LegacyGT.com

Notchy Shifting Cause?

2010 LGT 6 mt. Is the notchy shiftiing, same as wrx setup, caused by the cable shifter or the trans itself? Sti, I believe, has the same trans but with linkage rather than cable shifter and does not have notchy shifting.

The STI transmission is actually a completely different unit, cable shifter or not. The LGT 6MT is actually the same as the pre-2015 WRX (and everything else besides the Spec.B) 5-speed with an extra gear jammed in and a cable shifter instead of a linkage. I'm guessing the shifter has something to do with it, although my Baja feels fairly notchy as well. Granted, it has twice the miles that the Legacy does, so it's not a fair comparison, and I have no idea when the last trans fluid change was done on it.

I do believe there is some improvement to be had in the 15+ WRX oem STI upgrade. Not the STI shifter, I tried to not be confusing there...not sure it worked. Anyway, the WRX has an upgraded shifter available that is supposed to really tighten up the feel on our cars as well.

The shift feel gets better with different transmission fluid as well. The Legacy/Outback was the 1st vehicle to get this cable transmission with extra 6th gear. Subaru came out with a different fluid in 2014 that is now the factory fill for all the cable operated 6MT.

They changed the name from Extra S to "high performance gear oil" a year or two ago I think. My local dealer only had it in quarts.

I flushed and filled with it about 120 miles ago and so far I'm not impressed - I'll be going back to motul gear 300 next time.

They changed the name from Extra S to "high performance gear oil" a year or two ago I think. My local dealer only had it in quarts.

I flushed and filled with it about 120 miles ago and so far I'm not impressed - I'll be going back to motul gear 300 next time.

The high performance gear oil is what is called for the STI transmission and is different than the Extra MT.

Interesting. You're right.

I wonder what's so different about it that it's double the price if its not meant for STI's.

Extra MT is 75w80, HPGO is 75w90.

Has anyone switched from the cocktail of motul/redline to extra Mt 75-80w. Is there a significant difference?

The cocktail is what someone else put in my Legacy GT previously. Extra MT was much improved, plus my car stop grinding going into reverse. I bought my GT used, but I had bought a 2012 2.5i 6MT brand new so I had experience with the factory fill and Motul 300 Gear.