LegacyGT.com

New to Subaru! Fan wiring issue.

Hello! I'm new here and glad to have found this forum. I purchased my son a 2008 Legacy 3R for his 16th birthday and although it has issues, I figured it would be a good "teach your kid to work on cars" project. It has many small problems but nothing we hopefully can't handle. :) I'm used to working on American cars so this will be a learning experience for me as well.

The first issue I'd love to get some advice on is a fan module that someone hacked. It's a Denso 499300-3200 that the left fan was disconnected from. They also installed some killer wiring and connected it in some other kind of module. When the car starts the left fan goes full blast and never stops. I've attempted re-attach the left fan to where it was removed from but the fan never kicks on. The right fan seems to be fine connected to the Denso module. A bad module indication which is probably why it was hacked? Any recommendations where I should buy a used (possibly new) Denso module?

Thanks again!

20200910_173709.thumb.jpg.64fc2615c928c2a5803afbaeefea9b4d.jpg

20200910_173659.thumb.jpg.b0e7c649a42ae3237705f0884a7878c8.jpg

Edited by mijohnst

I would wager the fan control module is faulty and they did that to keep it running to prevent overheating. Probably a dealer only part, or comes connected to the entire fan unit itself....

https://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/p/Subaru_2008_Legacy/AC-Condenser-Fan-Fan-and-Motor/49282689/73310AG02A.html

or start calling your local junkyards to see if they have any 3.0 Legacy's around

Edited by Rusty9

Thank you guys for the information! I found one Legacy at our PYP place but when I got there the fans and module had been removed. It might have worked anyway because it was a 4 cylinder instead of the 6. I might have to bite the bullet and order from the dealer. :(

Holy cow! Thank you for the manual Max!

Edited by mijohnst