LegacyGT.com

New Member. 2017 2.5i 6 Speed

Good day LGT. My name is Cole and I am from Ontario, Canada. I just picked up a 2017 Legacy 2.5 6 Speed today. I am slightly downgrading from a 2015 Sti as I am planning on buying a house and getting a more dedicated track toy in the spring so the Legacy will serve as a perfect daily driver. The dealer said I probably got one of the last new manual transmission Legacy's in the country so I was pretty excited about that.

I don't have to many plans for the Legacy other than some 18 Wrx wheels come spring, Tint and a Nameless 5" muffled axleback (need to keep some rumble in my life). I also installed some H.I.D headlights tonight, Led reverse and plate lights left over from my STI.

As well I have a 08 Outback XT I am reluctantly selling to fund my new Toy.

Cheers everyone.

I want to add LGT had a big hand in my decision to get the Legacy so thanks for that.

20171204_192538_HDR_zps0fy1zetl.thumb.jpg.8a8332d3e48b7ae229483fe851d694f1.jpg

20171204_192457_HDR_zpswzbcjeu6.thumb.jpg.c5790f92b15923c7a5323c9c44d3eede.jpg

20171204_192208_HDR_zps4dxuykb2.thumb.jpg.969b604aded267f49d89443b175c7c38.jpg

20171204_192223_HDR_zpsvbstbf5u.thumb.jpg.58028d02179b893de8f7abd66109f582.jpg

20171130_131347_HDR_zpsgxciedqy.thumb.jpg.7915b4bf05163ad903c5207c2c0cf8dd.jpg

20171104_132634_HDR_zpsrpyxutcn.thumb.jpg.73865a594b5a0301ca84d034126acae0.jpg

I am so gald for and envious of you! :) If i could easily get one across the border (it's not THAT bad actually) I'd sell my LGT and call it a day. Love the styling and updates, although 17 is the last year for yall so never let go of that as Subaru is hell bent on blandness post FY 18

I am so gald for and envious of you! :) If i could easily get one across the border (it's not THAT bad actually) I'd sell my LGT and call it a day. Love the styling and updates, although 17 is the last year for yall so never let go of that as Subaru is hell bent on blandness post FY 18

I never understood why Subaru didnt offer the Manual in the states. Its super disappointing were loosing it for the 18 Legacy and Outback. I would have loved the updated interior of the 18 but not having a manual was a deal breaker. Hold on to your 08, im going to miss my 08 OBXT like crazy when it goes.

Can’t argue with sales numbers. People aren’t buying them here. Though there was a slight uptick in recent history in general.

Driving instructors don’t even teach stick anymore.

There is a small but intense part of the market that demands manuals. Any manufacturer that takes this segment for granted will ultimately erode their brand.

For example, chances are the buyer who buys a CVT powered Legacy would just as easily buy a Camry, Accord, or Fusion next time around - to him a car is like a microwave, an appliance.

A guy that buys an STI or WRX wants a manual becomes he loves to drive and loves cars. But perhaps due to any number of reasons, an STI might not be practical for him so he looks to a Legacy or base Impreza. When you eradicate the manual and the driving excitement out of your service level cars, you chase away an intense and loyal portion of the market. The guy that wanted a manual legacy may go buy a Ford Focus ST or Honda Civic Si.

So yes, the bean counters will dismiss 10% of the market, but that 10% are more intense brand ambassadors and afficianadoes (the guys that will wear the Subaru sweater) than Sally CVT who doesnt car about whats under the hood or chasis.

For example, chances are the buyer who buys a CVT powered Legacy would just as easily buy a Camry, Accord, or Fusion next time around - to him a car is like a microwave, an appliance. A guy that buys an STI or WRX wants a manual becomes he loves to drive and loves cars. So yes, the bean counters will dismiss 10% of the market, but that 10% are more intense brand ambassadors and afficianadoes (the guys that will wear the Subaru sweater) than Sally CVT who doesnt car about whats under the hood or chasis.

That's an interesting view of things ?? As a CVT driver, I still kinda thought that I also "love to drive and love cars" and I still often research "what's under the hood or chasis"..... but perhaps I only mistakenly got that impression from my missus when she constantly asks me "Are you still looking at bloody cars on the internet again."

I'd be very interested if the other microwave owner/drivers on the forum share your theory. :confused:

You know, that's an interesting point. I'm sure there's some analytic or statistic of people that have changed to Subaru from another make, or vice versa, or continue to purchase another Subaru.

Sometimes, life circumstances change. I wasn't happy about trading in my wife's Legacy for a Honda Pilot, but the Tribeca wasn't functional for our needs (we test drove a '14 - the last year of production). You can't buy what doesn't exist.

So, reluctantly that trade would be more misleading in terms of statistics. Hopefully Subaru can recapture some of that third row market.

That being said also, you can't buy what doesn't exist. If I had the option to grab an EE series Diesel Subaru that you see worldwide, I'd probably go for it. I also go back and forth between buying a 6MT or automatic. While I "preferred" the long term reliability of the 4/5EAT, I really don't see anything that is suggestive that the CVT used now won't be as reliable or more reliable down the road. Yes, they extended their CVT warranty as a precaution, and yes, they made some mistakes with the bushing design of the torque converter, but these are really tiny drops in a bucket of things.

I'm glad I'm not the only one driving my wife crazy about looking at cars on the `net.

You know, that's an interesting point. I'm sure there's some analytic or statistic of people that have changed to Subaru from another make, or vice versa, or continue to purchase another Subaru.

Sometimes, life circumstances change. I wasn't happy about trading in my wife's Legacy for a Honda Pilot, but the Tribeca wasn't functional for our needs (we test drove a '14 - the last year of production). You can't buy what doesn't exist.

So, reluctantly that trade would be more misleading in terms of statistics. Hopefully Subaru can recapture some of that third row market.

That being said also, you can't buy what doesn't exist. If I had the option to grab an EE series Diesel Subaru that you see worldwide, I'd probably go for it. I also go back and forth between buying a 6MT or automatic. While I "preferred" the long term reliability of the 4/5EAT, I really don't see anything that is suggestive that the CVT used now won't be as reliable or more reliable down the road. Yes, they extended their CVT warranty as a precaution, and yes, they made some mistakes with the bushing design of the torque converter, but these are really tiny drops in a bucket of things.

I'm glad I'm not the only one driving my wife crazy about looking at cars on the `net.

You made a perfect example of life circumstances changing. For me i just turned 30, i don't own a house yet (its in the plans) so having a heavy payment and fuel bills of my STI just wasn't logical at this point even though i loved that car. My last 5 vehicles have been Subaru's and i just love the brand. Buying the Legacy was a compromise for me. I still get a new car with a warranty, something that's still fun to drive, great in snow (matters a lot here) and saves me a ton of money not to mention it still has all the character I've grown so fond of in Subaru vehicles.

Now as far as the transmission debate goes, ive driven the CVT Leggy and its great car, but for me i would not have bought one for myself if i couldn't have found the manual. I would have looked a base forester more than likely. To my point about the car not being offered in the states, if the car is being built in the U.S for the Canadian market why couldn't they have offered it there? Its not like they had to do any development or extra R&D. From what Ive read it came down to the slightly lower fuel economy and lower % of manuals sold there vs here. Who knows, but i think you guys got hosed.

Loving the car so far btw, takes some getting used to losing 150 Hp but i am coping with it well haha.

Is the 3.6 offered anywhere in the world with a manual?

Not to my knowledge but it hasn't stopped anyone from swapping them in themselves. Although i cant recall seeing many 3.6's done (save for Super Gramps), mostly the 3.0 and old 3.3.

Not to my knowledge but it hasn't stopped anyone from swapping them in themselves. Although i cant recall seeing many 3.6's done (save for Super Gramps), mostly the 3.0 and old 3.3.

Well, the 3.6 isnt exactly a powerhouse - if they can build a transmission that will live behind the STI motor, then it will handle the 3.6. The only challenges would be to get it to bolt up and the bigger challenge would be to calibrate the ECU and trans control modules to not go haywire with a manual.

Oh, you're absolutely right with the fuel economy numbers. The US Government has something called CAFE - Corporate Average Fuel Economy - which penalizes manufacturers if they can't meet their target, which is very ambitious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_average_fuel_economy

So, every mile per gallon (or liters per 100km) are important. And, having all-time AWD, Subaru already is at a disadvantage. Other manufacturers have things like a Honda Fit or Civic Hybrid that gets like 40-50 mpg that helps counter the lower numbers.

Personally, I disagree with CAFE's mandate. I would even go so far as to pay a penalty to continue purchasing the Subaru brand, if it came to that. (I'm definitely in the minority here though).

Oh, you're absolutely right with the fuel economy numbers. The US Government has something called CAFE - Corporate Average Fuel Economy - which penalizes manufacturers if they can't meet their target, which is very ambitious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_average_fuel_economy

So, every mile per gallon (or liters per 100km) are important. And, having all-time AWD, Subaru already is at a disadvantage. Other manufacturers have things like a Honda Fit or Civic Hybrid that gets like 40-50 mpg that helps counter the lower numbers.

Personally, I disagree with CAFE's mandate. I would even go so far as to pay a penalty to continue purchasing the Subaru brand, if it came to that. (I'm definitely in the minority here though).

You know what the best thing about CAFE is? They are standards not laws.

Meaning, that the current Administration can snap their fingers and revise or rescind CAFE standards - which should happen anyway as they are so egregiously punitive that it is bound to become a political issue within the next one or two election cycles.

Oh I agree with you. I think it’s a great skill set to learn. My kids will learn eventually. But, I understand where they’re coming from. Hopefully the aficionados you mentioned will push to a WRX 6MT.

I made this point in another thread. No Legacy 6sp, but they offer a 2018 Premium Forester 6sp in the US.

Are you telling me there is a greater demand for a mini SUV with a stick over a sedan?

I made this point in another thread. No Legacy 6sp, but they offer a 2018 Premium Forester 6sp in the US.

Are you telling me there is a greater demand for a mini SUV with a stick over a sedan?

Well, I think the Forester is leftover from the previous refresh that continued to have a stick, so that's why it's still around. They discontinued the Leg/OB one back in 2015 with the last refresh.

The issue is that they need the CVT/Automatic for EyeSight, and Subaru has made it pretty clear that they want to build the safest cars ever, and they can't do it with a stick right now.

I think that people that would consider the Legacy 6MT would probably slide over to a WRX. It's pretty close in terms of price. While you might eliminate some potential sales this way, it does at least give people an option. Don't forget, the Impreza and XV also have a 6MT option.

I think that people that would consider the Legacy 6MT would probably slide over to a WRX. It's pretty close in terms of price. While you might eliminate some potential sales this way, it does at least give people an option. Don't forget, the Impreza and XV also have a 6MT option.

Not exactly the case for me... I came from a 2010 Legacy with a 6 speed. I test drove the WRX, but it was just too small for what I need. I partially regret buying the 17 Legacy with a CVT because driving is no longer enjoyable. I didn't switch brands because AWD is important to me being in New England. Next go around, there is a good chance I leave Subaru if there is no option for a large sedan with a stick.

As much as I love the Eyesight tech, driving has become mundane and I will choose a stick over adaptive cruise control without a doubt going forward.

Why don't you try popping it into manual mode? It might be a little more interactive, then, and you can keep the power where you want it.

I've tried that, but for me it does not replace the thrill of the third pedal.

I've tried that, but for me it does not replace the thrill of the third pedal.

Ah, yes ... the illusion of control. BTDT. Back in the mid '60s I actually replaced the truly-awful OE Borg-Warner 3-speed automatic in my 1962 Jaguar 3.8 MK II sedan with a GM "Muncie" 4-speed manual transmission. Cars were simpler then, and the transmission swap worked out pretty well, but I'd never do it again.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived