LegacyGT.com

Navigation Install (OEM)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/341761-backing-up-gen5-maps-unable-complete-backup-process-teh-subaru-toolbox.html

Post #3 explains why you can't just copy it to another SD card. Even the ones sold on Ebay may not work.

There, I saved you some time to go do other things.

You can back it up to restore to the same card using software if you need to.

---

• 4 months later...
Is there a good way to tell if a headunit has the Harmon Kardon amp interface or not? I didn't get the built-in Nav on my 2017 Legacy 3.6R because it was a $3000 option with EYESIGHT this year.

• 1 year later...

Just bought a used head unit from LKQ, be warned they DO NOT sell them with the micro SD card.

It's also significantly more scratched up than the pictures showed, going to buy a headlight restoration kit and see if I can polish them out. Not going to bother buying a new card unless I can make this look presentable, and get it working in the car. Might as well turn a bad situation into a good one and use it as an opportunity to get an updated maps card

According to the Subaru Nav update site, if you own a 2015, there is an upgrade available that will cost you $54 for a single update or you can pay $113 for a three year subscription.

https://subaru-na-mapupdate.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newCatalog?view=item&salesPackageCode=262838

I would have expected Nav updates to be good for the life of the warranty but that would not appear to be the case. If any, how many free updates is a new owner entitled to?

I would have expected Nav updates to be good for the life of the warranty but that would not appear to be the case. If any, how many free updates is a new owner entitled to?

My car is still under warranty and I asked about getting a Nav update and I was told no way, have to buy it.

My car is still under warranty and I asked about getting a Nav update and I was told no way, have to buy it.

Additional searching turned up this on PRNEWSWIRE. Wonder if applied to 2017 and 2018s

CHERRY HILL, N.J., Dec. 14, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Subaru of America, Inc. announced today that customers purchasing a new 2016 Subaru equipped with navigation will receive a free 3-year subscription to SiriusXM Traffic® and SiriusXM Travel Link® as well as three years of free navigation software updates from HERE.

• 2 months later...

Also noticed that there is an un-used port on the 7" Radio (circled in red) - anyone know what it's for?

Anyone know what this port is for ?

24737191666_f947d9072a_m.jpg

That 8-pin socket on the back of the HU is used by the STARLINK Safety and Security services system. The telematics module (shown on Subaru's wiring diagrams as the "Data Communication Module") sends a mute signal to the OEM HU via that socket. The car's 8-pin harness (designated i272) only has that one wire.

2016 was the first year that was offered in Legacys, and only in the USA.

• 2 months later...

I just got done putting in a Nav system I had picked up on Ebay over the winter. It was finally a nice enough of a day to get it done.

This thread and the video link of how to pop out the stereo made this a cake walk. Only 1 arm broke on the hvac system, but it's not loose, plus the screws help keep it tight.

thanks for the info and the video.

Personally, I would not go to the bother of installing an OEM NAV. Simply buy a GPS unit and stick it to the windshield. The Garmin in my Tacoma gives better directions, has more useful traffic info, displays better graphics, actually understands spoken addresses, and has lifetime free map updates. It was also 1/6th the cost of the NAV unit in my '16 Limited. The NAV unit is the most disappointing factor in my car and if I ever get another Subaru I will not get the NAV option. In addition when (IF) I get rid of the Tacoma, the GPS stays with me, not the truck.

The 6th gen nav system is so much better than the 5th gen. If you don’t like the 6th gen system then you would have completely hated the 5th gen version.

Some people don’t like having things stuck in the windshield. I personally use Waze but I have used the built in Nav system sporadically.

---

The 6th gen nav system is so much better than the 5th gen. If you don’t like the 6th gen system then you would have completely hated the 5th gen version.

Some people don’t like having things stuck in the windshield. I personally use Waze but I have used the built in Nav system sporadically.

This is so true. The Nav system in my 2010 was useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10130285-9999.pdf

This site defines which radios were available on various models from 2014 to 2018. It is very detailed and even includes diagnostic info for apps on each radio.

If you're thinking about swapping an OEM radio for another OEM radio then this site has all the info you need.

PS- I swapped the OEM radio in my 2017 Premium for an OEM radio with Nav successfully. All I needed was the correct radio and a GPS antenna. And, YES, the turn info (direction and street name) does show up on the dash without any additional programing or hardware.

Edited by billshoff2
added some details.

Just for the future reference, I also have AVIC 8400 pioneer installed on my wife's car Scion XB 2015 it is an amazing unit and I regret I did not install it on my 2017 Legacy.

you will not loose any functions once you install "maestro" adapter that retains all the steering wheel functions and more. It also gives me check engine light codes, temperature, tire pressure and much more. You can even control the air and heat on high end cars.

Another option for those without NAVIGATION is to buy yourself Garmin drivesmart 61 or equivalent unit same shape same size and put some of that black foam around the 4 sides of the unit and place it into the area where ashtray used to be back in the days. it fits perfectly and it all plugs in the connector behind it so you do not see any wiring.

It looks like it came with the car. Too bad blue tooth is not compatible with subaru's radio unit so that I can hear gps over the existing car speakers.