LegacyGT.com

Should I wait for a 2005 Manual Wagon?

I have been looking for a while for the right 2005 Manual Wagon to come up for sale. I've been casually looking for a couple of years but am starting to get serious now.

One thing I've noticed is that Outback XT's come up for sale a lot more than 2005 Legacy GT Manual Wagons, and the XT's have a manual option much later than 2005. There is a 2008 manual for sale right now.

So, my question is this.

Would a 2008 (or so) Outback XT make more power than a 2005 Legacy GT?

I don't necessarily want to break any land speed records, but I would like a fast car. As I understand it the Legacy GT in 2005 had the STI motor.

Would the motor be the same or better on a 2008 Outback XT?

I have to admit the Legacy GT looks way better than the Outback.

But barring that, is there any advantages to the later model Outback XT?

Or should I hold out for the 2005 Legacy GT Manual?

Would love to hear some feedback from you all.

Sounds like you haven't done a lot of research here, so I'll give you some of the basics:

The 05-09 legacy gt/outback xt use the same basic 2.5L turbo engine. There are some differences year to year, but they are all relatively the same in terms of power potential.

The legacy wagon was only produced for 2 years, 05-06 and in relatively limited quantities. So naturally they're more difficult to find, but they aren't so rare that you can't find one with relative ease. The bigger issue is going to be the condition of the car you find, as many of them have been used as regular drivers and not cared for like a sports car or classic.

I suggest you open up your search distance a bit, because they're out there. That is if that's what you really want.

Also note the XT has smaller breaks and I believe different gearing. Depends on your end goal and how much work you wnat to put it.

I would also plan to put a new engine into any '05 you buy along a lot of work....

there are so many OBXTs, LGTs, some Spec B's, and LGT wagons in Missouri I have seen over the past year. I still see then out there, and they are mostly stock and driven by 40 year old people or older and well maintained.

I got my 06 LGT 5mt bone stock, for a 37 year old lady, I got it cheap cause it had a bad turbo and leaking oil, but it had records and maintenance. You will need to travel to get out in good shape.

Also we get very little snow in Missouri, no rust I have ever seen on all the one's I have seen.

Here's what I want.

I want the turbo motor, wagon, 5 speed.

I don't know what the gearing differences are mentioned a couple of posts up but I get the feeling that I would like the Legacy GT gearing better.

I do have a good former Subaru mechanic who has been taking car of my 1st gen Outback.

Not worried about having to put some money into it (I've owned a lot of old cars). He told me not even to worry about the mileage. Just get a good body. The rest can be fixed.

My 1998 Outback has been bullet proof at 250,000 miles.

You can lower outbacks - and that's the route I took because I wanted a Turbo, Manual, Wagon and an LGT was too difficult to find.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5885308&postcount=304

However, as these get up in age lot's need to be replaced. Most any will probably need a new motor which will run you a minimum of $5k probably more.

I got an 08 OBXT MT after looking for a little while. The differences that mattered to me were top feed vs side feed injectors; slightly revised turbo (VF46 vs VF40); gearing (shorter gearing = slightly higher cruise rpm, but faster acceleration); stock fender flares = larger tire if you do some work under the flare; catless uppipe. I also preferred the revised front end and tail lights, even though it's a steel hood vs aluminum.

If those things don't matter to you or you already know that you're going to be replacing certain things (like suspension), then find the latest model year, with the lowest miles and best service history. I ended up finding one a few states away in a non-road salt state, with 79K mi. I had to travel for it, and I still needed to put in some work to get it right. But it was worth it, and I intend to keep it for a long time.

enhance

^

I would agree with the above statement. The LGT and OBXT are very similar. I would be more concerned about the condition of the individual car you're looking at.

I've owned a 05' manual LGT wagon for 9 years now. If it were totaled tomorrow and I wanted a replacement, I wouldn't hesitate to look at an OBXT, if fact I may actually prefer it based on the reasons listed above. And for a daily driver I wouldn't mind the extra height. Being in DC now its really a pain to drive this car and its mostly because its so low to the ground, I feel like other drivers don't see it.

Interesting.

Thanks to both of you for that!

OBXT's are waaaay more findable in decent condition. They're usually cheaper too!

I read something a long time ago that the later models actually make more power than the 05's too.

As far as I know all 4th Gen GT and XT's made the same HP.

Read the sticky's at the top of this forum, one will have the numbers produced for GT wagon's.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-my2005-production-numbers-model-color-83304.html

Mine is one of 108 made in its package/exact model. Build date was May 28 2004, I bought it late June 2004, 193rd one built.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As far as I know all 4th Gen GT and XT's made the same HP.

Read the sticky's at the top of this forum, one will have the numbers produced for GT wagon's.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-my2005-production-numbers-model-color-83304.html

Mine is one of 108 made in its package/exact model. Build date was May 28 2004, I bought it late June 2004, 193rd one built.

What package is that?

When I took my OBXT in for a couple weird clips the owner said he had never seen one set up like mine. 2005 Limited 5MT Black Leather interior in Garnet Red. I was always curious how many there might be. Now if I could only get my hands on the JDM black upper half for a cheap...

EDIT: Took it into the dealership.

Edited by lbwilliams44

I casually looked for a lgt manual wagon for a couple years and seriously searched for about 3 months before landing on this one. I waited and found the perfect car. A lot of good mods, stock rebuilt motor that was complimentary with all the other mods I had from my previous LGT. I almost started considering obxt's but (IMHO) think the LGT's are much better looking car, plus bigger brakes, better handling.

I like the looks of the OBXT mostly because of the fenders and higher ride height, but care a lot less about handling and hard cornering now. I recently swapped over to the Legacy brake setup though and am soooo happy about it. I just need to get a slightly more powerful turbo over stock and I am good to go. The only downside if you are a fan of having flush wheel you really have increase your wheel diameter or lower your offset.