LegacyGT.com

Surprise surprise... Vf40 waste gate crack. Am I losing performance?

At first I thought it was a boost leak. Then I thought it was an exhaust leak. Been chasing this screech noise under full boost for 3 months now. My only logical conclusion is it’s the famous waste gate crack. What should I do from here? How much power am I losing?

You'll need part 7 from this page. If you're missing it, that could very well be your whistling problem, which would also mean your car is running richer than it should be (due to MAF reading more air than is actually reaching the engine).

I can’t seem to find a link to purchase the gasket

At first I thought it was a boost leak. Then I thought it was an exhaust leak. Been chasing this screech noise under full boost for 3 months now. My only logical conclusion is it’s the famous waste gate crack. What should I do from here? How much power am I losing?

Gnarly screeching at near full boost = most likely compressor wheel contact with housing. How is the play in the shaft?

If you have a boost gauge, you can indirectly verify this by watching your peak boost. Since contact with the housing adds friction, the turbo will not build to peak boost, maybe missing it by 2 or 3 psi.

If it is this, start planning your turbo replacement.

Archived