LegacyGT.com

Replacement Tires

I am a long way from "needing" new tires, but am not especially happy with the Goodyear LS2s that came as OEM on my 16 Limited. They are OK, but not up to what I would consider a good tire for winter travel. Even here in NH I only buy all season type tires as with AWD they have always seemed suficient for my needs. Last year we had little snow so it was not a good test of the tires, but the few times I was in snow of less than 6" I did not feel comfortable with the LS2s.

I guess its because the Legacy has a real goofy tire size of 225/50/18 that there are really not that many choices. I had Goodyear Triple Tread AS on my AWD Volvo for years and would buy again, but they are not made in the Legacy size.

So, more for curiosity sake at this point, I am wondering what replacement tire most are buying.

I replaced those disgusting LS2s with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+. Completely transformed the car. I will rarely buy anything other than Michelins. They really do make the best tires overall in my opinion. Enjoy.

I have 34k on my Goodyear ls2 with a lot of tread left. Overall very happy with the life of the tire compared to other vehicles. When the time comes I plan on getting the continental dws06. Very happy with the dws tires on a 2011 sonata that I had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I am nearing 40k on my LS2s and have decent life left but next winter I will be replacing them with the Conti DWS or maybe even a runflat tire. I want to remove the spare and install a safe. I loved the DWS on my first BMW and had no issues. My second BMW had Conti runflats and they weren't bad.

LS2 s with 30K just didn t look good enough for my snow belt area so I replaced with Mastercraft LSR all seasons. I have used them a few times before on my subi s and never had an issue. They are smooth , quiet, and long lasting.

I didn t think the LS2 s were the greatest in the snow.

FYI, just because they are not getting close to the wear bars doesn t mean they ll be acceptable in snow. There is a different thread depth measurement needed for snow. (Don t have my gauge here to give the numbers)

Edited by cerbomark

When I replaced the crappy Bridgestones on my 14 Legacy last Feb., I bought Nokian WR G3's. At the time I thought I was going to buy it when the lease ended in July. As things turned out, I gave the 14 back & leased a 17 Legacy Ltd. If I do it over, this time I think I would go with either The Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 or the Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. Both have excellent ratings for snow use, which is why I bought the Nokians. There just wasn't enough snow last winter to verify their snow pedigree (I wasn't completely happy with them for other reasons, but that's another story).

I've got Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S, but on WRX wheels in 255/45/18. When they wear out I'll get either the new Pirelli P Zero A/S Plus or Conti DWS06 depending on which has the better rebate on Tire Rack at that time.

In stock 225/50 size I'd go with the DWS06 no doubt, the price is right and I only ever hear good things about them.

I have not been impressed with most OEM tires on cars I have had .... Not currently ready to replace, but from browsing tirerack I have seen a couple to potentially consider:

Kumho SOLUS TA71 235/50R18

or

Dunlop Signature HP 235/50R18 [For some reason this size is the closest to the OE size of the GY LS2's in both brands.]

I so wish Dunlop made the awesome but discontinued WinterSport M3's still & in our size. ~Still running year round on a slightly modded tC

Any thoughts or experiences?

Edited by mwlegltd

Andrew:

If you look at the spec sheets for both tires I listed they are both a little narrower & the diameter is smaller on OE size than the GY LS2's

[Revs per mile stats show how this will add up & mess with both speedo, mpg, & wear]

I went with the new Firestone Firehawk AS tires. I took a chance when they first came out as there were no reviews at the time. They are a vast improvement from the Goodyear LS2's. I considered the Michelin AS3's & Goodrich Comps A/S but wanted to still maintain some ride quality; I didn't need an ultimate grip tire. The Firehawk AS tires are a nice compromise; quiet yet still have enough sporty handling to put a smile on my face.

• 2 years later...

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not. I have a 2015 Legacy 3.6 at 47k miles. I can't make a decision and thought I'd poll people that have gotten replacements and had them for a while. I live west of Boston, MA

I'm leaning towards these in no particular order. All appear to have good ratings so I can't decide!

Yokohama AVID Ascend GT

Michelin Premier A/S

CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS06

They’re all nice. Buy the ones on sale. I bought Yokos.

I looked at the Ascend GT for my current tires but they were standard load and I needed XL. I went with another Yoko model since there was a rebate.

Edited by chowser51

If that is your short list you can't really choose wrong! If you're a high mileage highway driver primarily I have read the Yokohamas last quite a long time (based on reviews 60k seems pretty typical with some making it over 80k!). I have the Avid Ascends (non-GT version) for 10k miles now and I have no complaints. They are fairly quiet, seem to be wearing evenly and slowly, have really nice wet traction, and safe enough light to medium snow performance. I would expect the GT's to be no different since they have a very similar tread pattern.

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not. I have a 2015 Legacy 3.6 at 47k miles. I can't make a decision and thought I'd poll people that have gotten replacements and had them for a while. I live west of Boston, MA

I'm leaning towards these in no particular order. All appear to have good ratings so I can't decide!

Yokohama AVID Ascend GT

Michelin Premier A/S

CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS06

Forget the other two and get the Michelin ...... because I am going through the same thought process, and I am leaning towards the Michelins .... but now you can be my test guinea pig and then report back to confirm my choice or not :lol:

What are you looking for performance-wise? If you are looking for a tire that excels in a a particular area, the spider charts on tirerack are helpful. For snow performance, not sure I'd go with any of those three - the Continental PureContact LS or Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady were clearly superior in the snow/ice, but if you are looking for the best on dry pavement or in the rain, the Michelin and Yokohama do better. If you are set on the Continental extreme contact, those are really good tires, but aren't going to do as well in the snow, but will kick butt in the wet/dry - in that category, you should also consider the Pirelli Pzero all-season plus and the Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+

I am not too unhappy with the LS2 Goodyears that came on the car, I consider them better than some other brands of original equipment tires I have had on previous cars. At some point I will replace them, probably with Michelin Pilot Sport which I have used on my previous two cars.

The Michelin Premier A/S haven't lasted for shit in our '14 FXT.

They're in need or replacing at ~ 25k miles of mild to normal usage.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where