LegacyGT.com

More Power

Ok so I have a 08 LGT, so far on mods I've done a catted grimspeed down pipe, invidia q300 catback and the stage 2 tune. Also my turbo blew so I have a 08 wrx turbo. It's been a few months with these few mods but just want to know what other bolt ons I can do for more power. Anything helps thank you.

Did you just say you're you're running a VF52 on an OTS tune for a VF46? If so, it's time for a compression test. If you're lucky and that turns out OK, then it's time for a tune.

Already had a compression test done after the turbo was installed due to the CEL coming back on. Everything came back good, but I defiantly want to do a pro tune very soon just dodnt have the money at the time

The power mod options are endless. How much do you want to spend? How much power do you want? How do you drive the car? City or highway or track? Auto or manual?

I could do this all day

Manual and mostly just wanted some ideas, it is my daily but defiantly want 300+.

Already had a compression test done after the turbo was installed due to the CEL coming back on. Everything came back good, but I defiantly want to do a pro tune very soon just dodnt have the money at the time

You got a compression test done the following week or in the last couple weeks? Driving a wrx turbo without a custom tune will lead to a new short block or part out thread.

Your wrx turbo is good for 300 on e85 but you will need fueling upgrades. In fact anything over 280hp is going to require a few thousand in mods. You’ll need to upgrade the fueling system, intercooler, and turbo. I suggest buying a dom 1.5 or an fp blue. Everyone will tell you those turbos are too big for what you want. But in my experience buy 75-100 hp more turbo then you think you will use, cause you will eventually want to use it and it will cost less to buy it once.

You are completely missing the point. Your current hardware/software combination is destroying your engine. The only question is whether it's too late. If the compression test that is now needed says it's not too late, then great - either get a tune or put on the right turbo for your tune.

Oh, you want more power, but you don't want to pay for it? Well, we all know how this story ends.

You are completely missing the point. Your current hardware/software combination is destroying your engine. The only question is whether it's too late. If the compression test that is now needed says it's not too late, then great - either get a tune or put on the right turbo for your tune.

Oh, you want more power, but you don't want to pay for it? Well, we all know how this story ends.

What he said ^

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It really depends on his boost levels, if it's about the same the bigger turbo wont be as bad. Reason is bigger turbo creates less heat so is less detonation prone at any boost levels. Plus off the shelf stage 2 tunes should be fairly safe aka low on timing for most Stage 2 setups, which means he might be running just the right amount of timing for WRX turbo.

My VF42/46 tune didn't knock with my big 16G at same boost levels, but it also didn't gain any real power (only about 10whp) from stock turbo. Bigger turbo wanted less timing, so once I removed a few degrees and fine tuned I gained another ~30whp.

Not trying to defend not running a fine tune, just saying it might not be end of the world just yet. A learning view would show more details on if the engine is suffering.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

It really depends on his boost levels, if it's about the same the bigger turbo wont be as bad. Reason is bigger turbo creates less heat so is less detonation prone at any boost levels. Plus off the shelf stage 2 tunes should be fairly safe aka low on timing for most Stage 2 setups, which means he might be running just the right amount of timing for WRX turbo.

My VF42/46 tune didn't knock with my big 16G at same boost levels, but it also didn't gain any real power (only about 10whp) from stock turbo. Bigger turbo wanted less timing, so once I removed a few degrees and fine tuned I gained another ~30whp.

Not trying to defend not running a fine tune, just saying it might not be end of the world just yet. A learning view would show more details on if the engine is suffering.

Agreed, chances of shortblock being OK for now are better than even. Note I did not use the dreaded hashtag. But if OP does not get on the happy path, sad face emojis will fill his later posts.

All the buzz words are there - I got a bigga turbo, need me some more bolt ons, ain't got no money for no stupid tune.

Keep it simple.

Vf-52

Downpipe

TMIC

Tune

I’ve run this setup reliably for the last 7 years, can’t recommend it enough.

If you want to do more mods look into suspension, cosmetic stuff or a 6 speed swap.

On stock fueling, what advantages does the 16G offer over the VF52?

I'm on 100% stock fueling on Big 16g, making 300whp on cold days and not running out of fuel at 12psi by redline.

16G is slightly bigger then VF52 so has slightly more potential. For more specific reasons on why 16g is better: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/upgraded-evo16g-dyno-specs-included-270179.html

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

In my experience you can take simplify it even more:

VF52 or Big16G

Downpipe

Tune

Stock TMIC is actually really good.

Though if you are on 05/06 you should really do a catless up pipe.

I only recommend a different TMIC for reliability reasons with the stock end tanks failing. I bought a used Perrin here long ago and it has treated me well. I know it might not provide any cooling benefits over oem but at least the end tanks can’t separate on it, it’s more of a relieability mod, especially if you’re getting pro tuned anyway.

Keep in mind guys, the 08 WRX came with a td04 smaller than the lgt vf40. In 09 they upgraded to the VF52.

Either way i would tune for any non stock supplied turbo as spool,spring rate and loads will be different and will not be ideal. its actually a slight downgrade from the vf40/vf46.

Hope that helps

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

It was a mistype I meant to say I didnt have the money at the time, never said I didnt want to pay for it. Thanks for your concern

I see your other posts state you have blown a couple of turbos. Blown turbo is a concern as others have said. Compression test may come back fine, but was there glitter in the oil? Was the oil cooler changed? Multiple oil flushes done and still being done? It could be a matter of 100 miles and the engine goes or 40k miles.

But with multiple blow outs I'll add the hasbrown #YNANSB

I see your other posts state you have blown a couple of turbos. Blown turbo is a concern as others have said. Compression test may come back fine, but was there glitter in the oil? Was the oil cooler changed? Multiple oil flushes done and still being done? It could be a matter of 100 miles and the engine goes or 40k miles.

But with multiple blow outs I'll add the hasbrown #YNANSB

Nah just 1 I got concerned when the CEL came back but I got that sorted out car has been good for months

Archived