightly better accuracy due to the "possibility" of a slight vacuum created when pulling the dipstick out? hmmm... I think I'll pass.

I've worked on engines for over 20 years. Including 3800HP Diesels down to lawnmowers, and everything in between. Ford vans in the 90's had a transmission dipstick that seemed like it was 4' long, and the oil level was on the bottom 3-4" of it! Talk about a tricky measurement! I could pull and wipe that dipstick 5 times and get 5 different readings. But it wasn't a pressure issue with the stick.

Our Subaru's have a rather short dipstick. At least the 2.5 does. The angle and turn that the metal tip of the dipstick makes when it leaves the tube and enters the oil in the pan, is probably the cause of the variations of the oil level.

That's just my opinion.

But like the expression goes "measure twice, cut once", I follow this when checking the oil in ANYTHING, from an 8HP lawn mower to a 3800 HP diesel, to my Subaru. I check the dipstick generally 2-3 times before making any determination.

If I had this fancy Superstik, I would STILL follow the same procedure of checking 2-3 times. I guess I would look cooler when doing it.... in my garage...with nobody to see me... or anyone to see my super cool and fancy dipstick. I guess that's why Subispeed has a fancy colored head on the stick - so when you are showing off under the hood, people can oooh and aaah over your high performance dipstick head.

Hopefully you color match/coordinate it to your high performance STI battery hold down bracket, too.

I was respecting your reply up to the end, yes i do check the stick 2-3 times and I get what your saying about the pressure and thats why someone like me who is unsure ask questions on here. I guess the forums are only ment for the gurus.

Contact the company direct because each dip stock has a different length.. I just got one for my 3.6R.. Silver with a Black Button.. [emoji44]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you for replying like an adult. I have no intention of buying it due to pricing.

I was simply asking a question about a part that sounded interesting to me No I wouldn't buy a $100 dipstick but someone would. I asked on here out of the little bit of respect that I had left for what seemed like some knowledgeable people but instead I get the trolls who want to sound like car gods. (no offense as this is the first time I've noticed your replies). I don't have the same knowledge of cars like some others and how many questions can you ask the service dept before getting treated like crap every time you show up. So I guess my impression of a forum was an opportunity to ask any question you had in regards to a topic vehicle or situation and get reasonable answers or guidance from someone who either knows the situation or just willing to assist for their own future knowledge but apparently this is not the place.

Here's what I will say without being overly harsh or vulgar...

Typically, a smart person, when entering an arena, group, or community in which he has little knowledge, stays quiet, observes, and learns - not scolds people who roll their eyes at his silly post. Its a wonder, how much knowledge a person can pick up in a little amount of time.

Second, there is nothing wrong with new users or folks new to cars or having little knowledge asking questions. Just this week, I asked a more knowledgeable member regarding a procedure that is dead simple on most other cars, but I wasnt sure about on this generation of Legacy.

At the end of the day, a community or message board is a reflection of its members and their values. 'We' want this board to be full of good, technical information - backed up by the FSM or real world experience. If you had come in and asked about torque specs for head bolts or a question about timing belt replacement or anything useful really, you would''ve gotten a polite and informative response from many members.

When you 'pollute' the message board with silly gimmicks, you get sarcastic, ridiculing replies.

Here's what I will say without being overly harsh or vulgar...

Typically, a smart person, when entering an arena, group, or community in which he has little knowledge, stays quiet, observes, and learns - not scolds people who roll their eyes at his silly post. Its a wonder, how much knowledge a person can pick up in a little amount of time.

Second, there is nothing wrong with new users or folks new to cars or having little knowledge asking questions. Just this week, I asked a more knowledgeable member regarding a procedure that is dead simple on most other cars, but I wasnt sure about on this generation of Legacy.

At the end of the day, a community or message board is a reflection of its members and their values. 'We' want this board to be full of good, technical information - backed up by the FSM or real world experience. If you had come in and asked about torque specs for head bolts or a question about timing belt replacement or anything useful really, you would''ve gotten a polite and informative response from many members.

When you 'pollute' the message board with silly gimmicks, you get sarcastic, ridiculing replies.

First off your personal opinion of how things should be here are irrelevant, as you said this is a place to ask the questions you don't have answers too so sitting back and waiting for someone to hopefully ask a similar question to one I want an answer to is the stupidest thing to do. ( don't speak don't be heard).

Secondly no matter who is on here asking questions about anything deserves a respectful answer not just someone asking more technical questions about apparent problems they are having at that moment.

Finally you can keep yourself away from any post you want yet you choose to be a ***** and engage all you feel you can belittle from a bit if info you have that they don't. Free world be the ***** you want to be but remember these are reflections of who you are in person and i'm willing to bet your circle is tiny or your the one really trying to fit in. nonetheless this will be the last time I entertain you. feel free to say what you wish.

I would like to say with sincerity that I never meant to upset anyone or put them down.

I actually give that Superstik company a lot of credit for creating an improvement to a design. Without the motivation to continuously improve (with anything in life), we would all be living in the stone ages.

Continuous improvement is a good thing.

Engineering and creating new ideas and products is fantastic.

I think the Superstik is actually a neat idea.

There are unlimited upgrades and improvements that we can do with our cars. For some, we enjoy working on our cars just as much as the end result of the job being done.

For others, they may like the "look" of something custom or unique, which makes their car feel "theirs".

I apologize if I upset anyone and/or started a rant of bashing new people/silly questions. That was not my intent.

I have learned a lot from this forum over the last 6 years. I've also shared my knowledge and experience to help others. There are many great people on this forum. Sometimes sarcasm gets interjected into responses. Mine was meant for a little fun, but not to put anyone down.

Hopefully we can all move forward.

I actually give that Superstik company a lot of credit for creating an improvement to a design.

Functionally, it's an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Its value is almost entirely cosmetic. There's nothing wrong with that as long as we're honest with ourselves about it.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Functionally, it's an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Its value is almost entirely cosmetic. There's nothing wrong with that as long as we're honest with ourselves about it.

I agree. I've been pulling dipsticks on engines for over 20 years and haven't really experienced a suction/pull of oil up on a dipstick (that I'm aware of) that would cause inaccurate reading of oil level.

The dipstick bending/turning/rubbing along the tube as it is pulled out (along with yanking out too fast) tend to cause more inaccuracies.

But again, if someone wants to build a better mousetrap, and there are people always looking to buy a "better" mousetrap, AND these people get satisfaction from their purchase, that's all that matters I suppose.

The Subie oilstick do suffer from the long pipe it has to be pulled through where it sometimes gets oil from the tube so you have to look at both sides of the stick to be sure.

An oil stick don't have to be that long, but if it's further down in the engine bay then people get their hands and arms dirty and won't check the oil.

453747.png

Archived