LegacyGT.com

(NZ) About to go get my 2010 legacy GT tuned at torque performance.

2010 5EAT Legacy GT

Hey All,

I recently got an exhaust cutout before the Y-pipe and mufflers and was looking for a tune for a bit more HP and to make sure everything is running right. I have a 2010 Legacy GT JDM and am based in Auckland, New Zealand.

Any recommendations from anyone?, My only options right now are Torque Performance or D-Tune custom Dyno based tunes.

Thx!

https://imgur.com/AA6xddR

https://imgur.com/Ie1TFNB

https://imgur.com/Z0TeYWt

Torque performance is fine but Possumborne is the more Subaru specific workshop/tuner in Auckland. Can't even find anything on D-tune, are they a Facebook special kind of business?

Why’d you get the cutout and not just a free flowing setup? You won't pass a WOF with a cutout like that.

Edited by Andy_Mac

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

I've got the same car , might be worth noting these two threads below. One details about how the requested torque value not only controls boost but also torque converter line pressure and how important that is with the 5eat .

The other thread is even more interesting but harder to understand, basically there is a table that a lot of tuners may or may not have defined or bother tuning but it actually controlls whether you see actual 100% throttle opening.

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=21405

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9358&sid=ef4ab83ca7f3f7f7d81988e128bdc6f2

I'd consider talking to your tuner about E85 options (if you have access to E85).

The other thread worth reading is :

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5th-gen-gt-power-roadblocks-and-solutions-259192.html

Edited by moral hazard

Thanks for the tips guys! As for the question about the cutout, it's not an electric cutout, which would be considered illegal. It has a manual flange. I felt it would reduce backpressure more if I could get rid of the bottleneck at the y pipe, and additionally I really like the look of my current hks mufflers and didn't want to lose them.

Will keep this thread updated with results once I get around to it!

• 2 weeks later...

Update ! : So after getting the cut-out + HKS Mufflers, I have had some overboost resulting in fuel cut-out jerks happening sometimes at WOT in s#.

I ordered a Radium AOS for the PCV Valve. Hopefully When I get the Tune in a few weeks they can raise my boost and boost limiter to "avoid" over boosting.

Have you got a boost gauge? Should be able to raise it as long as you aren't already hitting the cut at the map sensor max.

Good choice on the radium. Who’d you get it through? mlracing were pretty sharp with the price for mine.

Just sent them a delay email on the parts, i'm stuck between new BPV valve or AOS. I can only afford one!. Getting Possumborne to do everything at once.

No boost gauge, but I definitely know its overboosting , Cold 2:00am nights bring out the worst of the fuel cutting., no way I could hit the map sensor max with stock cat right?

Edit, No CEL or anything thou, car acts like nothing ever happened after fuel cut.

Edited by 2010 5EAT Legacy GT

The fifth gen is known to overboost when you free up the exhaust.

Fixing it could be via porting of the wastegate on the turbo.

And upgraded 3 port BCS could help also.

This is due to the small wastegate, upgrading the BPV won't stop overboost.

Edited by moral hazard

Decided to get a Turbosmart recirculating unit for the BPV instead of the AOS, They say they are pretty sure they can stop the overboosting with a tune. I Emailed them to say if it is still having fuel cut go ahead and put a BCS in, but yea hopefully they can just raise my boost up and spend the time making sure my 5EAT is tuned right. Thx for the advice.

Keep in mind you can actually make more power on less boost because this turbo is small and becomes inefficient above 20psi , meaning you're just making hot air and not getting any extra power.

Keep us posted on the results.

Yea on a cold night you could be hitting boost cut. Doesn't throw a code or anything just a big jolt with the cut and then it goes back to doing what it was doing as if nothing ever happened.

Grab the 3-port solenoid too. Makes fine adjustments easier for the tuner and costs very little. They'll have no problem tuning it to prevent the boost spike. It's only happening as the stock tune doesn't understand the mods you've made so can only correct it after it has already exceeded the requested boost.

Ooooo hmm, temping, just I wonder if changing the stock bcs will effect the dynamics of the tune and potencially ruin the low throttle, fuel efficiancy of the stock tune? Haha fuel is so daym expensive. And with the stock tune in I-mode the car doesn't actually suck too bad. I guess I'm also worried that changeing the bcs will make my subaru finicky.

I'd rather only put a custom bcs if it is essencial. What do you guys think of this logic, am I just noobing out?

Will the BCS put my stock tune out of wac at low throttle, granny driving level?

Na you'll be fine at low load. They're just a different method of manipulating the amount of pressure the wastegate see’s if, anything it'll be better as it can hold the wastegate shut rather than letting it progressively open as the stock solenoid does.

It'll mess things up as different percentage of duty from the ECU is required. It's easiest to do it while with the tuner.

Edited by Andy_Mac

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Just got the Car back! Also got Colder plugs and the car is now tuned to run on 98 (NZ) Octane. Running at 16 psi across a wide rev range now =D.

Summery - PCV Upgrade, Ecutek Tune, Boost Control Solenoid, Colder Plugs, Exhaust cutout, Fuel XD.