LegacyGT.com

Does the horn and alarm share same speaker?

So I set off the panic alarm, and only one of the horns went off. I don't know if both are supposed to go off, but the one closer to driver side seems to be the horn for alarm. I swapped the connectors for the horn closer to passenger side and it didn't work. They have same configuration so it should set it off regardless, so it looks like the one closer to passenger side is the horn horn. They seem like the same horn model just each has a different purpose. I ordered some hella horns.

Yes, under the airbag is the clockspring with some wiring. If you don't have audio controls there is a plug with a single ground wire to a spade on the airbag. If it's not connected, the circuit is not completed and the horn doesn't sound.

Could also be that the clockspring has an issue and that could contribute to both the airbag light and the horn not working.

Definitely clock spring related. 9/10 times, no horn + airbag light = clockspring. If you dropped the steering column and the wheel over rotated, the wires in the clockspring likely broke.

I did the STI steering rack and linkage swap a few months ago and me being an idiot turned the wheel too far and I had to replace the clockspring. Not that fun of a job for someone with larger hands, let me tell ya lol

I also have like 6 codes for airbags because I pulled the seats and dashboard while the battery was connected. So airbag may or may not be related.

I think maybe the connector on both the horn and wire are both corroded. Thats why it didn't work when I moved it to the other horn. Will have a look tomorrow.

And no cruise control, abs light, and no horn..... I don't have the steering wheel with radio controls and the indicators and wipers work.

I can't find a part number or a clock spring for the 4th gen.... am I missing something. Is there another connector for the clockspring somewhere?

Just got back from stealership, part should be here monday.

I don't think I can pass an inspection without a horn.... guess it depends on how lazy the place doing it is, and in my area, its hit or miss, you can fail inspection at one place then drive down the block and pass at another .

Used to do MD inspections, it doesn't require the horn to be on the steering wheel.

You can mount a small horn button anywhere and wire it in. As long as the horn works when you push the button you are good.

*Saying this in case you need a temp fix to get through inspection.*

my 10 day temporary was up on the 23rd... whats another couple days lol. Car still has the evaporator test to finish so no biggie.

While driving I already had 3 instances where I needed to use the horn, someone not moving on a green for a long time(probably on his smartphone), a gardener just driving into my path on a lawnmower without noticing me, and someone walking into the middle of the street(jaywalking) without looking(headphones in ears...).... gotta have a horn in NY, it might drive you crazy without one.

Definitely clock spring related. 9/10 times, no horn + airbag light = clockspring. If you dropped the steering column and the wheel over rotated, the wires in the clockspring likely broke.

I did the STI steering rack and linkage swap a few months ago and me being an idiot turned the wheel too far and I had to replace the clockspring. Not that fun of a job for someone with larger hands, let me tell ya lol

Did you have to splice any wires?? At the stealership parts guys said you have to splice in wires for something.

The bottom right connectors, he said it goes to the wiper lever.... I assumed it went to aux controls for steering wheel.

B13_83201068.png

Looking at that pic I'd say that the wires near turn lever are the steering wheel side of the clock spring and the wires near the wiper lever are the car side of the clock spring. Have you double checked that those on the car side are connected under the clamshell or wherever they go? Since you had so much apart perhaps they were overlooked on reassembly.

Did you have to splice any wires?? At the stealership parts guys said you have to splice in wires for something.

The bottom right connectors, he said it goes to the wiper lever.... I assumed it went to aux controls for steering wheel.

B13_83201068.png

You have to splice wires to install a new clock spring?

If that’s what you are asking, no.

They are standalone pieces, I have a couple in my parts bin.

Looking at that pic I'd say that the wires near turn lever are the steering wheel side of the clock spring and the wires near the wiper lever are the car side of the clock spring. Have you double checked that those on the car side are connected under the clamshell or wherever they go? Since you had so much apart perhaps they were overlooked on reassembly.

I pulled the underside of steering and double checked all the wires, when I saw everything was correct and plugged in I put it back together and drove straight to the dealership lol.

From recollection I think the horn stopped working before I pulled the car off the road. Hopefully this fixes it.

I cleaned the bad front horn connector and it was able to power the good horn, so everything up front is right, except for the bad horn. I bought a new left horn as well and its coming in on Monday as well along with a couple relays. Plus I ordered some hella horn bootlegs and some wiring.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HFLH13J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D54RMJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For 45 bucks, why not.

No splicing required for the clock spring. You just need to remove the lower and upper steering column cover pieces or at least get them out of the way to pull the unit out and remove it from the connectors in the steering column.