LegacyGT.com

Perrin TMIC Coupler (Throttle Body Hose)

Ever since the Perrin shifter bushing came out, and we verified that it fits our cars, I have been in contact with Perrin Performance to keep abreast of 2015 WRX parts that come to market. Since there are many similarities between the 2015 WRX, 2014 Forester XT and various 2010+ Legacy models and factory equipment, I am hopeful that, in working with Perrin, some new aftermarket support can be discovered for our cars. As we all know, getting the aftermarket support for the 5th Gen Legacy platform has been difficult and sparse as the market cannot bear the entire cost of R&D specifically for our cars, especially with the rarity of the 5th Gen Legacy GT. It is simply not economically feasible for many small, performance oriented manufacturers and tuners to do.

I want to be clear that I am in no way affiliated with Perrin or promoting their products, and I want to be completely transparent with this community. The Perrin Performance brand in the Subaru community overall is well respected and I believe it speaks for itself. I do however, have a very, very informal arrangement them, in that, when I believe a part that they bring to market for another platform will fit the 2010+ Legacy, I am ordering the part and they are giving me a small discount to ease my financial risk should said part not actually fit when I do the install. This is in exchange for helping them widen their potential market into the 2010+ Legacy platform, with my ultimate goal being benefit for our community. I am hopeful that in the near future the number of aftermarket part offerings from Perrin for the 2010+ Legacy will grow and we might have a section for the 2010+ Legacy on their website.

Perrin TMIC Coupler Kit for '08-'15 WRX (Part No. PSPENG321)

http://perrinperformance.com/i-17660130-coupler-kit-for-2008-15-wrx-top-mount-intercooler.html

Note: This is for the Legacy GT Turbo models only

Intercooler Fitment List

OEM (excellent - GTEASER and others)

RacerX (excellent - jojorios)

AVO (unconfirmed)

Interestingly enough, not only does this fit the 2015 WRX, but also all WRX's back to 2008. How no one ever tried fitting this to the 2010+ Legacy GT years ago, I have no idea. This also fits the 2014 Forester XT and it should fit the '05-'09 Legacy GT as well.

This is a "Kit" and comes with the properly sized T-bolt clamps, very nice ones too. So no need to order the clamps separately from somewhere else. This is confirmed to work with the OEM TMIC and should work with the RacerX TMIC and the AVO TMIC since they use the factory mounting location and work with the factory coupler.

20140619_124417.thumb.jpg.67ba9af7827025eebf8eecc5b4e30942.jpg

20140626_220241.thumb.jpg.316a7d57f0bb4214406c5b219ba6c2b3.jpg

Here is the Perrin hose next to our horrible factory one with those problematic couplers.

20140626_201604.thumb.jpg.ba4200230936dca0185182e92d46e161.jpg

Here is a link to acumenhokie's infamous Fart/Whine thread. Check out the video in the first post for a good laugh.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/hvac-fart-whine-under-heavy-boost-185781.html

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installation and Helpful Hints

Remove the intercooler by loosening the TB and charge pipe clamps, remove the two bolts, one on either side, that hold the intercooler onto the mounting brackets and remove the charge pipe. Loosen the TB hose clamp at the TB, note the orientation of the hose and remove.

For the install, silicone spray is your friend. I used this.

71eTaxDYRWL__SL1500_.thumb.jpg.9cd4ffcc06acf1efc9499b7f227f8cf2.jpg

Hold the Perrin coupler so you can read the logo and place a T-bolt clamp on the left side (in the pic at the end of the last post its the side toward the bottom of the pic with the longer straight section) with the bolt facing you and the nut up. Rotate it between 60 and90 degrees clockwise looking from the left end. Spray some silicone spray around inside the end with the clamp and slip it over the throttle body. It should slide right on. You want to orient the coupler on the throttle body much the same way as the OEM hose.

20140626_210704.thumb.jpg.6428f9c5df41569a2dfe85f2ba68d2c5.jpg

This will take some trial and error to get it close, and at the same time making the clamp accessible from between the left (drivers side) intake runners of the intake manifold as in the picture below. I used a 1/4" socket with about an 8" of extension to reach the clamp.

20140626_210714.thumb.jpg.7d71c7c49c71e6565a42f0ba82e25b03.jpg

This is viewed from the front of the engine under the intake runners. Note the RED arrow.

20140626_210931.thumb.jpg.ecc9789c8d1db5b0e4f7fac6ce67720d.jpg

Tighten the clamp over the TB enough to hold the coupler in place.

At this point spray some silicone spray on the other end of the coupler and test fit the TMIC. It should slide right over the hose and into place. If you get it on the first try, awesome, if not, it will be very apparent that the coupler needs to be spun a little because it will not fit all the way onto the intercooler and the intercooler will be no where near lining up with the holes of the brackets on either side.

Remove the coupler from the throttle body, noting which way and how much it needs to be rotated and spin the TB end clamp the same amount the opposite direction, spray some silicone on it and reinstall onto the throttle body in the new orientation. Once again partially tightened the clamp to hold it in place and test fit the TMIC.

Once you are sure that the coupler is rotated correctly, put the other T-bolt clamp on the TMIC end of the coupler, once again with the bolt toward you and nut up, spray some silicone on the inside surfaces of the hose and reinstall the TMIC. It should slip right on, all the way up to the shoulder (on all sides) of the TMIC and the bracket mounting holes should line up within about 1/8" of where they should be.

Tighten the clamps to 75 inch/pounds per the Perrin instructions (6 foot/pounds), reinstall the charge pipe, tighten that clamp and reinstall the two bolts holding the intercooler to the mounting brackets.

You're done!!!

20140626_214330.thumb.jpg.3a7d8642b6b6fb29e0a743b85a5bd45a.jpg

20140626_214344.thumb.jpg.c4d8a9bf849766a02b9f0e00a20e27ef.jpg

IMO the fit of the Perrin Coupler is fantastic!!! And the T-bolt clamps are top notch!! I didn't run into any issues at all and it was a fairly easy install.

I saw this when Perrin first released it. There are down the street from me and I have a few buddies who work there. They all told me it will fit the lgt perfectly. I was going to buy it, but I'm waiting for the Grimmspeed tmic to see if this is needed or not

For those that have issues with the racer x TMIC and stock coupler....does this seem like it would help? I know it's a bit of a stretch to get the stock one to connect.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Bryan has a longer one available I believe. Contact him.

For those that have issues with the racer x TMIC and stock coupler....does this seem like it would help? I know it's a bit of a stretch to get the stock one to connect.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

We wont know if it will work better than the stock one with the RacerX TMIC until someone tries it.

IMO it did fit better and seemed a little longer than the stock coupler. The main issue with the stock coupler is those silly end pieces. With them removed, the hose itself is considerably shorter than the Perrin coupler.

Stage1 Maps

Stage1 ACN91 MTv301

o Fuel Requirements: 91 octane found in Arizona, California, and Nevada or better

o Intake Requirements: Stock airbox and stock air filter only

o Exhaust Requirements: Stock exhaust or upgraded cat-back exhaust

o Boost Targets: ~14.0psi peak boost pressure tapering down to ~12.0psi by the 7000RPM redline, +/- 1.0psi

It fits really great too with the stock intercooler. But someone still needs to confirm and comment on fitment for aftermarket intercoolers.

Hmm that's an interesting point. Completely forgot that some people still have the stock TMIC.

;)

I have the avo tb hose on the racer x...seems to fit.

The tb hose from racer x fit on the tmic n tb snuggly (nice), but I couldn't get it to line up as it was not as flexible as the avo hose.

Definitely hard to get it to align perfectly to tmic bracket... Pretty sure both my tmic bracket are stripped to sh*t lol...

Hard to know if its leaking... Because i cant tell if the air rushing sound is from tb hose or the intake as im running the k&n filter. Pretty sure its air box..I hope. I'm also afraid to take it apart to check as it took me all day Sunday to get it in place...pita!!!

Did a run with ap boost monitor...peak was 15.6 on acn 91 stage 1 map. Probably not entirely accurate because I do not have boost gauge install.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have the avo tb hose on the racer x...seems to fit.

The tb hose from racer x fit on the tmic n tb snuggly (nice), but I couldn't get it to line up as it was not as flexible as the avo hose.

Definitely hard to get it to align perfectly to tmic bracket... Pretty sure both my tmic bracket are stripped to sh*t lol...

Hard to know if its leaking... Because i cant tell if the air rushing sound is from tb hose or the intake as im running the k&n filter. Pretty sure its air box..I hope. I'm also afraid to take it apart to check as it took me all day Sunday to get it in place...pita!!!

Did a run with ap boost monitor...peak was 15.6 on acn 91 stage 1 map. Probably not entirely accurate because I do not have boost gauge install.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Either do a boost leak test yourself or take it to a shop that can do it and get the car protuned.

Archived