LegacyGT.com

Eye Sight Calibration, or not?

My 3.6R Subaru Legacy 2016 with Eye Sight needs windshield replacement.

My dealer says eye sight calibration isn't necessary because they are professionals and don't mess up the cameras during the windshield replacement. However, if I had safelite do it, it would need to be calibrated.

The dealer said if it's grossly out of alignment, an error light will show.

My concern is what if it's slightly out of alignment.

Thoughts?

I have eyesight on my 2016 legacy limited 2.5 and I had my OEM windshield cracked so safelite replaced it with a pilkington ez kool plus windshield. I called my local subaru's service department and they said that no calibration is necessary. Since the replacement, my eyesight has been working as expected (it even engaged the pre-collision braking for me once because I was careless, whoops). Also I've had success with the other features that eyesight has provided: lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control.

I do not agree. READ your Subaru Eyesight Manual. It states it Must be Subaru OEM windshield and MUST be recalibrated. Just think when you are getting new prescription glasses do you put them in your pocket and that it or do you try them on to verlfy you see properly? I paid around $165.00 and it is a low cost to be sure that you and/or your family have the BEST functioning safety equipment. FWIW insurance will pay for the calibration. Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Thanks for posting this @Rowlette? When I looked in the eyesight book last night, I only saw where it said have the windshield replaced at the dealer. I didn't see anything about calibration.

Reading the screen shot above, if the camera is removed and THEN the glass is replaced, it seems really reasonable to have it re-calibrated. If the glass was replaced without touching the camera, I could see why they might say skip it.

However, if this screen shot is from a dealer procedure manual, I guess I'd ask if "inspection" and "adjustment and check" is the same thing as the 2 hour long ($240) "calibration" process. Are we talking about two different things here?

THanks,

Mike

Too funny: I read the screen shot above to my dealer, asking if the camera is removed and reinstalled, why wouldn't it need to be re-calibrated.

Dealer just called back and said: "if you want to go by the book, then yes, you are correct, it needs to be re-calibrated for $240. However, we never do that and no one has had a problem".

My response: perhaps your customers are good drivers?

I'm not comfortable with this dealer at all.

I will get it calibrated, but not there.

Thank you forum users for this awesome & potentially life saving advice!

Thanks @Rowlette !!! Great job!

report them to SOA. this is not acceptable. Customers RELY on knowledgeable dealers to do things by the book. what about the other 50 customers that did not know about this site, and therefore did not know to ask about re-calibration.

This is bad for customers, bad for other drivers that might be impacted by miss-calibrated car, potentially bad for the technology (if is blamed for acting up) and bad for the brand.

Thanks for posting this @Rowlette? When I looked in the eyesight book last night, I only saw where it said have the windshield replaced at the dealer. I didn't see anything about calibration.

Reading the screen shot above, if the camera is removed and THEN the glass is replaced, it seems really reasonable to have it re-calibrated. If the glass was replaced without touching the camera, I could see why they might say skip it.

However, if this screen shot is from a dealer procedure manual, I guess I'd ask if "inspection" and "adjustment and check" is the same thing as the 2 hour long ($240) "calibration" process. Are we talking about two different things here?

THanks,

Mike

The cost is mainly for the machine that they attached to the cameras to make sure the alignment is correct and that it is in focus and verify that the lenses are working in parallel.

So your answer they really do not have to take down the cameras but it does take a little over an hour to attach, calibration, deattached the equipment and to use a person trained in Eyesight calibration.

rowlette - is there a calibration report you received after the cameras were re-calibrated? I'm curious to know what the official documentation looks like after calibration. It would be good to know in the event a dealer claims they were calibrated.

I don't remember.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160621/2f9f8d4ac118bdf5c2a437eee716f7c4.jpg

This should help so they do not try to overcharge you for this service.

Edited by Yoda_One

I too was curious if there was proof of calibration. Since I was so difficult with my dealer, directing them to @Rowlette's info, I feared they would just charge me $240 and not do it. I really don't trust them at all now.

• 1 year later...

My 2015 Legacy needed a new windshield. Called around for quotes from glass places, but decided to follow the recommendations in the owners manual and get a factory windshield at the dealer.

The dealer ended up installing the same aftermarket windshield that was quoted to me from the glass shop, along with a hefty mark-up.

If the eye sight is that sensitive, you would think it wouldn't work with the slightest dirt, dust, snow, rain, etc. It takes quite a bit for the eye sight to shut off.

Next windshield, I am going to skip the middle man and get the same after market windshield installed at the glass shop.

My 2015 Legacy needed a new windshield. Called around for quotes from glass places, but decided to follow the recommendations in the owners manual and get a factory windshield at the dealer.

The dealer ended up installing the same aftermarket windshield that was quoted to me from the glass shop, along with a hefty mark-up.

If the eye sight is that sensitive, you would think it wouldn't work with the slightest dirt, dust, snow, rain, etc. It takes quite a bit for the eye sight to shut off.

Next windshield, I am going to skip the middle man and get the same after market windshield installed at the glass shop.

It not aftermarket but OEM windshield that is Eyesight certified that is ordered and shipped from Subaru.

If the break was in or near the defoster it is covered under warranty. But you don't care since your only single post was just to bitch.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji4]

Edited by Yoda_One

If a glass shop and/or dealership installs a non-factory glass on an Eyesight equipped vehicle and the Eyesight system fails to perform properly resulting in an accident, that shop or dealership with be liable.

Why take the chance?

1. Screw Subaru and their "demand" that you use only OEM glass

2. Car manufactures always tell you to use only "genuine" parts.

3. If realignment was really necessary it would be paid for by your ins. co.

5. If Safelite screws up the eyesight they are liable and for me that means USAA would be part of the suit as Safelite is their recommended installer.

6. And FYI they also recommend nothing be placed on the glass between the lenses. My EZPasss has been there for over 2 years since car was new-Guess what, no problems

Screw Subaru and their "demand" that you use only OEM glass

It's your car, and you can do with it whatever you choose. Just don't try to blame someone else if there are problems later.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I first took your statements as tongue and cheek and it is funny but just in case you are serious this is my comments. Why... Because I can. [emoji106]

1. Screw Subaru and their "demand" that you use only OEM glass

OK it is your First Amendment right to say/ believe what you want.

2. Car manufactures always tell you to use only "genuine" parts.

That is True but sometimes necessary for specialize equipment to request you use a specific OEM part.

3. If realignment was really necessary it would be paid for by your ins. co.

It is covered by the Insurance company since it is specified by the manufacturer. They did reimburse me for the outlay after submitting the proof it was completed.

5. If Safelite screws up the eyesight they are liable and for me that means USAA would be part of the suit as Safelite is their recommended installer.

The owner has the right to install any part on their personal vehicle authorized/ recommended or not. But the owner takes all responsibility for any unforseen consequences. It also negated any and all liability.

6. And FYI they also recommend nothing be placed on the glass between the lenses. My EZPasss has been there for over 2 years since car was new-Guess what, no problems

If you look at the diagrams for Eyesight views it does show you the range of visions.

Your Car Your Decision.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Edited by Yoda_One

I replaced mine (twice now). My insurance company paid for OEM glass both times. No calibration and all works perfectly.
So you say!

Just let us know when you are on the highway so we can stay at home.

You buy a car for its safety and then don't do what the manufacturer tells you to do??? When it doesn't do as it's supposed to do, you will have no body to be pissed off at but yourself. I love my wife and my kids and ES was a big reason for purchasing a Subaru. If you don't love them enough to want to ensure they are well protected and that your ES is working exactly as designed then.......................:spin:

I have had 2 glass replacement in the past that were not OEM- not on our Subaru.

That's it I'm done, the quality was horrible you could see a difference and it was obvious.

One was passenger side on my Explorer, it was replace it twice because I complained and finally they just said that the way they were.

For a system like Eyesite no way I'd use non OEM glass.

Has anyone thought that Subaru is trying to cover their own ass by putting that type of 'requirement' in the manual? There are different types of things that break windshields; a tiny pebble chip to a meteor falling at MACH speed through the windshield and into the front seat. I would say that the latter would require re-calibration.

2 years ago I got a stone chip (not along the defroster area) on the passenger side that eventually cracked to the middle of the windshield, about 4" from the bottom. Eyesight didn't freak out while it was cracked, but I knew the car wouldn't pass inspection with it like that. I called the local dealer, they gave me a list of suggested local companies that would replace it with "OEM" glass. Long story short, the company replaced the windshield in the parking lot at work. No calibration needed and Eyesight works perfectly fine - adaptive cruise, object warning, lane warning etc.

My point is, if a meteor hits your windshield and hoses up everything, then it's a no-brainer to get ES calibrated. If it's simply sliding out the old cracked windshield and sliding a new one in, I don't see the point in re-calibration.

PS - it's a huge PITA to get a windshield replaced in Pennsylvania using insurance.

I guess @zimbonies is smarter than the engineers! The new windshield is a 1000% exactly the same within ..........00000000000000000000000000001 tolerance[emoji45] It was place/ reinstalled to the same tolerance as stated above. Yea right.

In fact every windshield with Eyesight is calibrated at the factory and the reason they make the specialized equipment that the dealers needed to purchase.

What do they know, they only design the darn thing.

Edited by Yoda_One