LegacyGT.com

Best intercooler for FL-hot & humid

2010 lgt mt. Borla exh, high flow cat, afe air filter, internet off the shelf tune. Just moved from NJ. Can feel the loss of hp due to heat of FL. Don't know if the high humidity has any effect. What would be the best intercooler to upgrade to? Any guess as to what it would increas hp?

FYI You'll get better response in the 5th gen section.

TMIC doesn't increase hp by itself. Without a tune it may even hurt your hp. For the price of a new TMIC, I would suggest getting a fuel pump and injectors and running e85 (with a custom tune). The next best option is just a custom tune. The difference between the off-the-shelf tune and custom is very noticeable.

To answer your question, any TMIC for the 2015+ WRX will work. Not the STI, and not the WRX charge pipe. CNT Racing has a cheap one that looks fine, Grimmspeed has the best looking one IMO. Don't forget to replace the coupler between the throttle body and the intercooler as it is prone to failure.

This thread has some good reading on the best bang for your buck mods: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5th-gen-gt-power-roadblocks-and-solutions-259192.html

Edited by Sarang

The best tuners in this area that I would recommend would be in Orlando area, Revworks/Mtuned, Circuit Motorsports. Also down in Melbourne area Mike Botti does some tuning at a shop there if I find the name I will add it.

As far as a tmic or fmic you will need to decide the direction you want to go. An FMIC is overkill for the stock fueling and turbo but you will probably never heat soak where a tmic will probably get you where you want to be 80% of the time but it may still heat soak from time to time.

You should consider meth injection as an other option or addition to the TMIC if you go that route.

Either Revworks or Circuit motorsports have built plenty of Subarus in this area so they could definitely point you in the right direction.

• 9 months later...
Great tuner in Sarasota, FL. TDC Top Dead Center Tuning. They are honest, very knowledegable and real motor heads. It is a pleasure doing business with them. They do it all from dyno tune to complete engine rebuild or generating high horsepower. I am very happy that I found them.

• 2 months later...
Great tuner in Sarasota, FL. TDC Top Dead Center Tuning. They are honest, very knowledegable and real motor heads. It is a pleasure doing business with them. They do it all from dyno tune to complete engine rebuild or generating high horsepower. I am very happy that I found them.

So what intercooler did you end up with?