LegacyGT.com

Uppipe downpipe torque

I know that the spec for these bolts is 26 lbs. however. I installed and uppipe and downpipe both at 26 lbs and they are leaking. I used new gaskets on everything. I even just uninstalled everything and reinstalled. Still leaking. It’s leaking at the header to uppipe. Turbo to uppipe and on the downpipe. Can I go above the 26 lbs because idk what else to do at this point. I’m sick of taking this thing off and on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disassemble it and spray all of the gaskets about 3 coats of Permatex Copper Gasket Spray-both sides. Then, tighten them up evenly but far tighter than 26 lb.ft. Generally, the flanges warp after the first installation and if you have a flat plate, you can take the high spots off and make them better. I do the turbo housings with a flat plate and you would be shocked how badly warped the surface on the turbo exhaust housing for the UP becomes.

Disassemble it and spray all of the gaskets about 3 coats of Permatex Copper Gasket Spray-both sides. Then, tighten them up evenly but far tighter than 26 lb.ft. Generally, the flanges warp after the first installation and if you have a flat plate, you can take the high spots off and make them better. I do the turbo housings with a flat plate and you would be shocked how badly warped the surface on the turbo exhaust housing for the UP becomes.

Yeah I was just looking at that stuff. It wasn’t the spray though. It was the tube of it. You think that’s good too or just go with spray.

When you say far tighter. How much are we talking? The exhaust bolts I’m ok with going crazy on but the turbo bolts I’m not sure how tight I could make them before disaster.

Edited by Ares3985

Anything exhaust related-UP to turbo, DP to turbo, UP to header,-anything with a gasket, tighten up evenly but tight. I never use a torque wrench on any of that stuff, so I couldn't give you a value, but I just tighten them up solidly with a 3/8" ratchet or box end wrench. Just make sure you do it evenly in steps so the flanges have a better chance of being as flat as possible.

The spray is what I use because it's easier to make a uniform coat and doesn't have any type of adhesive properties. I;ve not seen anything in a tube except for a silicone type of product and you definitely don't want that in case you do need to disassemble. The spray allows the gaskets to seal well and then if you do disassemble it, the gaskets come off cleanly and then re-spray them 3 more light coats and re-assemble and you can use the gaskets over and over.

Ok great. I’ll try this today. I should add that the reason I looked for leaks is because I pulled a p2096 code which is an excess of air post catalyst bank 1. I’m assuming that the leaks from the uppipe could cause this as it is going to be sucking in a lot of fresh air mixing with the exhaust. Either way. No leak is good so it needs to be addressed. Hopefully takes care of my code.

You might want to make sure the surfaces are flat before you proceed.

I have not had any issues with leaks in that area. I don't use any sealant.

Like other have said, make sure you snug the nuts evenly. Did you put one nut on and then torque it, then put the next nut on...?

You need to install all fasteners evenly.

Also I highly recommend you use anti-seize compound on all threads.

Also hint, don't tighten that one nut on the bottom of the turbo to downpipe to much, it will be a royal PITA to remove next time.

I also like to use new nuts on the ones that are hard to get too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Which uppipe and downpipe did you install? I found that the Invidia wasn’t a perfect fit and I ended up using the thicker Grimmspeed gaskets and needed to loosen the exhaust manifold from the head to line up properly to the uppipe for install. If you’re using an aftermarket downpipe did you tune for stage 2? If not it could make sense why you’re getting that code.

I put a cnt downpipe. So I ripped it apart today and got everything. Fixed. The header to uppipe needed 2 gaskets to get it to stop leaking and an impact gun. My code is still there tho. I’m wondering if I should drive with the CEL and wait for it to go off. Or if I should reset the code with my access port and see if it comes back

Glad to hear doubled up did the trick. I’d reset it with the AP and see if it comes back. Are you running at least an ots stage 2 map at this point?

Yeah I flashed the stage 2 the other night. Wasn’t really impressed but that’s probably because my uppipe was leaking like crazy and was running lean. I only got max 14.5 lbs and that was only once. I’m gonna reset tomorrow and take the car out for some rips and see if it feels better

Well took it out today and guess what? No leaks. Exhaust sounds great. Actually hitting target boost now. I actually overboosted a little which is weird cause I have the catted downpipe and stage 2 tune. Maybe the catless uppipe caused it. Hit 18.99. I’m not concerned