LegacyGT.com

How much mileage is too much?

Dugrok

Hi all,

I'm looking for a LegacyGT wagon (or Outback XT) and I'm trying to determine how many miles are too many to consider purchasing the vehicle. I was hoping to find an '09 with around 100 000KMs (about 60 000mi) but I know that's highly unlikely. 200 000KMs feels like a lot (in fact, it's 25 000KMs more than the vehicle I'm driving right now).

Most of the vehicles I'm seeing in classifieds are 05 models with anywhere between 100 000KMs and 250 000KMs. I have a hard time justifying spending between 7k$ and 10k$ on a 10 year old car. Should I be wary of these vehicles or is it just a bad habit I've picked up from living in Northern Ontario (here, we salt the roads in the winter. A lot. It's rare to see a car's body remain completely intact past 10 years). I'm just scared to spend the money and find myself driving a blown-up turbo rust-bucket the following year. I don't have a lot of money to waste unfortunately.

I need this vehicle to be reliable. Would I just be better off buying an NA Legacy wagon?

Thanks in advance!

Dugrok

How would you define rock-solid though? I can deal with having to do occasional maintenance to keep the car on the road. If I'll get warning signs before the car blows up, that's fine too. If I end up taking proper care of it and it could still explode for no good reason, then I think it would be problematic for me.

Sounds reasonable to me. Is the turbo blowing up a very common occurrence?

removing the cat-fight.

At the mileage you are looking at, the lack of proper maintenance really starts to make a difference. If you are financially challenged, a 100k-250k turbo car is out of your budget unless you can find a well-maintained car in good shape. Even then, you need to stay on top of the maintenance.

A NA (no turbo) has less issues and might be a better choice until you can make the financial commitment. Expect to spend $3k-$10k over the 2 years of ownership on a high mileage turbo car, mostly on the rebuild. :eek:

Thanks Boxkita,

That's the kind of information I was looking for. That's definitely more than I was expecting to budget for maintenance.

Cheers!

Sorry. Not trying to chase you away. When properly maintained, they are great cars. However, at the current mileage, the rebuild threads outnumber the "I rolled 200k miles on the original motor/turbo" threads.

No, that's now how I was taking it at all. It's just that if I'm going to own one of these cars, I'd like for it to last. Ideally I'd rebuild to motor if it did blow, but this is beyond my current means is all. I'd rather find out now than buy the car and be left with a 10k$ loan for a car that no longer does what I need it to do.

Thanks again!

No, that's now how I was taking it at all. It's just that if I'm going to own one of these cars, I'd like for it to last. Ideally I'd rebuild to motor if it did blow, but this is beyond my current means is all. I'd rather find out now than buy the car and be left with a 10k$ loan for a car that no longer does what I need it to do.

Thanks again!

Many of us have been there, and, it's not a fun place to be.

Personally, if I could find a good low-mileage 3.0R 08/09, that's what I'd shoot for in your case. All of the down-low torque of the turbo, excellent cruising and towing capability, and the 3.0 H6 is a sweet engine, with pretty decent mileage.

Drivetrain is upgraded, all have Si-Drive, VDC and VTD in 08+, and the front/rear torque balance is definitely toward the rear 45/55 powered through an exceptional center differential controlling everything.

Basically, maintain and drive it. My Master Tech loved the 3.0 H6's reliability - it is his favorite engine for non-issues.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Personally, if I could find a good low-mileage 3.0R 08/09, that's what I'd shoot for in your case. All of the down-low torque of the turbo, excellent cruising and towing capability, and the 3.0 H6 is a sweet engine, with pretty decent mileage.

Drivetrain is upgraded, all have Si-Drive, VDC and VTD in 08+, and the front/rear torque balance is definitely toward the rear 45/55 powered through an exceptional center differential controlling everything.

Basically, maintain and drive it. My Master Tech loved the 3.0 H6's reliability - it is his favorite engine for non-issues.

This could indeed be interesting. I'm just wondering what my chances are of finding a 3.0r in a wagon. Do you think it's at all likely?

This could indeed be interesting. I'm just wondering what my chances are of finding a 3.0r in a wagon. Do you think it's at all likely?

Very likely. See searchtempest. I know that as of a few days ago, there was at least one 3.0R 4th gen wagon on there.

Cool, I'd never heard of searchtempest before.

Did a quick search and there are none in Canada atm. I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks!

Oh, Canada. (O! Canada! ? ) Um, I think the last one I found was in Boise, ID, maybe? Was an 08-09, would be worth getting, since you guys can take our cars up easier than for us to bring them down.. :spin:

Oh, Canada. (O! Canada! ? ) Um, I think the last one I found was in Boise, ID, maybe? Was an 08-09, would be worth getting, since you guys can take our cars up easier than for us to bring them down.. :spin:

Yeah... Canada...

Tbh, it's not super easy to bring up a car from the States either. I wouldn't rule it out, but I can buy it, pay for it, and get stuck at the border 10 000$ poorer lol. Even if the car was nearby in like Michigan or Wisconsin or New York it'd be a gamble imo.

If you want rock-solid reliability, then yes, go with an NA.

Yeah im on another search for my Third Legacy and I am honestly torn btwn getting a LGT or a 2.5i. Only bc i want a 08-09 and I know the LGTs from that era even with low miles (<100K miles) could cost me big in the near future.

I guess you could get a warranty that covers that stuff and weight the price btwn it and out-of-pocket shortblock rebuilding.

I was in a similar situation...

I had the choice to get a 2005 Legacy GT, Outback XT, or 3.0R.

I went with the 3.0R due to the service history and everything I read on here. Only reason I didn't get the turbo was that the maintenance history didn't look good and it was at 125K. I bought my 3.0R with 107K. Both of the cars were priced the same so all I had to do was pick which one would last longer. 3.0R is more boring, but $$$ over fun. If I were to get a turbo fun car, I think it would be a Mazdaspeed Miata in LavaOrange.

Archived