LegacyGT.com

Radar Hardwire - Removing Dome Light?

Hi y'all,

I recently became the owner of a pre-owned 2011 Legacy GT, which I absolutely love! I'm hoping to wire my V1 radar detector which I had hardwired in my previous vehicle (an Audi A4). I have the necessary wiring from that car. From searching the forum I found instructions for routing the wiring to the fuse box using a fuse tap, and people also mentioned tapping into the wiring in the dome light.

I'd prefer to tap into the wiring in the dome light if possible. I do not have the powered mirror, but I think the wiring may still be there? I tried to remove the dome light by removing the two screws in the sunglasses holder, and was able to get the side closest to the hood removed, though the side towards the trunk would not budge. Can someone let me know or direct me to where I can find instructions to remove this? I searched the forums and google and yet to find the info.

Stoked to join the Subaru Legacy family. Thanks in advance for any info!

Are you going to use this adapter

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RA38XEK/ref=pd_aw_fbt_107_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DZB4KW54BGGKT8MFC8B#immersive-view_1459009558801]Amazon.com: Radar Mount Mirror Wire Power Cord with Inline Fuse RJ11 - Valentine V1 Radar Detector: Electronics[/ame]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome messages! Nice to see a fellow masshole on here. There's a reason I need the radar detector. :)

I tried to remove the dome light assembly again today. I could only get one corner (the driver side front) loose after removing the screws. I used a card to try to pry the other sides loose to no avail. I'm afraid I'm going to break something if I use any more force. I'm also not sure if there will be the wiring for the auto dimming mirror in there, my car did not come with the powered mirror though I read somewhere the wiring may come from the factory in all cars. Let me know if anyone has insight on that.

I do have a hardwire cord similar to that link. Mine came with the V1, has an inline fuse, and more than enough cord. I'm thinking it may just be easier to route the cord to my fuse box and use a fuse tap. My only concern is that I think there is an airbag in the driver side pillar where I would be routing the cord down to my fuse box. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks everyone!

Archived