LegacyGT.com

26mm sway bar contacting oil pan

Noticed a small drip of oil under the car and it seems to dripping off the center of the sway bar. I recently installed the 3.6r stock sway bar while the engine was out. Now I’m noticing the stock one for the GT has a notch in the center to accommodate the oil pan. Is anyone running the 3.6r sway bar in a GT without this issue? It looks like the sway bar may have broken the seal on the lower pan and is dripping onto the bar.

I made the exact same mistake, but luckily noticed I got the 3.6R one before I drove it. Disconnect the end links ASAP if you need to drive anywhere. You'll need the '13-'14 2.5i sway bar (with the notch) if you want the bigger size. You'll have to make sure your oil pan isn't ruined (rubbed to the point of a hole, or bent enough that it won't seal) too.

I was able to swap them by unbolting the engine mounts and lifting the engine as much as possible without over-stressing everything else that was still connected.

Yup - you definitely want the 2.5i swaybar - it's also 26mm, but has the correct shape. I am running that in my car. (good luck with the replacement - I couldn't get mine out with the engine in there - I didn't see a good place to lift the engine from, so it sat in my garage until the engine came out for a spun bearing and I had them drop it in while there was lots of room.) Did it damage the pan, or just the gasket/seal against the block?

Thanks guys, I ordered the bar for the 2.5i which should be at the dealer tomorrow. It looks like the bar ripped the nut almost clean off the endlink, so it was making some pretty good contact with the pan, but the car was only on the road for 10minutes since the rebuild. I’ll be bring the car to the tuner to do the reseal and the sway bar, as well as to diagnose why the car is running rich. Hopefully it doesn’t need a new pan.