LegacyGT.com

05 legacy gt audio help...

i bought a 05 legacy gt... i was wondering what people have done in terms of upgrading thier headunit.... im a noob.... im a first time subaru owner... ive seen threads of the jdm hvac double din conversion... but i just recently bought this car and funds arent as vast as i would like them to be... any insight and info is greatly appreciated... i would love to see some pics of what other members have done... and if anyone in nyc wants to do my system pm me with a quote... thanks....

Check out the Audio sub-forum. Your options are basically null as far as upgrading the HU, it is integrated with the HVAC controls. So your only option is the JDM unit.

Otherwise you can use add on stuff to upgrade the outputs and run accessories, or get a din cubby for above your stereo and go from there....

Unfortunately, the HU on these cars is a major fail if you have any interest id upgrading :mad:

For me, I got a stock sub and XM unit and I'm content. But I'm no audiophile

what you say is only HALF true.

There is a kit from crutchfield to put a single din in the location of the HU and keep your stock HVAC controls.

it requires some cutting and re-wire, but for the cheaper of the options, its right up there on a DIY weekend gig.

My buddy zenbaru here in Hampton Roads did it before he left for CT.

Ill see if I can nab a picture or two, or have him get in here to discuss and elabortae on what he did

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.

what you say is only HALF true.

There is a kit from crutchfield to put a single din in the location of the HU and keep your stock HVAC controls.

it requires some cutting and re-wire, but for the cheaper of the options, its right up there on a DIY weekend gig.

My buddy zenbaru here in Hampton Roads did it before he left for CT.

Ill see if I can nab a picture or two, or have him get in here to discuss and elabortae on what he did

That only works if you maual controls. If not it's JDM, Stock hack, OEM intagration, or two stereos.

I have seen the kits for the manual controls... but they are new faceplates, so I don't understand what you would need to cut or rewire, aside from the usual wiring harness for any aftermarket stereo....

I'm gonna head to crutchfield and see whats up

Edit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120998901/Subaru-Legacy-Outback-In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html?search=subaru+legacy

Yep... manual controls only

I have seen the kits for the manual controls... but they are new faceplates, so I don't understand what you would need to cut or rewire, aside from the usual wiring harness for any aftermarket stereo....

I'm gonna head to crutchfield and see whats up

Edit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120998901/Subaru-Legacy-Outback-In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html?search=subaru+legacy

Yep... manual controls only

That won't work for a GT

I did the cubby option

There are many paths for this and it all depends on what you're actually trying to do. As a few have said, the audio forum has a plethora of information.

What it really comes down to is this question: are you keeping the stock HU or are you replacing it? (assuming that you have the climate control and not the base HVAC system)

If you're going to keep it:

• wiring harness to add subwoofer connection (normal line), and you'll need a lineout converter or an amp that can handle it.
  • Jazzy mod to allow use of mp3/ipod.
  • Scosche mod which connects directly via the antenna vs just using a transmitter for the mp3 player.

If you replace it:

• AVO JDM HVAC (~$350-400 US) for Double Din
  • New Stock headunit (07-09) which allows has an MP3 connector
  • Cubby pod mod which allows you to use the stock HVAC unit.

There are a few more, but they were extremely difficult or didn't fit what I was looking for.

As for me, I was looking to spend the same amount of money for a new headunit, so I bought the AVO JDM HVAC and modified a crutchfield single din kit (for the base leggie) that came with my stereo. This only required cutting the kit and nothing else. You can see a picture of it in my album here: http://legacygt.com/forums/album.php?albumid=415&pictureid=4289

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=415&pictureid=4289

Archived