LegacyGT.com

Hard Shift

I'm experiencing hard shifts from 1st to 2nd gear in my 1997 Outback. Shifts to / from any other gear are fairly smooth. It's just the 1st to 2nd shift which is abrupt. It primarily happens at low speed / low rpms.

I recently had the transmission fluid changed and it appears to have become more pronounced afterwards. I changed the fluid as I had no idea when it was last changed and the fluid was slightly low (I posted a thread on this a few months ago right before I had the fluid changed). Except for the abrupt 1st to 2nd gear shift the transmission seems to be working as expected.

I'm not overly concerned about this issue however if there's something simple I can do to address it I'd prefer to address it. Especially if not taking action could lead to transmission failure. 1997 Outback 2.5l, automatic transmission, 171K.

The 1-2 Shift is like that in any Phase 1 4EAT. The hard you accelerate, the smoother the shift.

Did you have the fluid flushed? Or drained and filled? In order to proper replace all the fluid, it must be done over 3 or 4 drain and fills. Older, higher mileage transmissions (170k is getting there) don't always take to well to flushes, or even drain and fills when it's never been touched before.

Now, if you want, you can use this kit to correct the 1-2 shift

http://www.transgo.com/products.php?prd=SK-RE4R01A&homeinclude=catalog&category_id=134&parent_id=40&product_id=245&countdisplay=2&start=0&addcountview=Yes

And then completely drain and refill the transmission with fresh fluid from the Subaru dealer itself.

Thanks guys. I believe it was a drain and fill (I did not perform the work myself). I know the 1st to 2nd shift was abrupt but I don't remember it being as hard as it is now. It just seems so jarring right now. My parents currently own a 2002 Forrester with AT so the next time I'm visiting I'll take it for a spin as a comparison.

It's probably not something you'd want to do on your own if you're not familiar with working on a transmission valve body.

Thanks. That's the kind of effort I suspected. Given it's normal I'll probably pass on this as my Outback is just a run around car.

The 1-2 jolt can get pretty violent as the transmission ages. It is "normal" and mine has been doing it for years and has yet to fall out from underneath the car.

Thanks for the confirmation. It's not a big issue but I wanted to be sure I wasn't ignoring a symptom of a problem which if ignored would cause further damage.

The 1-2 jolt can get pretty violent as the transmission ages. It is "normal" and mine has been doing it for years and has yet to fall out from underneath the car.

Thanks for the confirmation. It's not a big issue but I wanted to be sure I wasn't ignoring a symptom of a problem which if ignored would cause further damage.

The 1-2 Shift is like that in any Phase 1 4EAT. The hard you accelerate, the smoother the shift.

nah, don't thank me. lol

I attributed this one to generalnessness...

Well, there were only two people who had responded at the time I made it. I didn't see the need to thank each person individually.

And this was to something else I had said.

And it was an acknowledgment of my appreciation for your response.

But really though, I'm just messing around. Sometimes I get bored.

No problem. Just want you to know that I did appreciate your input. People such as yourself are what make these boards helpful.

My AT in 95 Legacy L only shifts hard 1 - 2 when it's cold especially in cold weather. I let the car warm up a few minutes then easy driving until the temp is at normal operation and the problem is non-existent. It only has ~77k on it though...

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

Check out 2nd Gen Legacy Enthusiast & Resource Directory

My AT in 95 Legacy L only shifts hard 1 - 2 when it's cold especially in cold weather. I let the car warm up a few minutes then easy driving until the temp is at normal operation and the problem is non-existent. It only has ~77k on it though...

The problem doesn't appear to change with temperature. It's odd because sometimes it shifts hard and other times not. As Kennyfvholla said it does appear to be related to engine speed / acceleration. As he noted it's less abrupt under hard acceleration. I was surprised at 5-10 MPH it shifted so hard.

Anyway if it's normal and won't significantly accelerate the demise of the transmission I'm fine with it. It's my run around car.

Archived