LegacyGT.com

P1449 error code - Parts to change suggestions please

Hi everyone. I have a 6th Gen (2016) legacy premium 2.5i that i purchased 3 months ago. The car was sold as is so no warranty. On Sunday i filled up with gas went through the car wash and upon starting again got the P1449 code. I reset the codes but it came up again after 2 starts.

I'm going to take it to a 3rd party mechanic (not stealership) rather than go through the diagnosis i'd like to just replace all the parts it could possibly be at once if i can (saves me going in and out of the garage and several orders of spare parts). From what i have gathered from others with the same codes the possibles are.

Charcoal canister (full - also contains a valve ?) Part: 42035AL04A

Solenoid valve (blocked or not functioning) Part: 16131AA060

Filter drain (is this the one above the axle) Part:42072AL00A

pipes clogged in between canister and filter or filter to valve ?

The list of parts i'm looking at is on : subaruparts dot com

Does that sound like everything i would need to get the job done ?

Any tips advice etc is welcome. This car is new to me so it's not a problem to replace them all in one go and hopefully won't lead me to being back in the garage within a week or two.

Many thanks,

Mark

Always check the easy things first, even if they seem obvious. Did you tighten the gas filler cap properly? Tighten it again (for free) to be sure.

Did you overfill or "top off" the gas tank when you filled up? That can saturate the carbon canister with liquid fuel and cause a "clogged" condition. At the car wash, did you possibly get water in the evap system drain tube? Although unlikely, that could also cause an "evap clogged" condition.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Always check the easy things first, even if they seem obvious. Did you tighten the gas filler cap properly? Tighten it again (for free) to be sure.

Did you overfill or "top off" the gas tank when you filled up? That can saturate the carbon canister with liquid fuel and cause a "clogged" condition. At the car wash, did you possibly get water in the evap system drain tube? Although unlikely, that could also cause an "evap clogged" condition.

Yes checked the gas cap.

no overfilling put the pump in all the way filled till it clunked and stopped i don't do a top off after that.

The third is possible i say this because it's a no touch car wash and i did the full works with underbody clean (this starts as you're driving into the car wash) Where is the drain tube located please - I'll go out and have a check if it's still wet - It has been raining since then so would probably not have dried out if that's the case.

Where is the drain tube located please ...

Going strictly from memory, I think it's somewhere above the rear differential ... or maybe behind the left rear fender liner. The evap control system components are scattered all around back there.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

http://www.sucross.com/dtc_p1449_evap_system_clog_detected_air_filter_-1894.html

it is a crosstek but the legacy will be similar first thing I would do i check the drain check valve and second thing is do not put more gas in after the auto shutoff on the pump activates

Thank you for the manual i appreciate it. I don't overfill or top up (ride the clunk) with any car. i have always stopped at the auto shut off at the pump. Thank you for the suggestion though :D

Ok so all fixed - I took off the drain tube and blew through - There was a small amount of moisture and what looked like half a spider ball like their egg ball. took off the drain filter (not easy to do) blew that through and a small drip of moisture (one) put everything back together ready to clear the codes to see if it came back. Started the car and bingo no code at all without resetting - I think my problem is fixed thank you everyone for the help I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Ok so all fixed - I took off the drain tube and blew through - There was a small amount of moisture and what looked like half a spider ball like their egg ball.

Thanks for following up with the final resolution.

Pesky spiders! I once took off in a light airplane, only to discover that the airspeed indicator was inoperative. (Pilots train for these things, but it's still a surprise when it happens.) Back on the ground 4 hours later in Santa Fe (NM), I found that a mama spider had set up housekeeping deep in the pitot tube ... far enough back that I couldn't see it during a normal preflight visual inspection.

spacer.png

Thanks for following up with the final resolution.

Pesky spiders! I once took off in a light airplane, only to discover that the airspeed indicator was inoperative. (Pilots train for these things, but it's still a surprise when it happens.) Back on the ground 4 hours later in Santa Fe (NM), I found that a mama spider had set up housekeeping deep in the pitot tube ... far enough back that I couldn't see it during a normal preflight visual inspection.

You're welcome. I have a pet peev of people asking for help then hearing nothing from them again so i live by my own rule of not doing that. I figure people are nice enough to give me some help the very least i can do is update them and thank them for their time.

The tube was closed so i'm really not sure how it even got in there but it managed it somehow. weird thing is when i was filling up i noticed a smallish barn spider in the gas cap well - Didn't think much of it but may have been the spider in question.

That's a scary situation lol not like you can pull over mid flight.

Just wanted to say thanks again - Free fix so now i get to put some cash towards a nameless exhaust :D