LegacyGT.com

Considering getting a spare motor- need advice

I saw an ad for a Phase 1 EJ22 for sale. Basically a longblock (no alternator, P/S pump). Seller says was running well when pulled from an Impreza, has approx 170K on it but has sat 2- 3 years (presumably inside since that's where it is in the pics). He is asking $300

Questions:

Seller says it's a '96 or '97- what are ways I can tell which year it is from looking at it?

What should I be looking for when I go to look at it? I do plan to ask if he can turn it over by hand, since it is out of the car.

This engine could be a spare for our '97/ '98 Legacy's, or possibly to find an Outback with an ailing EJ25D and hopefully be able to swap it. If I'm correct, the EJ25D had dual port exhaust and the EJ22 was single port from 1996 on. If this is correct, do I need to find a single port header somewhere if I wanted to put this into any Outback? There is a nice looking'98 Outback Limited (looks like a 30th anniversary)with what sounds like it would be rod knock, not too far away, that this engine might be a good match for.

Also wondering how I should store this thing when i get it home. I need to make room in the garage in front of the cars and set it on the floor- is there a certain way to support it so nothing gets damaged, like the oil pan? I figure I might get an engine stand at some point.

Also wondering how I should store this thing when i get it home. I need to make room in the garage in front of the cars and set it on the floor- is there a certain way to support it so nothing gets damaged, like the oil pan? I figure I might get an engine stand at some point.

Just set it on an old spare tire until you get an engine stand. You could even get one of those cheap Harbor Freight Furniture dollys and strap it to that so you an wheel it around.

by the way if you disassemble in one area and reassemble in another the attached photo of the block would be too heavy to move yourself, so i would definately consider an engine stand or furniture mover, only had access to a cherry picker the day i pulled the motor so just on the tire was a pain to deal with. definitely was not thinking of the weight and finally got the "o shit, how will i i move this" thought after it was on a chest high work bench.

P_20160518_112806.thumb.jpg.6ae58fc215dac85a5979b06bae7870d3.jpg

Just set it on an old spare tire until you get an engine stand. You could even get one of those cheap Harbor Freight Furniture dollys and strap it to that so you an wheel it around.

I wheeled my EZ30 around on a furniture dolly until I got around to tearing it down to do maintenance on it.

Pretty sure the harbor freight engine stands aren't too expensive either. I think i picked mine up for about 30 a piece. Grabbed 2 of them while I was there

I have 3 HFT engine stands in my garage at the moment, all have engines on them.

Remove the oil filler cap and it'll have the engine build date stamped on the underside. That'll tell you if it's phase I vs Phase II and that'll also tell you if you had a risk of the timing jumping and bending valves in it's past.

Or people can just read my thread I made a while back on how to tell the engine's phase at a glance.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subaru-phase-phase-ii-identification-hidden-vin-258833.html

The 710 cap is not an accurate representation on when the engine was built, just when that piece of plastic was stamped, which is usually a few day to a few weeks or months (depending on stock) before the engine is assembled. The only accurate "build" date is the stamped code on the back of the block which is actually the build sequence for that motor.

Archived