LegacyGT.com

Coolant overflowing into resevoir

Help needed ! -- I have no codes, new radiator, new water pump, new thermostat, new rad cap, runs at idle does not overheat. As soon as I drive down the road in less than 5 minutes, temp rises ! ?

Prior to this I did replace head gaskets.

Can it be possible that exhaust gas is still breaching through the gasket into the coolant with-out a miss-fire and no codes ??

Frustrating...........

Any and all replies are welcome

2006 Subaru Legacy with 120k

X2 for burping the system.

Raise the right front corner of the car as high as you can, remove the radiator cap on turbo coolant tank, start the engine. watch for air bubbles in the tank, may be squeeze the top radiator hose, turn on the heat to high.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Rad cap & thermostat - aftermarket and the thermostat is one of those kind that stays open all the time ! - could that be the culprit ?

Why should thermostat be in backwards...? Please explain. Thx

Have "burped" car 2x with front end up and funnel technique - I could do it again...?

Most of us recommend only a OEM thermostat.

I did replace both radiator caps a couple years back again only OEM

Next would be to have a repair shop with a HC tester see if your getting exhaust gas's in the coolant system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Rad cap & thermostat - aftermarket and the thermostat is one of those kind that stays open all the time ! - could that be the culprit ?

Why should thermostat be in backwards...? Please explain. Thx

Have "burped" car 2x with front end up and funnel technique - I could do it again...?

Sorry, check to make sure the thermostat ISN'T backward...

Aftermarket thermostats and caps are fairly well known in the Subaru circles to cause problems. Even brand new ones.

I've always had to burp by squeezing the upper hose until I get no more bubbles. Sometimes it takes several rounds.

Make sure the machine shop cleans up the decks on both heads. We recommend ARP head studs too.

Is this a GT or a 2.5i ?

Update --- successful restart and road tested yesterday ! Burped it 2x and good to go. Drove it for about 30 miles and the temp was steady in the middle of the gauge, heck at one point driving through a shaded area, temp went down ! - it was about 80 degrees outside yesterday. Thanks to all who replied I learned a lot and got lucky without a warped head....

Archived