LegacyGT.com

What is normal oil pressure?

After my turbo died we cleaned out the metal, replaced the turbo and put in a prosport halo series oil pressure gauge. The oil pressure gets up to about 70 psi on the highway and drops to around 10 psi at idle. Otherwise in ranges anywhere in there depending on the engine rpm. Does this sound normal?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine is usually at about 20psi idle, cold or highway 80-90psi.

I have my low pressure alarm set for 15psi.

Could be your gauge is off.

Also don't run a supposedly thin oil like Mobil 1 either.

same

Mine is usually at about 20psi idle, cold or highway 80-90psi.

I have my low pressure alarm set for 15psi.

Could be your gauge is off.

Also don't run a supposedly thin oil like Mobil 1 either.

Same as well. My gauge reads about 20 PSI at warm idle and about 80-90 PSI at highway speeds. I have the sender mounted on an oil filter sandwich plate, and I'm running Rotella T6 5W-40.

Same as well. My gauge reads about 20 PSI at warm idle and about 80-90 PSI at highway speeds. I have the sender mounted on an oil filter sandwich plate, and I'm running Rotella T6 5W-40.

this on my car as well.

• 3 years later...

I wonder if I'm on borrowed time

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/09/15bc27e0ec95eb2168b730d4bbedbc58.jpg

8° weather. 10psi idle. 400mi before oil change is due. Usually idles at 15-20psi.

And maxes at 40-45psi at wot.

I've got my sender mounted under the alternator at the stock switch location. Warm idle I'm around 20-22 psi, and 75-80 psi cruising on the highway.

45 psi at WOT and high RPM would worry me a little bit, although it's technically within Subaru's spec. Maybe it's an early sign of pickup tube failure.

I'll probably start with an oil pick up...see if it gets better. Car has 117k, nothing has happened to the car...although it was involved in a fender bender 2 summers ago. Got hit from the rear. Maybe the impact damaged the pick up tube??

• 3 months later...

If you want oil pressure the oil pressure switch is next to the altenator you could just install a tee if you want oil light and oil pressure.

Oil trmperature you could install in the oil pan

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived