LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Probably gave it the best wash I've ever given it. It still needs help with getting in better shape, but that might have to wait until spring.

Also re-RainXed the windshield, sun roof window, and the drivers side window. Third time in a month for the windshield. I wanna get a good layer of RainX on it while it's still warm enough to do it.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Probably gave it the best wash I've ever given it. It still needs help with getting in better shape, but that might have to wait until spring.

Also re-RainXed the windshield, sun roof window, and the drivers side window. Third time in a month for the windshield. I wanna get a good layer of RainX on it while it's still warm enough to do it.

SC

Wait is that a thing? Too cold for rain x? I never really needed it in slc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that when it's in the mid 50s, RainX won't really set up as well as when it's at least 60. Or it could be because I'm near so many bodies of water, plus the Puget Sound, that there could be a humidity issue when it gets cold.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Doing a cross-country road trip in two weeks in the spec.B. Should I be doing this on winter tires or 350tw summer tires?

More or less going to be following I80, but will be making a detour through St. Louis and Kansas City. Once we hit the Rockies, will likely make our way through CO, UT, WY, visiting national parks.

I've found that when it's in the mid 50s, RainX won't really set up as well as when it's at least 60. Or it could be because I'm near so many bodies of water, plus the Puget Sound, that there could be a humidity issue when it gets cold.

SC

The other day I applied "the last coat" after a good wash. I've been using rain-x for years but can say with certainty that the last coat is above and beyond better for the body panels and glass. There always seemed to be a residue that happens with rain-x but the last coat is just super smooth.

Doing a cross-country road trip in two weeks in the spec.B. Should I be doing this on winter tires or 350tw summer tires?

More or less going to be following I80, but will be making a detour through St. Louis and Kansas City. Once we hit the Rockies, will likely make our way through CO, UT, WY, visiting national parks.

Me too! Kinda probably in two weeks I'll be making a trip from Detroit to slc and back.

If your plan is to do RMNP to i70 to utah. Check if i70 reopened. Last I heard, wildfires had cut off the road around Glenwood springs and they didn't expect it to reopen this year. I'm not there anymore though so I haven't heard anything in a bit.

The other day I applied "the last coat" after a good wash. I've been using rain-x for years but can say with certainty that the last coat is above and beyond better for the body panels and glass. There always seemed to be a residue that happens with rain-x but the last coat is just super smooth.

I use their products as well. Bad ass stuff.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I'd run the snows. IIRC, I80 up in the NW tends to snow way before the rest of the country..

Scotty

I use rain-x frequently, but only ever on the glass. You guys use it on body panels?
Sorry. That's my fault as I wasn't clear in my post. I've never used rain-x on a body panel. I just used the last coat for the first time and it's for body panels+glass.

RainX is great for glass and I always used their washer fluid to help keep the repellance in shape during the winter. That said I've been using Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax on the spec b this year and haven't used RainX in a while, just their washer fluid. It makes nice tight water beads all over the car. More recently I got The Last Coat and have been using that on my new ride that replaced the 05 wagon. TLC goes on easier and seems to last longer than the Meguiars product. I will likely do a professionally applied ceramic coating next year.

I-80 can get snow in certain spots virtually year round, I’ve been thru dustings in May and September. Did Chicago to CA a few times in a brand new stock 08 outback, deepened my affection for the brand. Spec B should be tons of fun. My recommendation is all-season tires if they’re an option. I picked up my wagon in Salt Lake City w snows on and rode it back to CA. Super loud on dry pavement. All seasons have the rating to get you over Donner Pass and anywhere that could potentially require snow chains when hairy. Summers would leave you wanting in mountain states where you may get wet conditions if not freezing. And +1 for rain-x and their wiper fluid. I clean all windows inside and out w Invisible glass after a wash then apply. Will have to take a look at Last Coat now.

I would recommend all-seasons as well. I pondered the same question when I brought my car back from CA to NY (my profile pic is from the Badlands). I-80 is very well maintained. Any storm that will take out I-80 is something you probably don't want to drive in anyway... just take the extra day visiting parks in Utah. I don't have enough experience with summers to give an educated opinion, but my gut is that you're rolling the dice. A/S will handle slush and snow just fine. Summers, especially with all the elevation changes you will traversing, may get tricky if you encounter any weather event.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Started it up today and let her idle until the cooling fans cycled twice. Oh how I miss her. After this winter Im hoping to find a 6 speed swap, sti or spec B 6 speed and I will keep her. In the meantime, I am actually enjoying maintaining the Honda Accord and how quiet it is. Shows that im aging lol.

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Got sick of trying to order a VF38 bellmouth flange for the wife's OBXT, after repeatedly being told they're actually out of stock with an 8 week lead. Hacked up a cheap WRX pipe I had around, and got an ebay flange. Bellmouth didn't match the flange, so quite a bit of gap filling. Managed to warp it a bit more than it already was, needs flat ground. First time welding stainless though, kinda neat.

IMG_20201101_193809.thumb.jpg.9b4519a57f01f8110df9cfc6cb92250c.jpg

IMG_20201101_184512.thumb.jpg.b004240e7ed970de8470787b4dd160a6.jpg

Edited by awfulwaffle

Took it out for my first autocross in over a year (just in time for the last event of the season :lol:), had a great time! My driving sucked but that's to be expected.

Had a minor casualty, but nothing serious. Back when doing the first motor swap last year, I ended up breaking one of the hose barbs off of one of the evap solenoids on the intake manifold. Instead of buying a new solenoid, I JB-welded the barb back on and everything seemed to be okay. After my 3rd run yesterday, though, I noticed my STFT pegged at 25%, and poking around under the hood I heard the vacuum leak and pinpointed it to the JB-weld ,which had seemed to become goop.

Ran it for the last three runs, since a vacuum leak like that isn't unsafe for the motor. Finally got an evap CEL on the way home.

At the very least you want all seasons, and something good like a Conti DWS06. This is basically the start of winter for most of the country that gets snow (we just got like 4 to 6 inches in MA last Friday).

Personally, I'd probably go snows to be on the safer side. It'll be a squishier ride but worth it for the peace of mind. I've been hit by some very sudden storms out there that end up being huge.

At the very least you want all seasons, and something good like a Conti DWS06. This is basically the start of winter for most of the country that gets snow (we just got like 4 to 6 inches in MA last Friday).

Personally, I'd probably go snows to be on the safer side. It'll be a squishier ride but worth it for the peace of mind. I've been hit by some very sudden storms out there that end up being huge.

Yea I think I'd probably err toward caution. You've got the family and everywhere is gonna be cold enough that you're not gonna damage the snows.

I have solid m+s high treadwear all seasons so I'm going to have snows put on after the trip. I'll also be towing.

Swapped the maf from the 2007 to the 2005 after replacing the one in the 2007 with a new one. Smoothed out the idle nicely, as well as the overall drivability. I was get some low speed bucking (second gear through playground zones type speeds) and that is gone now. Also dropped my driver bit down behind the air cleaner box, along with one of the maf screws. I've now lost two maf screws and a driver bit down there on two separate cars :mad:

Also picked up a jdm double din hvac/stereo bezel and a Pioneer (I think) bluetooth/non-CD receiver. Hope to have that installed in the next couple weeks.