LegacyGT.com

Subaru To Introduce CVT in Forester & Legacy when Diesel arrives (in 09)

gfxdave99

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2570

Found this over at NASIOC (North American Subaru Impreza Owner's Club). According to the Japanese news source; Nikkan Kogyo, 4.3.07; Subaru is working on a CVT for their new boxer diesel, which will debut in the all-new 2009 diesel Forester, and diesel Legacy. Eventually the CVT will spread to all models.

The following is a direct translation of that news article:

FHI to Develop CVT for Boxer Engine - 10% Improvement in Fuel Consumption

Fuji Heavy Industries has its eyes set on developing a CVT for its horizontally opposed engines. The CVT will be adopted to the 2000cc engines in new models such as the upcoming "Legacy" and "Forester", which are due to be released in or around 2008. Compared to the current setup, it's said that the fuel consumption will improve by 10%. In the future, the usage of the CVT will spread into all models.

FHI currently utilizes a CVT with the inline 4 cylinder kei cars, but can't use it in its boxer engines due to the differing position and shape. Hereafter, FHI will consider the development of technologies such as direct injection and idle-stop with the goal of lowering fuel consumption.

In the automobile industry, the usage of CVTs are increasing for small displacement cars. Some main examples of CVT usage include - Toyota with their "Vitz" and "Corolla"; Nissan with their "Note" and "Tiida"; and Honda with their "Fit" and "Odyssey"

Here's the article, but it's in Japanese.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. Doesnt say anything about it coming to the States.

Id rather they utilize direct injection and 6 spd auto rather than buying a car with a CVT. Nice on my mom's Lexus, but not so much for a sports car. But then I wouldnt being buying an auto anyway.

Interesting.

From what I have read about Nissan's attempts with CVT it seemed to me to be kind of an albatross. However, the newer versions of it in their sportier cars (Maxima specifically) seem to help rather than hinder on the performance side of things.

A wait and see attitude?

I don't get the big craze for CVT...

Driving them is like driving a golf cart...I drove a Ford 500 rental with one and it was just BLAH to drive. The new Nissan's are pushing it and they are trying to be sporty too?

No thanks...I like to feel a redline and then the shift!

I used to own a '00 Civic HX, which had a CVT.. In the 5 years that I had the car I had to have the transmission replaced 3 separate times. After doing some research, it's safe to say that I will never buy another CVT.

I've never driven a CVT, but I've been in one. That motor drone is so annoying!! I hope this craze passes because I like my fixed ratios and the sounds they make. I'm sure CVTs will get better as they evolve, and their theoretical advantages will start to become more of a reality. They may even eclipse the conventional automatic transmission altogether. Not a fan though...

My mom's murano has CVT. It's perfect for the grocery getter, and she didn't even know her car didn't have gears.

Me? Well I was confused. It shifted (well, pulley'd) endlessly depending on where my foot was. Annoying as hell.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I can't stand the Nissan CVT's. The feel is horrbile and the sound is irritating. It feels like a high horsepower engine with a slipping clutch

The latest C&D has an article about how the Nissan CVT vs the 4sp auto while rated higher on EPA (the cvt is) in real life combined loop driving the CVT gets worse mpg.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

My father has an 02' A4 with CVT and the engine was able to deliver great performance when manually selecting ratios in tiptronic (fake 6-speed) and smoothe and seamless power while in full aut and he still manages to get 35 mpg on the highway. The only downside is that now his tranny is slipping and has been doing so for a few years and it is out of warranty so $6K for a tranny overhaul. The car is only worth $9K so if they don't fix it under warranty (the problem originally happened under warranty but he couldn't duplicate it for the service tech), he is going to get rid of it and get something new. I tried to sell him on a Spec B but he likes the new G35x too much.

My father has an 02' A4 with CVT and the engine was able to deliver great performance when manually selecting ratios in tiptronic (fake 6-speed) and smoothe and seamless power while in full aut and he still manages to get 35 mpg on the highway. The only downside is that now his tranny is slipping and has been doing so for a few years and it is out of warranty so $6K for a tranny overhaul. The car is only worth $9K so if they don't fix it under warranty (the problem originally happened under warranty but he couldn't duplicate it for the service tech), he is going to get rid of it and get something new. I tried to sell him on a Spec B but he likes the new G35x too much.

I didnt think it was possible to get 35 mpg on A4.

My favorite review from autotrader:

Goodness, gracious, great gobs of gimmickry: the Subaru's ECVT (gearless automatic transmission) is available with the four-wheel drive Justy. We can't imagine where you would take this car for repairs, but we are certain that the one mechanic in the world who can fix it lives in a very expensive house. Fuel-injection technology trickles down to the Justy, increasing horsepower by a whopping 15 percent. That brings the Justy up to a tire-smokin' 70-horsepower for those of you keeping track.

http://www.autotrader.com/research/model_info/modelinfo_overview.jsp?yearList=1990&makeList=Subaru&modelList=1448&vehicle_number=2636&restype=both&x=25&y=9

I didnt think it was possible to get 35 mpg on A4.

Yes, we went out car shopping yesterday and mostly highway driving yielded a 33 mpg average fuel consumption. Keep in mind this is a front track (non-quattro) 1.8L A4.

Wifes hybrid has CVT. Seems to work fine. They can be very effecient with proper ECU frosting to keep the motor in the ideal powerband. It would be a great mate with a good diesel. I'm in wait and see mode. However based on the trend towards ugly with Subaru I doubt I'd buy one.

• 3 months later...

Archived