LegacyGT.com

pdXammo's MT Wagon resto/build

Hey all. I am starting this thread as I am embarking on a major build project with my RBP5MT wagon.

Not going to say a whole bunch right now but, I just bought a whole 07 spec b with low miles and I'm going to strip it bare and put the entire drivetrain, suspension, and interior into the wagon. I've also got a JDM PF spec b bumper and grill inbound. The spec b isn't salvageable so don't cry foul. It was a 1 owner car with less than 100k though so it's a real nice donor.

I guess my burning question right now is what springs to mate with the spec b struts. I really like what swift is putting down but, I am adding a heavier transmission and wonder how that will impact things and also I am not 100% sure the same springs designed for the wagon fit the spec b struts. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

I'm going to have a crap ton of sedan body parts if anyone needs them...

Also wtf is my site in German? I know where all the buttons are but, it's starting to bug me.

1518407422_newwheelssmall.thumb.jpg.01db55b88822d8cd398ed20753601d6d.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I'm planning on doing this as well in the next year or two with an 08/09 so I can swap the front end on as well.

I think you can find the language setting at the bottom left side while on any page of the forum. I use the LGT V3.0 format and at the bottom left are 2 drop-downs to change the style lay-out and language.

Edited by DoctorDaveLGT

So my site is in German but only on mobile on my phone. It's normal on my laptop and at work and in tapatalk.

I thought the suspension fitment was the same between those, the Spec B just had the blistien struts. I thought they were plug and play. I think the sedan also has a bigger rear sway. I could be confusing things between sedan wagon and outback though.

I might be interested in some weird parts in the future. After Christmas likely. Hood scoop and lgt brakes front and rear. I'll pm you when I have money lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long you expecting the build to take?

Does it ever end? Right now I'm focused on stripping the spec b as fast as possible. I'm trying to avoid taking it off the flatbed if I can help it. It's easy with my bad knee to roll onto the bed and get under the car. Having a forklift continues to be a real gift in my life lol. I guess if I must I'll just come under the roof and pluck it off but, it seems doable to just push through and get all the parts palletized on the rack. Figure it all out later. The member above is waiting on my steel lower arms though so I might segway there momentarily.

20191116_155301.thumb.jpg.05b21fb001ff75015804ee435599efb1.jpg

I like this idea. I like the lack of sunroof of the unltd wagons. That is what I would prefer purely from a chassis stand point. Make the rest a GT and you've got yourself a solid wagon. You're gonna have to find the rear leather seatbacks to kinda match the spec b interior or so some serious fancy upholstery work to have spec b style rear seat backs (which would be sweet)

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

The headliner is actually what gives me the most pause. I've redone one and it started to sag after a few years. Not something I want to redo often.

I have the a and b pillars. With no way to get a factory headliner with sunroof, I'm debating on leaving it, and doing black accents instead. Or paying someone to redo it.

Nice build. This is the way to do it. Buy a wagon with a good body and a crashed spec B and swap it all over.

My RBP 5MT wagon was one of the 87 built with tan leather interior but was converted to black. The tan interior did not age well at all. I almost sold the car I hated it so much. The spec B trans swap is such a nice upgrade too.

The headliner is actually what gives me the most pause. I've redone one and it started to sag after a few years. Not something I want to redo often.

I have the a and b pillars. With no way to get a factory headliner with sunroof, I'm debating on leaving it, and doing black accents instead. Or paying someone to redo it.

Had a local reputable shop upholstery did mine. Performed a thorough cleaning of the headliner and laid down a black fabric over it. They said if it starts to sag within a few years to bring it back and they'll fix it for free. I can't remember the exact cost since the car was at my go-to shop and they outsourced the work to them while they were working on the interior themselves and it wasn't itemized.

• 3 weeks later...

Engine is about to come out. If I don't get bites on it I'm just going to run it and the tranny right into the wagon together.

What's a good clutch for a spec b six speed though? Not a tranny wrecker disc but, a good solid choice for a up to 400hp engine. Do cv's ever blow on these things at this power level? We used to throw Porsche 930 cv's on our buggies but, that was about angles as much as it was about power.

20191210_204100.thumb.jpg.8d72879335620cb3feb89afaee030762.jpg

Engine is about to come out. If I don't get bites on it I'm just going to run it and the tranny right into the wagon together.

What's a good clutch for a spec b six speed though? Not a tranny wrecker disc but, a good solid choice for a up to 400hp engine. Do cv's ever blow on these things at this power level? We used to throw Porsche 930 cv's on our buggies but, that was about angles as much as it was about power.

I'm on a Southbend stage 2 Endurance holdind 500 WHP. The clutch is also DD friendly if you were wondering.

The oem sti clutch is good for around 400 whp . I have the Exedy oem replacement, absolutely love how light it is. I’m under 300 whp with no plans for more though. The 6MT sti clutch is so much easier and lighter to drive compared to the oem 5MT clutch.

Sub’d for wagon awesomeness. I’ve modeled my modest upgrades on what was lacking from a GT wagon to spec B, at least suspension wise. Also, OP, lmk if you’re letting go of any spec b 18” wheels. The way my local roads treat my tires, mite be nice to have a full sized spare. And if you decide to go black on the interior I’ve got two c-pillars I’d be happy to part with. PM anytime.