LegacyGT.com

1993 Legacy Wagon RHD Build Thread

Damn, thank you so much! I haven't put much thought into an airbox setup, I don't want to use an OEM plastic one, so I will probably end up using a short ram for now.

Should the way I connect the inlet to airbox be the only issue I come across if I order that inlet you linked? The stock ej20k airbox did not come with my motor, nor did a tmic. :(

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as it clears behind the power steering pump I think you would be fine. That is why there is that long angled bend on the end of the stock inlet. It clears on my WRX and the power steering pump is in the same spot. That's my guess anyway.

I think this short ram is a good choice for first gens: https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/short-ram-air-intakes/ape-507-f001-apexi-power-intake-jdm-subaru-ver-1-2-wrx-sti-1993-1996

I prefer the stock airbox setup though since you do suck in hot engine bay air with s short ram. But I loved the response and sounds when I was running an SPT short ram on my 03 WRX with a td04. I think the hot engine bay air is more problematic when I ran a bigger turbo because I was having large temperature fluctuations in between pulls when I was getting my road tune which mad it hard to dial in the timing.

That inlet looks most similar to an 02-07 WRX/STi inlet, although a bit different. The angle of the large end that connects to the airbox/filter is not a 90* like on the wrx/sti.

The EJ20G inlet is almost identical to the EJ22T inlet and required a 90* upward bend on the actual turbo inlet. The JDM TD04 and TD05 that was on the EJ20G had a metal 90* on the turbo. The EJ20G/22T rubber inlets are really hard to find but not too hard to make one out of silicone parts from siliconeintakes.com.

What is going to matter is what kind of airbox setup you end up using. Do you have the EJ20k stock airbox? Or are you going to use a sort ram intake?

I think you could get a cheap noname ebay brand intake to work for an 02-07 like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-WRX-STi-Turbo-Inlet-Hose-02-07-Inlet-Intake-Silicone-Piping-Pipe-Kit/171174792308?hash=item27dad00c74:g:tMYAAOSwnDZT~gyn&vxp=mtr. Some people hate on these cheap ebay inlets but I have had no issues with mine and I am at 350 whp on a 20G-XT. It has all the same breather ports as yours.

So I guess my main point is it depends on what airbox/short ram setup you are going with. Short ram is OK, but I ditched mine after I went with a larger turbo. A true cold air intake is much better than a short ram, But a stock airbox setup is good for up until the 400+ whp range.

I dug through some parts diagrams over on opposed forces, this is a 02 usdm WRX, and it looks very similar to mine:

02 WRX:

KAXH37yh.png

Ej20K JDM v4 STI:

iBDPUP1h.png

This looks to be an almost identical match:

4MrzdHZl.png

Now I realize this isn't the best explanation, but bear with me. The item I marked 7 is where the recirculation hose connects to the inlet. On the ej20k manifold there is a hard pipe that bolts to the bottom, I have outlined and shaded this piece blue. This connects to the BPV, and another larger hose comes off the BPV and into the intercooler. The intercooler that will not fit on my car. Does that sound correct?

OptTVD7l.jpg

The whole hard pipe and big ass hose situation makes things very tight, is there any option to get rid of this in favor of a different setup? I would greatly enjoy a better and cleaner solution.

As long as it clears behind the power steering pump I think you would be fine. That is why there is that long angled bend on the end of the stock inlet. It clears on my WRX and the power steering pump is in the same spot. That's my guess anyway.

I think this short ram is a good choice for first gens: https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/short-ram-air-intakes/ape-507-f001-apexi-power-intake-jdm-subaru-ver-1-2-wrx-sti-1993-1996

I prefer the stock airbox setup though since you do suck in hot engine bay air with s short ram. But I loved the response and sounds when I was running an SPT short ram on my 03 WRX with a td04. I think the hot engine bay air is more problematic when I ran a bigger turbo because I was having large temperature fluctuations in between pulls when I was getting my road tune which mad it hard to dial in the timing.

I don't have power steering, so that won't be a problem. I like the intake you linked, and that looks to me like it would match up with the 02 wrx inlet that I posted above.

Look at the diagram of the 22T setup that I posted on the previous page. I don't see why you can't get a BPV adapter plate like is in the pic and get it to work. That is what I am going to do with my setup.

You're right for sure. My brain doesn't work after dark, sorry.

The whole hard pipe and big ass hose situation makes things very tight, is there any option to get rid of this in favor of a different setup? I would greatly enjoy a better and cleaner solution.

I just did a replacement on an 05 STI that had a bad turbo inlet pipe. I replaced it with a hard plastic pipe from a EJ20. There were a few differences, but not much. It didn't have the connection you have labeled as 14, and the connection you have labeled 11 didn't fit on the PCV sensor. Come to find out, the PCV sensor is actually a diagnostic connection that I ended up bridging the connections to fool the ECU and I put in a T to hook up the hose 14 to the little nipple connection you don't have labeled.

IMO, get an aftermarket hard connection. The rubber ones deteriorate from the amount of oil that gets circulated in that inlet. Better yet, if you want to use an OE one, hook up a AOS that dumps to a catch can or back into the crankcase.

Today some stuff came in. A pair of new headlight connectors to replace my damaged one, and also some radiator stays that aren’t even close to fitting. I’ll probably just make some, like I should’ve done in the first place. I bought some mishi slim fans and shroud, hopefully that comes soon.