LegacyGT.com

New Subaru Ascent, 2.4 DIT...

2.4L Direct-Injection Turbocharged SUBARU BOXER® engine, any bet this replaces the 3.6 in next gen Legacy (if you are lucky...2.0 DIT more likely?)

come to think about it, maybe the STI gets this engine, reworked...like the Forester XT 2.0 DIT was reworked for WRX...

http://www.subaru.com/nyias2017?s_emailid=201704_insider_nyias-ascent

The missing piece, no 6 cylinder engine in the biggest vehicle Subaru is going to make. 3.6 is toast for next gen, smaller turbo DIT is their path forward.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
2.4L Direct-Injection Turbocharged SUBARU BOXER® engine, any bet this replaces the 3.6 in next gen Legacy (if you are lucky...2.0 DIT more likely?)

come to think about it, maybe the STI gets this engine, reworked...like the Forester XT 2.0 DIT was reworked for WRX...

http://www.subaru.com/nyias2017?s_emailid=201704_insider_nyias-ascent

The missing piece, no 6 cylinder engine in the biggest vehicle Subaru is going to make. 3.6 is toast for next gen, smaller turbo DIT is their path forward.

Interesting as while at the dealer for service I was talking to my sales guy and scoping the 2018 Legacy. Also asked what was next in the fun category. He mentioned the next motor for the Sti was going to be 2.4 as the current power plant seems to be an fairly unpopular choice. Sounds like there will be some interesting changes (Legacy, STi, Ascent) in the not too distant future.

Interesting as while at the dealer for service I was talking to my sales guy and scoping the 2018 Legacy. Also asked what was next in the fun category. He mentioned the next motor for the Sti was going to be 2.4 as the current power plant seems to be an fairly unpopular choice. Sounds like there will be some interesting changes (Legacy, STi, Ascent) in the not too distant future.

There's no way that Subaru has given that sort of information to dealerships yet. The next major redesign of the STI is due around 2021. No automaker, Subaru included, would be giving out any public info about a vehicle that far out, and they especially wouldn't be letting slip that the powertrain would be changing. If they wanted the public to know, they would have announced it. Subaru may let dealers know a few months ahead of time when orders will open of the next model year, but that's about all the dealers are going to get.

Agreed- it was just a conversation. Interesting to note though in regards to the Ascent it seems possible the 3.6 will go the way of the dinosaur and Subaru may just have a line up of 100% 4 bangers. Guess that would be cost effective. However personally, I liked the Limited because it was not a 4 cyl. However there are some pretty advanced 4-cyl platforms out there these days.. Time will tell..

That thing looks like a pig. I'm struggling to see how this is going to be a good business decision for Subaru. Its like they think its 2010 or something. Its notoriously hard to get the US car buying public to buy into a diesel powerplant for a non-truck application, much less a diesel 4 banger on what looks to be a no-doubt porky vehicle.

Subaru needs to pull their head out of their ass and make some type of Light Utility Vehicle that is a hybrid of light pickup truck and an Outback - basically an Outback with the rear roof removed. Give it the choice of a turbo 4, an NA 6, and manual or CVT and I feel it would do well in the market as there is nothing like it currently.

They made pretty much exactly what you are describing already with the Baja. Even if the market is there I doubt they go back to something like that anytime soon since it failed the first time around. My guess is it was just too utilitarian even for a Subaru compared to what the market was looking for at that point.

They made pretty much exactly what you are describing already with the Baja. Even if the market is there I doubt they go back to something like that anytime soon since it failed the first time around. My guess is it was just too utilitarian even for a Subaru compared to what the market was looking for at that point.

Well you mention they wouldn't bring something back that failed its first go around, but here they are essentially bringing back the Tribeca with the Ascent. I hope it works out, but it didn't so fair so well for the Tribeca...

All I ask for is a full size sedan, the Legacy, with a manual transmission. I loved driving my 2010 daily....

I know - basically I was saying bring back the Baja. Instead they are trying to ride the wave of a decade ago with a 4500 lb clone of a Highlander, 4 Runner, Pilot or whatever. Subaru simply will not compete with Toyota, Honda, and the domestic big boys in that market. In addition, a diesel 4 banger will be a hard sell for soccer mom Suzy.

Re-design and revitalize the Baja concept and re-introduce it to a market starved of light trucks like the old S10, Ranger, and Tacoma.

Gotta be 250+ right? It's a 7 passenger "van". I'll go 275...

not a bad guess, personally I'm hoping for more but think it will be slightly less at around 270. than it will be the same hp stretch when they go to throw it in an STI and make the same 305 that they always have.

I know - basically I was saying bring back the Baja. Instead they are trying to ride the wave of a decade ago with a 4500 lb clone of a Highlander, 4 Runner, Pilot or whatever. Subaru simply will not compete with Toyota, Honda, and the domestic big boys in that market. In addition, a diesel 4 banger will be a hard sell for soccer mom Suzy.

Re-design and revitalize the Baja concept and re-introduce it to a market starved of light trucks like the old S10, Ranger, and Tacoma.

That thing looks like a pig. I'm struggling to see how this is going to be a good business decision for Subaru. Its like they think its 2010 or something. Its notoriously hard to get the US car buying public to buy into a diesel powerplant for a non-truck application, much less a diesel 4 banger on what looks to be a no-doubt porky vehicle.

Subaru needs to pull their head out of their ass and make some type of Light Utility Vehicle that is a hybrid of light pickup truck and an Outback - basically an Outback with the rear roof removed. Give it the choice of a turbo 4, an NA 6, and manual or CVT and I feel it would do well in the market as there is nothing like it currently.

they aren't coming out with a diesel. DIT stands for Direct Injection Turbo like the current WRX

I am guessing you forgot about the BRAT, so technically the Baja is the second go around for Subaru for a car based pickup. You know an Ascent based pickup could give Subaru a decent Ridgeline competitor.

I would rather see this in the form of a mini-van. I can't guess at the statistics, but there would have to be a whole market of people who stick with Subaru for a period of time, but eventually move away due to their not having any large, practical people movers. The Ascent may be a hit, especially if it has something to bring to the table that the other makes don't (can't just be AWD), but I see Subaru people as more practical, wanting to move up to something with more cargo and people space, not necessarily something upscale that will cost an arm and a leg (not that a Subaru minivan wouldn't also)

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I would rather see this in the form of a mini-van. I can't guess at the statistics, but there would have to be a whole market of people who stick with Subaru for a period of time, but eventually move away due to their not having any large, practical people movers. The Ascent may be a hit, especially if it has something to bring to the table that the other makes don't (can't just be AWD), but I see Subaru people as more practical, wanting to move up to something with more cargo and people space, not necessarily something upscale that will cost an arm and a leg (not that a Subaru minivan wouldn't also)

Although there's more competition, there's a MUCH bigger market for crossovers than minivans. There were nearly 7 millions crossovers sold in the US in 2016 compared to about 550,000 minivans.

Source 1

Source 2

At the end of the day, Subaru is still a car company, and their goal is to make money and be profitable. Crossovers are significantly more profitable than sedans. Subaru's two top selling models are their biggest vehicles - the Outback and the Forester.

In my opinion, the Tribeca was a poorly executed attempt at a larger crossover. The styling was weird. It was an expensive vehicle with bad gas mileage that didn't really offer much over competitive vehicles. It's harder for Subaru to use the AWD as a selling point for a crossover they way they can for the smaller cars since most crossovers offer it. The switch to a DIT engine should help with gas mileage. The AWD can be a better selling point if the vehicle is priced appropriately to competitive vehicles to avoid the "AWD tax" you typically see. Subaru has also made huge strides in terms of interior quality since the Tribeca was introduced, so it wouldn't be impossible to compete with the mid-luxury crossovers being offered by brands like Buick.

I would rather see this in the form of a mini-van...
I think they are going to succeed with this new vehicle. It will attract people who like the idea of the Outback, but think it is too small.

I'd like to see Subaru go more in the sporting direction, but I can't blame them for going where most of the sales are nowadays.

I think the opinions/facts above are valid especially on van vs SUV. My Daughter for example has three kids and does foster care a few times a year. She will never drive a van again even though Toyota and other manufactures make some pretty good ones. She has a used Escalade (which I would love her to get rid of) and I would also love to see her in the Ascent when available but we will see. The 7 passenger vehicles can hit 50-80K real quick which is an issue. Seems like every manufacturer needs to have at least one entry into this very popular segment. Looks like Subaru recognizes this and hopefully this is a success. A 7 passenger SUV with a 4 banger may be a a harder sell- we will see.

It all depends on the price of the vehicle and the fuel economy. If the total cost beats the competition then it will appeal to buyers even if the performance isn't top notch. If it's reliable too then it would be even more attractive.

And if the design is good and not goofy as the Tribeca was (did they steal the design from a Saab 93B as in pic below?) then it's even better.

300px-Bonhams_-_The_Paris_Sale_2012_-_SAAB_93B_De_Luxe_Saloon_-_1959_-_002.jpg

453747.png

...And if the design is good and not goofy as the Tribeca was (did they steal the design from a Saab 93B as in pic below?) then it's even better...

The Tribeca designer used to work for Alfa Romeo. I think he flipped the grille upside down for the Tribeca!

Alfa_Romeo_Giulietta_front_20100704.thumb.jpg.494e1d1eb045d763e65e18591171bd45.jpg

Archived