104 members have voted

1. 1. My typical oil consumption between oil changes is:

• 2.5i - 1/2 quart or less
    • 2.5i - 1/2 to 1 quart
    • 2.5i - over 1 quart
    • 3.6r - 1/2 quart or less
    • 3.6r - 1/2 to 1 quart
    • 3.6r - over 1 quart

I'm at about 7800 miles. Oil change at 1K and 6K. I check oil weekly and see little change if any.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ your oil consumption definitely appears to be outside the norm.

If filled to the mark, most users, in the first few fills, experience virtually no oil consumption. Have you alerted the dealer? Of course they'll say it's within specs, but I'd keep it high on the radar.

yep, i know, and my dealer too. Even if it's ''within specs'', this is not normal, and will only get worse overtime with regular wera. Very dissapointed in Subaru's engines since them making the switch to 0-20W. We are on the 3rd engine in my wife's Impreza (less than 40 000km, all under warranty), and if I start too to have oil issue, they will probably lose 2 customers.

Just checked mine. It was delivered Nov 2014 and I only have 13K on it but have been checking it and so far haven't noticed any loss of oil. We'll see as time goes by and the milage increases.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Edited by vicvega

My wife and I are really considering a 2.5i base model. Considering the previous lawsuit, and the known issues with using excessive oil, this info is going to be a big factor in whether or not we decide to really invest in this car.

Making this a "sticky thread" is almost a necessity considering the importance of the data, and all the personal accounts.

u don t have to remove cover, there is a cut out. But I just use a floor jack to lift one side about 6 inches to have enough room to get my arms under. don t forget one of the features of the boxer engine is it sits lower and further back for stability.

u don t have to remove cover, there is a cut out. But I just use a floor jack to lift one side about 6 inches to have enough room to get my arms under. don t forget one of the features of the boxer engine is it sits lower and further back for stability.

I have a set of 10" ramps I used for my Suburban cat replacement. Would that be OK? I'm worried if the front is too high, then the oil won't drain properly.

I agree, that s why I use the floor jack so I can let it down and back up again after it drains. The plug is on the side of the pan, not at the rear. You can try it and maybe only a small amount will remain. A few oz s really won t matter.

Maybe use one ramp on the right side???

I have a set of 10" ramps I used for my Suburban cat replacement. Would that be OK? I'm worried if the front is too high, then the oil won't drain properly.

Wouldn't worry about that small remainder of oil. Some guys like to get it "down to the last drop" as if the old oil will poison the new. It won't. It gets so diluted it doesn't make a measurable difference.

Now, if you're still unconvinced, throw a couple of 2x6 planks under each wheel on the back wheels. Your incline will only be about 7" and you'll have lots of room to play underneath.

I second the motion for the Fumoto valve!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2015 2.5i Premium. It has 22k miles and next oil change is coming due. I just checked and I'm 1/2 quart low. I've read numerous posts on this forum regarding this issue. However, I haven't seen any thoughts on what is considered "acceptable" oil consumption.

I purchased the car new. The dealer offers free oil changes for life. So they've done all of them. I did the first "break-in" change at 1k. The second was done just under 6k on the ODM. I've always had the oil changed before 6k miles. Back on the 3rd (12k approx) oil change, I checked and the dealership had overfilled it which I had them remove the excess. Wife took it in for the last change (18k), so I didn't check when it was done.

Now that I'm over 20k, I thought I'd monitor it more closely. So is 1/2 quart every 5.5k normal? I see some post that 0 loss is normal. I'm also not getting near the advertise 36mpg rating. I'm getting 30 mpg, drive 38mi, freeway, each way to work. I do drive between 70-75mph most of the time.

I have a 2015 2.5i Premium. It has 22k miles and next oil change is coming due. I just checked and I'm 1/2 quart low. I've read numerous posts on this forum regarding this issue. However, I haven't seen any thoughts on what is considered "acceptable" oil consumption.

I purchased the car new. The dealer offers free oil changes for life. So they've done all of them. I did the first "break-in" change at 1k. The second was done just under 6k on the ODM. I've always had the oil changed before 6k miles. Back on the 3rd (12k approx) oil change, I checked and the dealership had overfilled it which I had them remove the excess. Wife took it in for the last change (18k), so I didn't check when it was done.

Now that I'm over 20k, I thought I'd monitor it more closely. So is 1/2 quart every 5.5k normal? I see some post that 0 loss is normal. I'm also not getting near the advertise 36mpg rating. I'm getting 30 mpg, drive 38mi, freeway, each way to work. I do drive between 70-75mph most of the time.

your oil use is fine..If you change oil at 6K you ll never have to add any. 1/2 down is not a problem. You may see times you are not down the 1/2 also.

Drive 55-60 and you ll get closer to the 36mpgs for sure.

You'll never get 36 mpg at 70-75 mph. I get 35 mpg (manually calculated) on strictly highway miles with ACC set at 65 as long as there aren't too many uphill sections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I saw on another "oil consumption" thread where an owner was using more than 1 quart between changes. He also mention poor gas mileage. Thought there might be a correlation. I have to agree that my heavy foot is contributing to my mpg. From my previous car, I'm very happy with 28-30mpg. I'll keep a close eye on oil level. All my other "new" cars never burnt any oil between changes. However, they were all 3k intervals. First car to have 6k intervals with synthetic.

Some cases of bad oil consumption is maybe related to lead foot during break-in period.

or alternately not breaking in the engine properly, two different schools of thought. I didn't baby my car, and no oil consumption is evident.

I will say that if you do a lot of mountain driving, engine braking, you probably will use more oil than if you are an around the town driver.

That said, occasionally a new car comes out with bad rings, and they need to fix it. It is much easier now to get any problems fixed due to the class action lawsuits initiated with the 2012 Impreza's, a small percent of which had bad rings and burned oil like mad.

Another oil change.

Odometer: 26389 km

miles driven between: 3712 (5939 km)

Quarts added: none. estimated loss is less than a pint.

driving style: moderate

Full engine operating temp: usually

Lifetime mpg or L/100 km: 30.8 mpg

These 2.5i engines are absolutely a dream to change oil & filter; so easy!

It would be better if the poll included a "none" category.

That case is adequately captured by the "1/2 quart or less" category. Real-world oil consumption of "none" (i.e. zero) per 6,000 miles is unattainable.

I agree that there is an inconsistency between the thread title ("oil added" between changes) and the actual wording of the poll itself ("oil consumption" between changes). My "oil consumption" is typically less than half a quart between 6,000 mile changes, but my corresponding "oil added" is zero.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png