LegacyGT.com

Anyone still have their plastic undertray

if you have a top mount intercooler, the undertray creates a suction to draw air through the tmic.

the rally skid plates work too. such as primitive. there's a thread on building yer own, if you are so inclined.

4th gen aero thread has a really technical discussion why this works. extreme geek :)

Fyi I think you might have a non-turbo? I don't think our cars came with them, I know my MT didn't. Just making me wonder if they'll bolt right up, probably, but not sure.

I’m almost positive 2.5s did, mine has a piece on the left and right side and the main middle piece is missing bc the previous owner took it off. Anyone with one local to western pa?

My 2.5i did not have one when I bought it at 80k miles - I don't think it came with one from the factory.

it's plastic. on the underside of the car. that makes changing the oil messy. The rear connector is a pain and often rips. Its not rally approved so usually failed during the first oops. It was one of the first deletes ppl did. Any number of reasons why it's missing.

if you have a tmic, it helps air flow through the tmic. Why you don't have one. is most likely related to the previous owner believing everything they read on the internet. In apexi's case, I'm guessing there was an "incident " unloading the car from the truck and it went missing.

it's plastic. on the underside of the car. that makes changing the oil messy. The rear connector is a pain and often rips. Its not rally approved so usually failed during the first oops. It was one of the first deletes ppl did. Any number of reasons why it's missing.

if you have a tmic, it helps air flow through the tmic. Why you don't have one. is most likely related to the previous owner believing everything they read on the internet. In apexi's case, I'm guessing there was an "incident " unloading the car from the truck and it went missing.

No TMIC on the 2.5i ;)

I'm fairly certain the my dad's '08 Outback 2.5i also has no plastic undertray (bought new from the dealer).

I don't want to drive this too far off track by going back and forth about if they have one or not, I just remember reading other owners saying they don't have them either. I quickly looked into this again, and the impression I'm getting is only limited model non-turbos have them. I totally understand and respect if the op wants one.

Just bought a '07 2.5i Legacy used. Did my first oil change and now notice the undertray is gone. How did I know??? No oil filter door to screw with...;)

Is this something I should get busy replacing??? Does it serve any purpose other than protecting the engine compartment from debris??

Thanx for your input....:iam:

My 2006 2.5i has the undertray; it's a "limited" though. I hate the thing and am tempted to remove it.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/undertrayiiii-p3386002.html

My 2.5i didn't come with an undertray... Didn't think much of it until I wrapped my borla (replica) headers. I put on a Primitive Racing skidplate similar to the one posted above to help preserve/protect the header wrap.

https://legacygt.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2943444

More replies I'm too lazy to quote here, one guy claims he doesn't think GT tray will fit, interesting.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/skid-plate-options-na-4th-geni-171863.html

Not sure on that. Probably worth giving them a call. I have their heavy duty one on my ‘08 Outback w/ the optional duck tail add on plate and their street duty one on my ‘05 track car. Both are nice units for sure. Can say that unless your doing some serious 4 wheeling, the street duty one is plenty fine and a fair bit lighter.

I have the GTspec undertray, and while I like the protection and ease of removal/install/access to oil change spots, it doesn’t do quite as good a job sealing off the underside of the engine compartment. This is most noticeable with heat getting into the passenger side fender area while stopped, which is one place the Cobb CAI draws air from. Nothing that can’t be worked around, just an FYI for those contemplating OEM plastic versus an aluminum tray. It certainly does have the louvers and trailing edge spoilers to keep the aero functioning as intended.

Edit: now that I think about it I never ran this cai with the stock undertray, so it’s possible I’m thinking about how the stock piece seals the wheel wells, and not the fender behind the fog lights.

Edited by Underdog

Looking at the skidplates on Primitive's website right now, seems like they have one for 06-09 and one for 05-09, anyone know what the difference is?

I feel ya, luckily they are just down the road from me :)

Mine is hanging in the garage, waiting to get a primitive under plate, but shipping on those things are almost as much as the skid plate itself...
Have shralp pick it up and arrange something with him! I have no idea where each of you reside geographically so I am likely just presenting an already thought of, will never work idea!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk