LegacyGT.com

05-09 Outback XT -- Nameless Exhaust w/ 5" Mufflers

I have a 2008 Outback XT and looking to buy the Nameless exhaust with 5" mufflers.

Is there anyone here with that same exhaust that lives in Ohio, Southern Michigan, Eastern Indiana, Northern Kentucky, Western VA or PA... or even in central VA? I would really like to hear this exhaust in person both exterior and in the cabin while driving, before buying.

Please let me know! I'm just outside of Columbus, Ohio.

Thanks!

Right... I should have included that.

Right now the car is 100% stock and an automatic.

I read the best way to bring out the rumble is to use the sudo-manual mode for "shifting".

I really wanted manual... couldn't find one to save my life. Settled on automatic after 6 months of searching.

I'll also add that I've listened to all the clips on YouTube, but you can't trust microphones & speakers. Haven't found any for in-cabin when driving. That's why I'm asking if anyone has one I can hear in person.

That's interesting. So, maybe I'll look at AVO, too. I just found their mufflers for roughly the same price as Nameless. I'll see what I hear on YouTube, since that appears to be my only source.

This is interesting, though I don't know how true:

AVO = "Our mufflers are not packed with cheap fiberglass filling like many other makers, instead we use stainless steel mesh, which we have found to last best. Sound is also very important to us, we don’t feel that louder is better. A muffler must produce a mellow, deep note that encourages you to drive and to meet all local noise level standards."

Someone on another forum said for someone else, "For the Nameless 5", if its too loud, just have a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator welded into the mid pipe, and you should be golden."

The AVO catback w/ pipes and mufflers is about double the cost of just the mufflers.

That's interesting. So, maybe I'll look at AVO, too. I just found their mufflers for roughly the same price as Nameless. I'll see what I hear on YouTube, since that appears to be my only source.

This is interesting, though I don't know how true:

AVO = "Our mufflers are not packed with cheap fiberglass filling like many other makers, instead we use stainless steel mesh, which we have found to last best. Sound is also very important to us, we don’t feel that louder is better. A muffler must produce a mellow, deep note that encourages you to drive and to meet all local noise level standards."

Someone on another forum said for someone else, "For the Nameless 5", if its too loud, just have a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator welded into the mid pipe, and you should be golden."

The AVO catback w/ pipes and mufflers is about double the cost of just the mufflers.

I ran AVO with stock mid pipe and it was perfect. Another member ran nameless with stock midpipe and said it was too loud. Another member told me AVO has the best sound for wagon, so thats the route I went.

IF you are at 350hp or less you don't need the whole catback. Just the axleback.

I recently went from stock mid pipe to 3" all the way back. Instead of buying avo mid/y I bought ebay catback, just for a cheap mid/y that was 3". Going 3" mid/y even with AVO was too loud. I had two vibrant resonators put in succession and now the sound it perfect. Love the tone, no drone, perfect growl with the right amount understatedness to be civil. If I had nameless, I'm certain it would still be too loud for my middle aged ears.

Yep, I run the 5 inch mufflers from nameless. I am not convinced they do anything. I think straight pipes would have been cheaper and resulted in the same sound. I had drone right around 3k rpms (which I am at a lot because 5mt)

I installed a vibrant straight through bottle style resonator in-line on my OEM mid-pipe and that killed the drone and made me like them a lot more.

I had Invidia catted downpipe, stock mid pipe, and nameless 5" axleback on my wagon. The nameless 5" was heavenly at idle and acceleration, but sucked for cruising. I dynomatted my entire rear area behind the seats, but it only helped a little. The drone at 3-3.5k RPM just made road trips no fun.

I could have tried to modify the midpipe to handle that, but ended up trading them for a set of HKS Silent Hi-Power mufflers. They have a nice sound, definitely quieter than nameless but still rumbly, and at 3-3.5k RPM are almost silent, which is great for cruising/road trips.

• Moderators
I had Invidia catted downpipe, stock mid pipe, and nameless 5" axleback on my wagon. The nameless 5" was heavenly at idle and acceleration, but sucked for cruising. I dynomatted my entire rear area behind the seats, but it only helped a little. The drone at 3-3.5k RPM just made road trips no fun.

I could have tried to modify the midpipe to handle that, but ended up trading them for a set of HKS Silent Hi-Power mufflers. They have a nice sound, definitely quieter than nameless but still rumbly, and at 3-3.5k RPM are almost silent, which is great for cruising/road trips.

Agree with this. Highway drone with the nameless "old man mufflers" was kind of horrid. Idle was sooooo good tho :(

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

This is all VERY good! I'm so glad I didn't just go buy the Nameless.

I'm 40 with a wife and three kids...5 year old and 3 year old twins. I want to hear more of my rumble, but I don't want to drone out all conversations and develop a headache when driving down the highway! My wife doesn't ride very often with me, but my kids do a lot. And they *LOVE* when I boost the turbo from a stoplight. :) My wife, in general, doesn't understand my fascination with this car... she drives it once in a while.

I have no plans of really modding this car. At this point, I just want the mufflers and LGT Wagon suspension. My brother-in-law said a cold-air intake would be good. I dunno.

What I'm seeing here...

1) Nameless requires a Vibrant (or other brand) Quiet or Ultra Quiet resonator or two in the mid-pipe to cut down on the obnoxious drone. But with resonators you can also cut out some of those notes you may desire.

2) AVO mufflers is a winner. Comes with turn-down exhaust pipes.

3) HKS Silent Hi-Power mufflers is a winner. Looks like you have to mod the bumper to allow the straight exhaust pipes, thought.

I've also briefly talked to a guy who put 2015+ STI mufflers on his OBXT. It looks badass with the quad tip. The sound (if I recall) was pretty decent too, on the rumble. But it wasn't exactly what I wanted. If that turns out to be about the same as AVO or HKS, then I'll consider it.... a bit cheaper to do, too. But requires some welding.

I'll be 40 this fall with 4 kids :-D Similar with me, kids love to ride, wife on occasion (she is pretty tolerant on the modding), but I'm the sole driver as my wife doesn't drive stick.

I tried WRX and STi quads on my LGT wagon, while the sound was decent, the drone at low RPMs was honestly worse than the nameless was. I tried WRX and Sti mid and again with a vibrant resonator and it still droned. Also had to extend the tips and rotate the flanges if using a stock mid. It looked sweet, but the sound was a bit hollow to me.

I would recommend that you stay away from the cold air intake, it's more likely to cause issues than help with anything. You will likely gain some noise and the need for a tune, and potentially lose some low end torque. I've read in several places that it's just better to leave the stock airbox until you are tuning toward 300hp. Subaru has a really good design for their intake, it's not like a Honda/Acura or similar where you can just drop one in.

I'm 55 and My previous car was a '05 Imprezza with a full header plus Stromung exhaust set-up. I loved it and wanted to get close to that but a little quieter for highway driving. I went with the hogzaust washer trick on My stock OBXT set-up and couldn't be happier. Enough rumble at idle to sound better than stock, zero drone at any RPM cruising and noise when You floor it. Try it before You spend more than the .85 cents I spent for 8 washers.

One of the easiest things is to remove one or both of the mufflers. Give it try for awhile, it will at least give you a baseline of what is too loud or not loud enough and it's completely free. I agree, try the hogzaust as well.

I run a Perrin mid/y with an e-cutout and the stock mufflers. When I want it loud, open up the cutout and you can get all the noise you want. Close it up on the highway and the car is practically silent. Even with the cutout open I have zero drone on the highway.

I also ran a full turboback Stromung for awhile and it droned like crazy on the highway in my wagon, even with a magnaflow resonator installed.

If I were in your position I would leave the stock catback and spend that money on a downpipe and a tune. If you like this car you are really missing out without it.

I tried that. I hated it. Flooring it on the freeway the comment from my wife was "what is that horrible wind whistling noise"

Oh just the exhaust leak I created that sounds great at start up and light throttle.

A cheap test anyway.

If I were in your position I would leave the stock catback and spend that money on a downpipe and a tune. If you like this car you are really missing out without it.

What does this do? More power?

I don't plan on ever selling it... so maybe more mods in the future, future.

Yeah, it really wakes up the car. Most here recommend to get off the stock tune anyway, it runs pretty lean. It's by far the biggest bang for buck mod and also proven to be safe by just about everyone here, assuming of course that your engine is in good health to begin with. Do you have an 5EAT or a 5MT?

I have the nameless muffler deletes on my legacy wagon (auto) and don't think it's too loud at all. If anything, I wish it was louder. Went with deletes because it's their "loudest" option according to their site. I'm also 24 and enjoy loud, so take it with a grain of salt I suppose haha.

I have the nameless muffler deletes on my legacy wagon (auto) and don't think it's too loud at all. If anything, I wish it was louder. Went with deletes because it's their "loudest" option according to their site. I'm also 24 and enjoy loud, so take it with a grain of salt I suppose haha.

It's not so much the loud for me (30), it's the drone. I think the Outback's are a little more prone to drone because the turn downs are under the rear wagon. With the deletes the tips exit out side the body of the car.

• 1 year later...

I am in OP's shoes exactly! I have a stock 09 OBXT 5MT and I'm torn between the Nameless 5" axleback and the AVO axleback. Going by videos only, I'm worried that the AVO will be so quiet I can't hear it, and the Nameless so loud that I hate it.

Like others in this thread I'm almost 40 and I don't want loud and I really don't want drone but I want to hear it a little. Can anyone comment about how loud or quiet the AVO axleback is? It's pretty difficult to find opinions and videos of that setup. Most are turbo/catback or other mods are involved.

I installed a single 2.5" magnaflow muffler axleback and it is the perfect growl for me. You can hear the suby rumble and can tell that it is a turbo boxer engine but doesn't sound like the 18 year old kid's wrx down the street from my house. Lol.

• 2 months later...

Archived